Board logo

PINTO TIMING
kehale - 5/8/11 at 06:01 PM

HI,CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP,I HAVE JUST PURCHASED F27 WITH 2LTR PINTO AND TWIN 40 DELLORTO DHLA TYPE F CARBS.VACUM DISCONNECTED.WHAT DEGRES REQD FOR TIMING AT 1000 RPM ,THANKS

flak monkey - 5/8/11 at 06:19 PM

What cam?

8deg for a standard cam. 12 for fast road, 10 for mild.

segan2b - 5/8/11 at 06:35 PM

I prefer to time it 'all in' rather than at idle.
Get someone to raise the engine speed until the timing is fully advanced and time it to 36 degrees with the vac disconnected.
Take it for a test drive, if it pinks then back off a little.

Peteff - 5/8/11 at 07:29 PM

12° for unleaded fuel, that's what I had to run mine anyway. It does seem to vary from one engine to another and they all seem to have a sweet spot which you might have to experiment to find.

BaileyPerformance - 5/8/11 at 10:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segan2b
I prefer to time it 'all in' rather than at idle.
Get someone to raise the engine speed until the timing is fully advanced and time it to 36 degrees with the vac disconnected.
Take it for a test drive, if it pinks then back off a little.

segan is spot on, the TOTAL timing is most important, static/idle timing is not so important, pinto's like 36deg at 4000RPM+ (all timing in at this RPM)

If the engine has a long duration cam then the dizzy should be re-curved (Aldon automotive can do this) to give a high static (20deg) and a total timing of 36deg at 4000RPM. This will make a cammed up engine idle better and be much more responsive. As a long duration cam makes very little vacuum so the vac on the dizzy is useless and should be removed and the backplate fixed to prevent timing fluctuations.