Board logo

Pinto Cooling
Daddylonglegs - 12/3/11 at 10:12 PM

Right, after much searching and now ending up well confused I've decided to take the plunge and ask.....

I've got a 2L Pinto with standard carb/manifold (32/36 I believe, or similar), a heater, header tank, and a radiator with top hose, bottom hose and a small-bore (around 6-8mm) at the top, opposite end to the top hose. I am fitting a heater, and there is a 16mm fitting on the manifold.

My assumption is as follows:

Bottom hose to 38mm on water pump
Top hose to thermostat outlet
16mm on pump to heater
Other side of heater to manifold

My questions are:

where do I need to 'T' to fit the expansion tank and where does the small-bore connection on the radiator go?

Any help is gratefully taken.

thanks

JB

daniel mason - 12/3/11 at 10:47 PM

not sure if your correct in your assumptions but many coolant systems vary! the top header tank hose probably goes to the small 6-8mm radiator outlet
bottom rad hose to the bottom/large outlet on thermo housing. ( or at least it is on my honda s2000 install)
bottom header tank hose T'd into bottom hose
large top rad hose to large top hose on upper water outlet cover

RichardK - 12/3/11 at 10:47 PM

No heater but this may help

Cheers

Rich

Daddylonglegs - 12/3/11 at 11:13 PM

OK, now I'm more distressed!

Rich, I notice in your picture that there is a second smaller hose from the thermo housing. I do not have one on my housing. Does that mean I have the wrong housing or just a different model to yours?

JB

woolly - 13/3/11 at 01:18 AM

his header tank goes to the heater return on the pump.

nice way round it in that install.

RichardK - 13/3/11 at 11:13 AM

If you aint got that take off it must just be a different type of ts housing, it was usually blocked off at the factory with a rubber cap and a jubilee clip around it, think it was there to help bleed the system if required hence why I plumbed it like I did to essentially make it self bleeding.

There loads more pictures in my gallery Linky this setup cooled really well.

Cheers

Rich

Daddylonglegs - 13/3/11 at 08:46 PM

Thanks for the picture Rich. I was thinking though, do I really need to change the housing? It came on the engine which was from a running 7. I thought that I could connect the top of the expansion bottle to the small connector on the top of the radiator. Only thing is though, where do I plumb in the heater? One hose will go to the manifold but can I connect the other via a 'T' to the TS housing/expansion bottle hose?

Thoughts people?

JB

RichardK - 13/3/11 at 09:33 PM

Hi JB, had a quick search and this thread maybe help, Linky

Cheers

Rich

Daddylonglegs - 13/3/11 at 09:45 PM

Thanks Rich