Board logo

TomTom car kit any good?
goodguydrew - 29/11/10 at 09:51 PM

Does anyone have one of these?
I was thinking of buying one to improve my iphone gps pickup.
What's your opinion?

wilkingj - 29/11/10 at 10:24 PM

Got a Tomtom One. Good bit of kit. I use the pocketgpsworld.com speed camera files, as its cheaper than tomtoms.
although I only update before going away from my normal teritory.
Not that I speed, its the ones in the towns etc, that catch you out when you are paying more attention to where u are going etc.
I find the POI (Points of Interest) most useful.

In hindsight I would have preferred the wider screen as I am an old fart and my eyesight isnt that good for small print without my reading glasses. Hence wanting a bigger screen!

Just my 2d's worth.

nitram38 - 30/11/10 at 10:10 AM

I have the iphone and tom tom kit. Its the only way my gps will work inside my car, so yes get one.
The only exception is if you have a heated windscreen as I believe they block the signals? Dont think the tom tom has an external anntena socket.

Jasper - 30/11/10 at 12:42 PM

Check the reviews online as they are quite mixed. Some reckon it didn't improve the poor signal, though I'm sure it works for most. I find my iPhone Tomtom works fine without it, don't know why they would be different ....

wilkingj - 30/11/10 at 06:20 PM

I have a heated front screen (Ford Mundaneo)
I run 3 GPS's in the front screen (one in each top corner, and the tomtom bottom right), and the tomtom works fine. Just a little slow in locking up.
One of the others loses lock when in narrow streets with at least 3 floors of buildings either side.

For those that want to know why I run 3 GPS, its 1 x Tomtom, 1 X analogue Amateur Position Reporting System, and 1 x Digital APRS)
Yep.. maybe a bit on the geeky side
Not a major problem, but some screens have an open section so GPS's work better.

Hope this helps.

geoff shep - 1/12/10 at 03:52 PM

I still think TomTom is the best satnav standalone but don't have it on my iphone due cost. I have co-pilot on iphone which is considerably cheaper but I don't like it so much - maybe I'm less used to it. It works well without any in-car kit, ie good signal etc. So not sure why TomTom needs the kit for signal boosting so much.

Incidentally, there is a free turn-by-turn satnav app: NavFree

Not sure about it yet, it seems OK if you follow the route but is less good if you go off route - it took a long time telling me to turn round, until it realised going straight on was better.

goodguydrew - 2/12/10 at 10:29 AM

Thanks for the feed back.
I found i was past the junction before the iphone tomtom caught up.
I have bought a tomtom car kit for the iphone of ebay.
I looked at some reviews which seems to say the improvements are more noticable on the 3G and less so on the 3GS.
I'll let you know the results.