Board logo

OT - Whats your favourite locost food ?
mcerd1 - 15/2/11 at 09:50 PM

way off topic but...

I've just made my own stovies for the first time and they are brilliant
(thats potatos and onion slow cooked in the own juce for the non-scotts reading this)

and what with everything costing more these days whats your favourite locost food / meal ?

coozer - 15/2/11 at 09:52 PM

Bad Boy pot noddle...

Got a recipe for the stovies I can have a try at?

[Edited on 15/2/11 by coozer]

daviep - 15/2/11 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
way off topic but...

I've just made my own stovies for the first time and they are brilliant
(thats potatos and onion slow cooked in the own juce for the non-scotts reading this)

and what with everything costing more these days whats your favourite locost food / meal ?

That must be the "locost" version, the rest of us include beef or corned beef if you're really poor

Stovies or stew of any kind are my favourite foods.

omega0684 - 15/2/11 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Got a recipe for the stovies I can have a try at?

Stick potatos and onions in a pan! thats it!

JoelP - 15/2/11 at 10:04 PM

my lunch most days is unbuttered bread with cold tomato soup. People dont believe how nice it is, but i have some converts! Lunch for £1.50 cant be bad?! Or £2 if you splash out on milk to wash it down

tomgregory2000 - 15/2/11 at 10:07 PM

Beer and a burger

mcerd1 - 15/2/11 at 10:09 PM

Stovies
~1 onion (chopped)
~4 decent size tatties [aka: potatos] needs to be floury ones like maris piper
that should be about 2 peoples worth (its not critical though, just make what looks like enough)

peal the tatties and slice them thinly

get a big heavy pot with a close fitting lid
melt some fat / heat a bit of oil (what ever you like really)

fry the onion untill soft (but not brown)
turn the heat right down (about as low as any small ring can go)

and add the tatties with a bit of salt and peper
give it a stir and put the lid on
check it every now and then (20-30min should be enough) and stir it to stop it sticking (you really don't want them to stick at all)
but don't lift the lid to much - the steam from there own juce is all they've got to cook in!

should take anywhere from 1 to 2 hour depending on the amount of tattie
when they are done give them a bit of stir to break them up - should be a bit like a lumpy mashed tattie

best servied with something like sausages

and I know some people stir a bit of cooked / leftover meat through it at the end (like this pic I nicked of google) but thats the way my granny makes them

[Edited on 15/2/2011 by mcerd1]

skodaman - 15/2/11 at 10:24 PM

Baked beans with diced onions and a clove of garlic with half a bag of curry powder served with rice. Sometimes do chapatis with it as well. Cheap as chips but better for you. I make such a mess of the kitchen that the wife usually doesn't let me cook again for a while, which must be regarded as an added bonus.

SPYDER - 15/2/11 at 10:26 PM

Corned beef fritters

skydivepaul - 15/2/11 at 10:26 PM

beans on toast with tabasco sauce

or try this for a gourmet treat

mince beef and onion pie butty

dead easy -

get one mince beef and onion pie
get a buttered breadcake, barm cake, roll, stottie, teacake or whatever you call it

put pie in breadcake

voila, ultimate lunchtime enjoyment

nick205 - 15/2/11 at 10:26 PM

That's what I know as corned beef hash - lovely and a favourite student dish. SWMBO's not so keen so don't make it much these days.

Leek and potato soup is my current fave locost dish - with a good sized chunk of white bloomer loaf

owelly - 15/2/11 at 10:29 PM

Finger nails. Always available, nice and chewy and they taste different every time. I sometimes eat my own as well......

mcerd1 - 15/2/11 at 10:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
That's what I know as corned beef hash

I thought that was just mashed tattie with corned beef in it ?

its hard to explain, but stovies are nothing like mashed tattie (well not much like them anyway)
they cook slowly with the fried onion and little salt+peper - nothing else is added, not even water

MakeEverything - 15/2/11 at 10:41 PM

Fishfinger Sandwiches...... Both kinds....

b16mts - 15/2/11 at 10:43 PM

Sadly I'm on weightwatchers, but on the upside I'm on some proper tasty cheap food.

Swmbo does a superb curried parsnip soup!
Amazing chicken in cider n apple gravy,
And last night the tremendous chicken veg stew- 1 chicken breast to 4 good portions with spuds, parsnip, onion, carrot, swede, butternut squash and sweet potato, with dumplings! They stick some puff pastry on the next day and it's a stunning pie!

slingshot2000 - 15/2/11 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Fishfinger Sandwiches...... Both kinds....

Ok,
I know my kind; Captain BirdsEyes fish fingers (just cool enough not to melt the Lurpak completely), white bread and Lurpack, touch of salt and a dash of vinegar!

Now, what is this other kind ? Cannot wait to see your recomendation Make Everything, will deffo give it a go !

Regards
Jon

Edited to correct typo !

[Edited on 15/2/11 by slingshot2000]

dave - 15/2/11 at 11:05 PM

Mums homemade soup

[Edited on 15/2/11 by dave]

StevieB - 15/2/11 at 11:31 PM

Tomato soup with cheese sandwiches to dip in.

I also grew up on a dish that sounds similar to stovies, but it had a lot more veg and meat bits in it and is a meal in itself - penacklety (god knows how you spell it, but it was the very best meal my nan used to make for me when growing up)

Peteff - 15/2/11 at 11:38 PM

Corned beef hash is always good, where we're going we don't need recipes !

