Board logo

Mountain Bike, opinions please.
koiking125 - 10/7/10 at 04:52 PM

Looking to get a new mountain bike, just been to the Rutland cycle store and liked the look of this one Linky your thoughts please.

Kev

[Edited on 10/7/10 by koiking125]

Davey D - 10/7/10 at 05:18 PM

Its ok.. looks to have just low end parts fitted to it, like the forks, brakes, gearset etc.

for that much money have a look at the 09' Carrera Fury. same sort of price, but has much better parts fitted. won a few awards too

Paul TigerB6 - 10/7/10 at 06:29 PM

I started out (mountain biking) on a Scott myself and loved it. I wouldnt dismiss Halfords though for a Carrera Fury as said above!! Great spec for the money with a Rock Shox front fork

linky

spdpug98 - 10/7/10 at 06:38 PM

As above, don't discount Halfords and the Carrera bike as they are great bikes with good/high spec kit

I bought a Carrera Kraken a couple of years ago and have ridden it everywhere from cycle paths in the New Forest to the trails at Afan Forest, the only thing I have done is upgrade the front fork

stuleah - 11/7/10 at 09:02 AM

I have got the older version of the diamondback response, i have had it for about 4-5 years with no problems.
its an excellent bike.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/response-2010-35585
if you want it local i got mine from Pell and Parker they are not far from downham market.

koiking125 - 11/7/10 at 09:04 AM

Thanks guys will let you know what I get.

dazzx10r - 11/7/10 at 09:26 AM

have a look on here http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/
they usually have some good offers on outgoing models, you could always get something you like and upgrade the parts like chainsets and forks as you are going, just like we all do with our cars.

gottabedone - 11/7/10 at 09:31 AM

Evans have quite a few bikes in the range/spec that you are looking at. You can get a Kona Fire Mountain for £440 which is spec'd higher than the Scott.

Steve

Simon - 12/7/10 at 07:50 PM

If your work does a cycle to work scheme, I'd strongly recommend you go that route as a) you'll get your bike much cheaper or b) you could get a more expensive bike for the same money.

Look at Evans site and go to their C2W calculator to figure what you'd save. You'll be surprised.

ATB

Simon