Board logo

32/36 manual choke conversions
po79 - 19/1/09 at 04:13 PM

Hi all,

I need to convert my Weber from auto choke to manual but the kits you can buy off the shelf seem very expensive these days!

I have heard it is easy to make a home made kit but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

Can anyone help and possibly post a photo or two to help me out, please.

Thanks

Po79

myeates - 19/1/09 at 04:47 PM

i did the same last year ended up buying a cheap £15 one from america but it lasted for about 2 months so then decided to part with my money and get the proper one from weber was around £50 only to find that it could of been made easily enough but works very well.

unfortunately different end of the country to the car this week so cant get decent pictures for you but here is one zoomed in a bit hope its some use.

regards

Mark

po79 - 19/1/09 at 05:13 PM

Thanks Mark,

The image is a bit blured but not to badly.

There doesn't seem to be a lot to them so I'll prob just put the weekend to one side and have ago at making something up.

Thanks again for the picture.

If anyone else has any advise that would aslo be appreciated.

Po79.

jacko - 19/1/09 at 06:49 PM

On some carbs when you remove the auto choke there is a hole that needs blocking of to stop it sucking air in
I had to do this on a v6 essex engine

Jacko

rusty nuts - 19/1/09 at 06:49 PM

Might be worth asking your local motor factors if they have any old stock they may be pleased to get rid of ?

myeates - 19/1/09 at 06:55 PM

there was a little hole that needed blocking on mine was just a o ring with the plate tightened against it.

if you need and more pictures i can take some more and send them to you next week end just let me know they wouldnt be that difficult to make one can even give you some measurments to start with next week if you want

regards

Mark

bigpig - 19/1/09 at 08:37 PM

What engine are you looking at it for? I'm going to be putting a set of bike carbs on my Pinto so I'll have a webber with manual choke & filter (IGS or something, from memory) assuming the bike carbs go on alright.

po79 - 19/1/09 at 09:18 PM

Hi Bigpig,

Its on my 2.0Ltr Pinto.

I've got bike carbs to go on it at a later date, just waiting for the 3 phase electric to be wired in so I can TIG up the manifold for them.

Po79.

po79 - 21/1/09 at 05:40 PM

Hi guys,
I spent yesturday making up my manual choke conversion and it hasn't made any difference.

When I started it from cold (freezing) this morning it wouldn't run with the choke on or in any position.

With the choke off it would run if I kept my foot lightly on the ecelerator or if I screwed the idle screw all the way in and ran better with the mixture screw turned out to make it run rich.

I've not had alot of experience with carbs before (as you may tell) and I'm stumped.

I'm thinking its not getting enough fuel.

Anyone got any ideas?

Po79.

P.S. Once the engine is up to running temp it runs perfect. Oh and it has a K&N air filter.

po79 - 22/1/09 at 09:21 AM

Anybody got any suggestions???

Po79.