Board logo

weber spacer query
Dickyboy - 23/9/13 at 10:06 AM

I am sure this has been asked, but I can't find it.
How important is the thick "phenolic" spacer between carb and manifold, what are the pitfalls of leaving it out?

Macbeast - 23/9/13 at 12:47 PM

It's probably to isolate the carb from the engine heat. Without it the fuel in the carb may boil / evaporate

skibikejohn - 23/9/13 at 01:41 PM

The spacer is to limit the carburetor vibrating with the engine. The carb should be able to move slightly, relative to the engine / manifold. I would recommend installing the spacer as it made a difference on my car.

scimjim - 23/9/13 at 03:00 PM

Not sure how it limits vibration

It's to prevent fuel vaporisation in the carb through heat transfer. It's also probably part of the inlet tract length design?

MikeRJ - 23/9/13 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by skibikejohn
The spacer is to limit the carburetor vibrating with the engine. The carb should be able to move slightly, relative to the engine / manifold. I would recommend installing the spacer as it made a difference on my car.

You are thinking of Misab plates, or similar systems with large O-rings. I suspect the OP is talking about a solid phenolic spacer which is used for heat isolation and I also suspect he may be talking about a downdraught carb as I've never seen phenolic spacers used with DCOEs.

Not Anumber - 30/9/13 at 06:02 PM

clearence would certainly be better without the spacer under the downdraught carb. Not sure what it's there for, always assumed it was to limit heat transfer so never tried removing it.

Dingz - 30/9/13 at 06:35 PM

Ran mine without one for years without apparent problems, to increase bonnet clearance.

dave r - 30/9/13 at 08:24 PM

i ran mine, without problems also.... rekon i have one though if you think you need one ?

(assuming its a 32/36 or dgas ?)

[Edited on 30/9/13 by dave r]