Board logo

Mondeo water ingress
lotusmadandy - 8/11/09 at 07:02 PM

Guy's

Three weeks ago i changed my tin top, an 06 plate mondeo.After i had had it for 4 days i came out of work after a heavy rain shower,to find water on the inner sill on front and back offside doors.
I booked it straight in to the dealer and was told it needed new door seals that had to be ordered.
The new seals were fitted on friday morning,all sorted i thought.
Now it rained heavily during the night,so i went to have a look.Imagine my surprise
when i opened the door to find nice pools of water on the inside of the new seals.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem
or has anyone had the same problem with a mondeo.I would like to have some idea what to complain about when i call the dealer,I love the car but this is starting to pee me off

Many thanks,

Andy

theconrodkid - 8/11/09 at 07:06 PM

the way i used to find leaks was to put an oik inside and run a hose over the area,could be window seals or sun roof drains/seals

lotusmadandy - 8/11/09 at 07:09 PM

The car has no sunroof but i will get them to check the window seals.
You can see the water trail going over the door seal when you open the door.
I'm puzzled.

Andy

Mr G - 8/11/09 at 07:10 PM

Google is your friend

Have a a look HERE

austin man - 8/11/09 at 07:18 PM

my mondeo used to let more water in than the titanic, Mine was caused by a rear light seal being naffed

Thinking about it - 8/11/09 at 07:34 PM

I must have had a good one. Mine never rained in, however it would missfire, cut out, make plumes of smoke, dump its coolant bits would fall off, as well as the gearbox giving up the ghost.
And that was a brand new one, even the courtesy car broke down (Mondeo).
Get your money back.

A fulton - 8/11/09 at 08:20 PM

hi
the door foil sealer which sticks the foil to the door at the bottom will have a split in it

adithorp - 8/11/09 at 08:27 PM

Rear lights are a common source. However from your description it sounds like it could be coming through the door. Check the seals behind the door-cards are OK.

adrian

keith2lp - 8/11/09 at 08:31 PM

Hi

I agree with A fulton as I had the same problem on an 04 plate car. I resealed the door liners and have not had a problem since.

I beleive that it is a common problem and Ford should be aware of it.

lotusmadandy - 8/11/09 at 08:45 PM

Thanks for the advice lads,i have got something to tell the dealer now

Andy

jonesier1 - 8/11/09 at 09:20 PM

as mentioned above there will be a ten mil gap in the sealer that holds the membrane on the door behind the trim ,usually along the bottom edge.seen loads of them in our dealership.

Mark G - 8/11/09 at 10:12 PM

My mondeo litterally filled up the spare wheel well with water. Started smelling damp so instead of fixing the leak I just drilled some holes in the boot floor to let the water out.

Problem solved

P.S.
I'm not kidding!!!

steve m - 8/11/09 at 10:42 PM

Mark

YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT !

i did the same on a R75 tourer, and never had a problem since

Steve

blakep82 - 9/11/09 at 01:47 AM

guy over the road bought a brand new volvo last year, that kept flooding inside too. of course the dealer could never make it do it so told him there was nothing wrong, so he complained to volvo that their dealer weren't interested and said he got a lawer involved. problem solved. they gave him a new car.

er, not much help to you really.. sorry

kj - 10/11/09 at 08:18 AM

worth checking the boot seals too