Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A How-To Guide... (For Everything!?!) People's opinions please!
deezee

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Couldn't you just add a FAQ section in the forum, and have organised posts for each item. With sub forums for sections (including a submissions section). This way you keep the security of the forum we already have.

I have to be honest, guides with photographs would be helpful and while a wiki would allow you to link everything, it would require a lot more setting up.

iank

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jabbahutt
fantastic idea, it would be really helpful. forgive my ignorance but what is a wiki?

Simply put a wiki is a website that anyone can add pages to, or edit existing pages.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Stuart_B

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
that is a great idea, i knew i asked a lot of question whilst building one, and the search button did not help at start, but after a while i started knowing what word to search.lol

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

hughpinder

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, but a lot of work! Please include a section on rubber/poly bushes...

Regards
Hugh

cd.thomson

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
It's already been attempted (the wiki) and failed as only I and a small number of other people contributed anything.

It was here http://www.carbuilders.info/ but was vandalised a lot by spammers.
Now seems to have died a death

I dont know tons about coding, but doesnt the error message look like someone is trying/tried a buffer overrun exploit to execute some nasty code?

Craig

iank

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:
It's already been attempted (the wiki) and failed as only I and a small number of other people contributed anything.

I dont know tons about coding, but doesnt the error message look like someone is trying/tried a buffer overrun exploit to execute some nasty code?

No idea, I'm running linux, so I doubt I'm affected by such nonsense. I'll add a warning on the original post.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

scudderfish

posted on 15/5/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:

No idea, I'm running linux, so I doubt I'm affected by such nonsense. I'll add a warning on the original post.

The error message is the server crapping out, it isn't an attack on your browser.
Wikis need a critical mass of people writing for them, and need to be popularised. If we're going to do one, it either needs to be hosted here or prominently linked. If it hosted here, it could be connected to the user db so that users registered here would be able to edit it and it would maintain a link between the posts and the edits.
It is possible, I used to maintain the forum software for SELOC which was hosted on the same server as LCB until volumes got too high. It uses the same forum software and it now also hosts a wiki (http://wiki.seloc.org/a/SELOC_TechWiki) although that was done after I had left. I can find out how exactly it was done.

Fozzie

posted on 15/5/09 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I talked with 'da Boss-man' aka ChrisW in the wee hours of this morning, and as I thought, the news is good......

His first reaction was that it would be good as a Wiki as well as in the up and coming new site (please don't shout at me......I know he is in the process of a major project in his working life, and it IS being worked on as and when he gets a few precious moments)......

Normal 'stickies' I can do...but as this is going to be a major project, and maybe warrant its own section,it was only fair to run this past 'da boss'.......

So the official news is.....the 'Project' is on.... ....

Fozzie (Admin)

Steve.. you have a u2u....

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

bassett

posted on 15/5/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a great idea! im sure a good one for many people to contribute on is mods to fit an engine and get it running be it bec or cec. I now know how to fit an R1 02-03 but when your starting out wiring, dry/baffled sumps, breathing and other mods are daunting tasks.
Cheers
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Confused but excited.

posted on 15/5/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant idea. Certainly gets my vote.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

fesycresy

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Steve, make sure there are no mistakes in the original when you copy and paste

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

eccsmk

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
the only trouble with this is i wouldnt have a reason to ask stupid questions

all joking aside its a brilliant idea and im sure some of us who have been on here and already built cars will still need the information and advice to make life that little bit easier!!

also a HUGE thank you to steve for the advice/help over the last few days
i do greatly appreciate it

Ninehigh

posted on 16/5/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Oh just one request, if you're doing a troubleshooting section could you put up the silly things (that we really should already know about) at the top of that page? Would save a lot of time checking this and that and replacing bits only to find I had no petrol in or something...

mr henderson

posted on 16/5/09 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I think this could be really groovy. I'm thinkng that certain things that come up time and again, such as how to fit a zetec, would be particularly welcome, especially if well detailed, including pictures and part numbers. I should imagine that it would also attract more people to the forum.

I'll have to see if I can think of anything I could write, I've got a coule of ideas I'm working on

John

Ninehigh

posted on 16/5/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Tell you what it would make a good few addendums for the book, priced at a quid or two each advertised in the back

"Build your own sports car on a budget, with a BMW engine edition"

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.