Go on then
Cube a tin of corned beef into 1/2" chunks and marinade in Worcester sauce, dice spuds and par boil for 6 minutes and drain, chop an onion and fry till clear, add potatoes and fry till browning then add corned beef and fry till it breaks up. Serve with fried egg on top and side serving of baked beans.

bigrich - 15/2/11 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skydivepaul

mince beef and onion pie butty

dead easy -

get one mince beef and onion pie
get a buttered breadcake, barm cake, roll, stottie, teacake or whatever you call it

put pie in breadcake

voila, ultimate lunchtime enjoyment

We used to call these a Heathen sandwich.

Try hot sausage rolls on a breadcake with brown sauce, mmm mmmm !!!

Mr Whippy - 15/2/11 at 11:53 PM

dumplings made from just flour and water

very dangerous, I could eat so many of those I'd die

they are sooooo yummy, oh no I have a craving!!!

mookaloid - 16/2/11 at 12:22 AM

Poached eggs on toast - simples

Macbeast - 16/2/11 at 12:32 AM

Thanks Mcrd1. We used to get stovies for school meals at my primary school near Dunbar. Maybe it's an East Lothian speciality ?

Will try your recipe anyway ( including meat )

T66 - 16/2/11 at 01:26 AM

Chicken Stew - with tarragon & smoked paprika.

skinned chicken thighs
2 onions
3 carrots
garlic bulb
2 peppers
tblspn tarragon
tblspn paprika
chicken stock cube/ 1 pint stock
tin tomatoes
salt and pepper

throw all in casserole for 90 minutes, give another 30 with the lid off to reduce the liquid.

James - 16/2/11 at 01:39 AM

Making your own pizzas is pretty cheap and can be healthy.

'Basics' pizza base is £1. (Maybe you could make/bake them yourself for cheaper? not sure on this but you certainly couldn't do it quicker!) and comes pre-covered with tomato sauce and cheese.

Cover with chopped onion, sweetcorn, pepper, mushrooms, etc. etc. If feeling flush you can crack an egg in the middle, chop olives and or grill and dice a sausage or 2.

Girlfriend is veggie and we're both into sports so try to eat healthily.

Tins of bought soup worry me as they have so much damn salt in them!

Cheers,
James

Ivan - 16/2/11 at 05:42 AM

Breakfast pizza?? - my own invention - not a pizza and not a pancake:-

Fry bacon bits until just crisp - leave in pan. Mix in bowl about 1 cup flower, half teaspoon baking powder, enough milk to make runny batter, a large egg and dried herbs to taste and pour over crispy bacon bits in pan - cover and cook gently until set, flip and brown top bit then serve with chutney. Should be about 1/2" thick to be good. You can add cheese, bully beef or anything else to the mixture.

mcerd1 - 16/2/11 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Thanks Mcrd1. We used to get stovies for school meals at my primary school near Dunbar. Maybe it's an East Lothian speciality ?

its just a scottish thing

which school was that ? (west barns?)
I don't remember ever getting them at my school

scootz - 16/2/11 at 08:33 AM

Stovies MUST have a bit of beef going through them!

IT'S THE LAW!

liam.mccaffrey - 16/2/11 at 08:59 AM

my fave is pasta and tomato soup, great on its own but you can add herbs, worcester sauce, garlic and onions too

[Edited on 16/2/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

mcerd1 - 16/2/11 at 09:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Stovies MUST have a bit of beef going through them!

IT'S THE LAW!

NO!
this is going to be like BEC vs CEC all over again isn't it

but they are good with served with beef sausages

PeterV - 16/2/11 at 09:18 AM

My own version of Locost Grits, that's a Supermarket 25p pasty eaten with oil, grease and fibreglass encrusted hands.

mmmm gritty.... mmmm Yummy.....

Never have found the meat filling in one of these "Essentials" / "Basics" / "Value" pasties, just a thin layer of baby food pasted to the bottom layer of crust

Macbeast - 16/2/11 at 09:48 AM

@ MCRD1 - East Barns primary, then Dunbar GS

mangogrooveworkshop - 16/2/11 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
my lunch most days is unbuttered bread with cold tomato soup. People dont believe how nice it is, but i have some converts! Lunch for £1.50 cant be bad?! Or £2 if you splash out on milk to wash it down

you for got the 2quid for the rennies at 3 oclock caused by the acidic actions of the tomatoes on your gullet

mistergrumpy - 16/2/11 at 02:45 PM

Super noodles with sweetcorn.
I used to love stovies when I was based in Lossiemouth in the RAF made by Magic Martin in the 617 Sqn feeder with loads of tomato sauce and yes they need a bit of meat running through them

quote:

dumplings made from just flour and water

That'll be glue then will it?

eddie99 - 16/2/11 at 02:59 PM

Cant beat baked beans on toast or as above... pasta with a tomato soup It what i live off

coozer - 17/2/11 at 10:34 AM

My granny used to make all sorts of stuff.. but one I remember was a clouty pudding.... it was like a massive dumpling full of steak and kidney wrapped up in a tea towel (a clout) and cooked in the pressure cooker.

Fantastic, I've had a go but cannot replicate it.

She did a mean apple pie as well, god rest her soul....

[Edited on 17/2/11 by coozer]

Ninehigh - 17/2/11 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daviep
the rest of us include beef or corned beef if you're really poor

Sliced corned beef is more expensive than proper snadwich beef these days!

Tin of beans, raid the fridge. Anything goes really, tomatoes, cheese, corned beef, sliced ham, herbs. Even done rice and eggs (pre-cooked)

ReMan - 17/2/11 at 09:05 PM

Cheese on toast my fave
With Tomato sauce or toasted with onion or with tabasco or brown sauce~
YUM