Board logo

Anyone moved a house?
Guinness - 18/5/09 at 03:50 PM

No, not moving house, but actually moving a building?

I'm off to look at a job today and am looking for any ideas - websites etc.

The house is a single storey timber frame built into the side of a hill. The rear retaining wall has failed, letting the hill push on the back wall of the building. Digging out the hill is going to be mega difficult and potentially dangerous (I know we will have to remake the rear retaining wall / reprofile some of the ground around it but I'd rather do it without the soil bearing down on us).

I thought about making a new row of concrete founds at the front, disconnecting the utilities and just moving the building forward one row of foundations.

I saw a programme about it on five, but they were all US based. Everytime I google "moving a house" or "relocating a house" or any other combination of words all I get are estate agents or removal men with vans!

Help please!

Or any locost solutions. The building is square and the foundations are pads in a grid formation, I think 6 x 6, so 36 in total.

Cheers

Mike

Land Locked - 18/5/09 at 04:01 PM

Couple of links here:
http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile_prefer/ws/results/Web/relocate%20house/1/417/TopNavigation/Relevance/iq=true/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true

luke - 18/5/09 at 04:09 PM

from what i remember of those programmes it was a case of slowly lifting the building with air bags and getting a steel frame under it to put on a truck to shift it. Sounds expensive to me!

i think there have been a few cases in the UK, especially on coastal areas where lighthouses have to be moved back etc.

would it not be easier and cheaper just to dismantle and reassemble in a different splace, been a timber structure.

James - 18/5/09 at 04:16 PM

I can't offer any advice... but it sounds really interesting!

How ever you do manage it in the end, please document it a bit so we can see how it goes.

Thanks!

James

Guinness - 18/5/09 at 04:31 PM

I've just been round to my local tool hire place and spoken to them.

Have come away with a few options! Special winches, jacks and skids etc

Cheers

Mike

JoelP - 18/5/09 at 04:33 PM

seen this lots on discovery channel. You need to calculate the weight, insert an RSJ support frame, jack it up, and slide it forwards. Over a short distance you wont need the dollies etc.

Not cheap or easy though mike, and you'd struggle to insure yourself for it!

graememk - 18/5/09 at 04:34 PM

have a google on Pescod Hall in boston lincs, this very old building has been moved twice that i know of.

Boston Lincs Link

[Edited on 18/5/09 by graememk]

tegwin - 18/5/09 at 04:39 PM

Can you not leave the house where it is and simply drill bore holes into the slope and fill them with concrete..... create a new retaining wall without actually digging anything out....

Then once that is done simply clean up....

They did it in Bath on Grand designs... the concrete retainer was about 12M deep... then they excavated the hill out infront of the concrete.... clever stuff!

907 - 18/5/09 at 05:57 PM

Sorry but I can't do a link but Google Ballingdon Hall.

I remember it being on News At Ten every night saying how many feet it had moved that day.

They didn't tell you how many bits had fell off though.

Cheers
Paul G

iank - 18/5/09 at 06:09 PM

How it's done for a lighthouse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LvObDItqpY

I also remember the grand designs program where they poured a retaining wall here's a link.

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/on-tv/grand-designs/episode-guides/bath-the-kit-house-08-06-04_p_1.html

a4gom - 18/5/09 at 07:07 PM

once moved a railway station, but it was built of stone so I don't think its really the same

tomblyth - 18/5/09 at 08:51 PM

I've moved a few!
link
this bit weight in at approx 9 tonnes!
Tech Erect Service LTD

[Edited on 18/5/09 by tomblyth]

[Edited on 18/5/09 by tomblyth]

Ferg - 20/5/09 at 05:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 907
Did you go and watch, Paul?? It was fantastic!

907 - 20/5/09 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ferg
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Did you go and watch, Paul?? It was fantastic!

I had a peek or two through the hedge, along with the other few thousand nosey parkers.

Paul G

Image deleted by owner