Board logo

Computer boffs help me buy a laptop
bowood14 - 13/12/09 at 06:41 PM

I am looking to buy a new laptop for between £300 to £350 looked at ebuyer, comet,currys and pc world now totally confused. Has anyone got suggestions obviously looking to get the best deal for my money It will be used for home use, downloading music and general surfing the internet.

mr henderson - 13/12/09 at 06:45 PM

Would a netbook do, some quite nice looking stuff about in your price range

Generally speaking, though, I would suggest that lower spec-better make would be better that higher spec-cheaper make, such as the Advent I bought recently for £350 ish. Good spec, Windows 7, but if I don't run it on a laptop cooler it overheats and switches itself off, never had that trouble with my Toshiba (rip)

Ben_Copeland - 13/12/09 at 07:19 PM

Samaung R519 rated good budget laptop by the Gadget Show. Bought one for my wife for just over 300. It's fine, tho there seems to be several different specs knocking around.

bowood14 - 13/12/09 at 08:23 PM

It needs to be a laptop not notebook . I need some advice where to buy not just what to buy Thanks very much

SWW84 - 13/12/09 at 08:57 PM

If your not in a hurry, keep an eye on http://www.wizmarkcomputers.co.uk/

Once you've found a good buy, take a note of the evalue code and buy through Quido to get ~4% cashback.

SWW84 - 13/12/09 at 08:59 PM

p.s. I can recommend the Vostro 1520, they're primarily build for business so are of better build quality than most.

MikeRJ - 13/12/09 at 09:15 PM

This Dell Inspiron is a cracking deal IMO. 17" screen, 250GB drive, 3GB RAM and 2.1GHz Dual core CPU for £399. A 17" screen laptop might be too big for your needs if you want maximum portability, but it would make a superb desktop replacement.

I wouldn't hang around though, these Dell deals often don't last long at all.

If you can stretch an extra £45, the Radeon HD4330 graphics upgrade would make sense if you want to use any graphically demanding applications or games.

[Edited on 13/12/09 by MikeRJ]

mark chandler - 13/12/09 at 09:53 PM

I just swapped my broadband and got a free one from curry's.

The new BB deal was also cheaper and came with a free phone line, that was a couple of years ago so need to repeat.

Regards Mark