Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody in 3D yet?
nitram38

posted on 29/12/10 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Guys, my plasma went pop recently and I bought a samsung led 40" 3d TV with 4 pairs of specs and blu-ray player.
TV has internet etc and is about 25mm thick and uses next to nothing in electricity.
When you consider my plasma cost £1500 7 years ago, paying £1400 for my set up (got a £150 cashback) its really no big deal.
The films are mostly what I watch in 3d and they are pretty amazing.
Worth every penny.

Simon

posted on 29/12/10 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs

Simon,

Sky3D is included with the HD pack (for now) but there's not a lot on there...and I've noticed a significant number of PayPerView events.

I'm another not forking out for a telly...

S

Yeah, but the HD package is another £10.25 a month and I'm deffo not convinced about hd

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 30/12/10 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with you Simon, up to a point, but what I have noticed is that my new HD Plasma TV makes my Sky SD transmissions look sh1t! It's like the TV points out the flaws in SD. If only Sky did upscaling to 1080p like my DVD player but then of course you would be less likely to pay for Sky HD...

Sky are offering free HD for 6 months which effectively makes it £5 per month extra for HD. I went with this deal but will not renew in 12 months time if HD still costs £10 extra per month.

RazMan

posted on 30/12/10 at 12:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Yeah, but the HD package is another £10.25 a month and I'm deffo not convinced about hd

+1 to that - even my 50" Plasma shows very little difference and only the sound is noticeably better.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 30/12/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've just paid over a grand for a 47 inch LED LG TV and didn't even consider 3D. For the odd film that I want to see in 3D I'm happy to go to the IMAX..

As for HD, if you can't see the difference then there is something wrong with your set up or eyes, as it should be very noticeable.

And there is a decent alternative to Sky HD and it's free: FreeSat HD, you get both BBC HD channels and ITV HD as well.

And others have said a better sound system is a must before thinking about 3D TV.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Ninehigh

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
I haven't got 3D TV and am not planning to any time soon, but all this talk of "goggles" and "glasses" makes me think they don't take into account the large number of people who already wear glasses - what are they (we) supposed to do?

The ones I've seen are more of the "Safety glasses" size and would go over your normal specs. Although just wait a few more years till some bright spark at Specsavers thinks of making a lens that works with the tellys (I thought of it first!)

Yeah it's gonna be a while before it's value for money for us, considering the TV was about £300, and Virgin's £20-30 a month?

RazMan

posted on 31/12/10 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Although just wait a few more years till some bright spark at Specsavers thinks of making a lens that works with the tellys (I thought of it first!)

"This time next year Rodders ......."

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 31/12/10 at 03:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Although just wait a few more years till some bright spark at Specsavers thinks of making a lens that works with the tellys (I thought of it first!)

"This time next year Rodders ......."

There have been a fair few items or ideas I've seen advertised and cursed myself for being broke as I'd thought of it a few months-years previously. I'm just waiting to find antibacterial mobile phone wipes as well as the above.

rustyk

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Hi Guys

I've never been into big tellys, always had my money on projectors. I just prefer movies on a 150"+ screen that disappears into thin air when switched of to having a massive flatscreen tv!

Anyway, the time has come to replace the projector I bought earlier on in the year. Been looking around and settled on an optoma (my brand of choice) HD600x 3D jobbie. Then I noticed they are brining out a 3D box to make it compatable with SKY 3D, bluray 3D and XBOX/PS3 games that are 3D.

So for the 3D box, projector and a couple of pairs of goggles I am £700 lighter! Hopefully the sale of my current projector will help towards the cost a bit!!

Does anybody else use 3D yet and what movies am I looking at getting to show it off (already have black ops and GT5 which are 3D).

Thanks

Shaun

I'm heavily into 3d myself...

I have a viewsonic 3d projector and an Nvidia 3d vision kit, plus sky 3d.

Nearly all PC games work really well in 3d and I would never go back to be honest.

I watch sky 3d through a hdmi capture card via the PC, and like all new (or in this case reborn) technologies there are compromises but playing games and watching films in 3d on a big screen is a real experience :-)

Russ.

rustyk

posted on 1/1/11 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, and apart from the games, the lack of 3d content is a frustrating barrier to adoption of this stuff.

All the big manufacturers are selling top of the range tv's then restricting the small number of available 3d blurays to manufacturer specific deals.

Best advice I can give, is get sky 3d or, if going down the pc/nvidia 3d vision route, do some research on newsgroups and half-sbs files....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.