Board logo

PCV 1600 xflow
Monty2556 - 16/4/15 at 07:34 PM

Following advice on this forum I installed a catch tank on my 1600 xflow. Disconnected the pipe to the inlet manifold and blocked it off. Routed the crankcase breather to one of the catch tank unions and the other catch tank union vents to atmosphere. Do I still need a PCV?

rusty nuts - 16/4/15 at 08:26 PM

I used a breather take off from Burtons which replace the breather filter on the side of the block and connects directly to the catch tank with no PCV in the system . If your using a standard manifold just block the breather connection.

johnemms - 17/4/15 at 08:56 AM

You use a nice new PCV valve & oil separator tank if you are running a standard single carb & manifold setup.

If you are using a twin 40 type manifold..
Remove the insides of the PCV as it is no longer required & use it as a connector to the oil separator.
Route its pipe into your rocker cover - all the blown oil and vapour will go back into the top of the head not into a catch can.
You now need to take a separate pipe from the rocker cover to a catch can for the vapour & fumes.

(If you only take a pipe from the crank to a catch can it will fill up very quickly)

Hope this helps.. :p

rusty nuts - 17/4/15 at 06:26 PM

I haven't had to empty my catch tank in nearly 6 years , I doubt it even has 1/4pint in it in that time. If you are using an electric fuel pump fit a deflector type blanking plate

steve m - 17/4/15 at 07:33 PM

My crossflows run a pipe from the crank case to the rocker cover, and a seperate pipe from rocker to catch tank

Seems to of worked fine so far

steve

Monty2556 - 17/4/15 at 08:05 PM

Thanks for all your advice thus far.