Board logo

crossflow running problems
myeates - 26/1/09 at 09:32 AM

Hi just taken my car out to get suspension set up and after 5 miles of running perfectly it began running very roughly and when i lift of throttle in neutral the engine stops, after this i just restart give it a few revs and its ok again.

anyone any ideas to why this is happening, its a 1.3 crossflow running with weber 32/36 and distributor (till i megasquirt it).
this is the second time this has happening both days have been fairly cold and damp days.

look forward to your help

thanks

Mark

Mr Whippy - 26/1/09 at 09:36 AM

Feel the carb where the throttle valve is when the engines running, chances are it will be freezing cold and your problem is carb icing. You'll need to supply it some preheated air from around the headers in this weather. Extremely common problem with after market air filters and carbed cars, bikes and even light planes can suffer from this. Apparently Silkolene PRO FST works well -

linky to that

linky to some info

[Edited on 26/1/09 by Mr Whippy]

myeates - 26/1/09 at 09:44 AM

carb icing, why didnt i think of that i will have a feel when i pick it up sounds like the answer

thanks Mr Whippy.

i work with aircraft so why didnt i think of the obvious

britishtrident - 26/1/09 at 12:16 PM

Idle jet is blocked --

David Jenkins - 26/1/09 at 12:50 PM

The other thing to consider is tracking in the distributor cap when it's damp - check that the cap is really clean, and free from cracks and tracking marks.

I had a similar setup to yours, but with a 1600 xflow. Although the filter was outside the bonnet, the carb body was shielded from the airflow and kept warm by engine heat - I never suffered from icing, but very cold and damp sounds like a recipe for ice in the venturi.

myeates - 26/1/09 at 05:06 PM

drive back home was all ok and the air had warmed up a bit by then so im thinking it is deffinately carb ice, the distributor cap looks like new inside

thanks guys will try to sort before i next go out in the cold

thanks very much all