Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 130.9 !!!!!!!!!!
Danozeman

posted on 20/3/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
It wont end in fuel taxes. Its all paying for the extra people we have let into our country, a war thats not ours to fight and all the money they send to other countries to help them out. Which you can garantee they wont do the same for us when something happens here.

Last time there was fuel blockades etc it was mainly truckers who did it. The majority of them have fuel cards now which you get a lower fuel price with so costs them less so they dont car as much.

My tin top now costs me 89 quid to fill the tank.

Would you believe i have to do a fuel comsumption test on a vehicle at work tomorrow because the blokes complaining it doesnt go as far on a tenner worth of diesel as it used to!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

zilspeed

posted on 20/3/11 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
There are two things which I do to help.

1)Drive less.
2)Use different fuel

My local supplier is now up to 99p a litre for biodiesel.
I don't grudge him it.

Car share.
I currently car share with one person going to work.
At the start of april, another member is joining our local scheme.
It will mean I have to do the 40 mile round trip to work 1 week in 3.
I cover the costs for my week, they cover the costs for their weeks.

Take these 2 measures together.
If I do a week at pump prices based on pump prices it costs me £31.
So, if I do the 4 ish weeks of a month it costs me £120.

Now, with my two saving measures.

A week on biodiesel costs £22.47.
I drive 1 week in 3, so the 4 weekly period costs me £29.88
We'll call that £30,

If you're still with me.
I've saved £90 a month by choosing to take two measures.
Different fuel.
Different driving pattern.

Those two things I did there were my choice.
None of the two of them are hard work and because everyone benefits, the other two guys want to be part of the scheme too.
None of the other two actually live any closer to me than 3 miles away, but it's worth the little effort for all of us one week in 3 to pick some guys up to be a passenger FREE OF CHARGE for the other two.

bj928

posted on 20/3/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
hopefully i'll be back in America within 3 weeks, just worked out its 55p a litre over there in North Dakota where i'm based, and the US government takes taxes from that, so just shows how low we could have it and still give the govenment money, if they kick some of the illigal imigrantes out and stopped giving them houses, cars, food, clothes, and money, stopped wandering into countries with millitry force, and looked after their own people, we might not need to pay so much tax, but i can't complain, i don't pay income tax as i am in a loop hole, also don't smoke, and don't drink, so its only fair i pay some tax, so fuel is how i pay it, still to expensive though.
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/3/11 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
sensible move^

We have to sort ourselves out and start cutting the coat accordingly. It won't be easy, and I suspect there will be a load more suggestions about money being squandered overseas and on immigrants. Sadly not enough posts about how lazy a vast number of the Uk population is, expecting everything to be done for them.
Pensions will be another biggie soon. People just don't get it. If you work for 40 years, and then expect to retire and live off a pension for the next 25 years, then assuming you want/ need half your working income as a pension (many expect more) then you need to be putting nearly a third of you income into pension provision. (figures all at todays rates, so the assumption is made that future growth of saved money is equal to increases in living costs, about right in general unless you are lucky)

Scary!

Now, I need to dig out that LPG conversion from the shed and see how well it will fit my car

zilspeed

posted on 20/3/11 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Now, I need to dig out that LPG conversion from the shed and see how well it will fit my car

At 76p a litre ?

It's borderline worth it.
Fair enough if you have a huge tank.
Otherwise, you'll get bored of filling up every 3 days.

My old bus goes the thick end of a fortnight between fills these days.

daviep

posted on 20/3/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bj928
hopefully i'll be back in America within 3 weeks, just worked out its 55p a litre over there in North Dakota where i'm based, and the US government takes taxes from that, so just shows how low we could have it and still give the govenment money, if they kick some of the illigal imigrantes out and stopped giving them houses, cars, food, clothes, and money, stopped wandering into countries with millitry force, and looked after their own people, we might not need to pay so much tax, but i can't complain, i don't pay income tax as i am in a loop hole, also don't smoke, and don't drink, so its only fair i pay some tax, so fuel is how i pay it, still to expensive though.

The US isn't exactly renowned for the robustness of it's health care system though is it? You just can't have it all ways and like Britain times are going to get very hard in the US in the coming years.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

nitram38

posted on 20/3/11 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a smart car. 60 ish to the gallon, halfed my petrol bill. Still have my family tintop

cliftyhanger

posted on 20/3/11 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

At 76p a litre ?

It's borderline worth it.
Fair enough if you have a huge tank.
Otherwise, you'll get bored of filling up every 3 days.

My old bus goes the thick end of a fortnight between fills these days.

The family bus is LPG, fill once a week.
My everyday is a Triumph Toledo (doubles as the road rally car too )
Car averages 30mpg on petrol reckon that'll drop to 24 on gas.
76p against 131p?

adds up to £300+ a year. And the way it is going the savings may well get bigger. Plus there is an LPG station with 2 miles of my house, so that makes it bearable, otherwise you are correct, LPG can be a pain.

Jon Ison

posted on 20/3/11 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just filled van, 65p, that's lpg for you.
norfolkluego

posted on 20/3/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Again it all comes down to the choice which we make on how we choose to live our lives, if you desperately want to use public transport move to a town which has adequate links to where you want to go. By choosing to live in a rural area you must accept that some of the convieniences of city life will have to be sacrificed.

Again I ask the question how should the government make up the shortfall if fuel duty was reduced? I'm sure I don't want it on income tax!

I also live rural.

'if you desperately want to use public transport move to a town which has adequate links '

I'm sorry but as over simplification goes that's a whopper.

Many of the people who live around here are retired, usually from agriculture or something similar, they don't have massive pensions like those poor downtrodden bankers, most of them couldn't afford to move to Norwich let alone any other city, besides why should they be driven from their homes to pay for the mistakes of others. Most local shops have gone the way of local Post Offices, the ones that are left are stupidly expensive, for most of these people driving is not a luxury it's the only way to get about, there are no other options. The Westminster mob who've barely had a proper job between them (all parties that is) don't understand ( or maybe don't care) the effect their policies have on 'ordinary' people.

daviep

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norfolkluego
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
Again it all comes down to the choice which we make on how we choose to live our lives, if you desperately want to use public transport move to a town which has adequate links to where you want to go. By choosing to live in a rural area you must accept that some of the convieniences of city life will have to be sacrificed.

Again I ask the question how should the government make up the shortfall if fuel duty was reduced? I'm sure I don't want it on income tax!

I also live rural.

'if you desperately want to use public transport move to a town which has adequate links '

I'm sorry but as over simplification goes that's a whopper.

Many of the people who live around here are retired, usually from agriculture or something similar, they don't have massive pensions like those poor downtrodden bankers, most of them couldn't afford to move to Norwich let alone any other city, besides why should they be driven from their homes to pay for the mistakes of others. Most local shops have gone the way of local Post Offices, the ones that are left are stupidly expensive, for most of these people driving is not a luxury it's the only way to get about, there are no other options. The Westminster mob who've barely had a proper job between them (all parties that is) don't understand ( or maybe don't care) the effect their policies have on 'ordinary' people.

I'm big into simplification, anything financial is very simple, can I afford it? yes or no. If I can't afford it but I genuinely need it then I need to sacrifice a luxury to free up some money. If this is impossible then I'm living outside my means and need to evaluate my lifestyle.

For refrence I regard: holidays, broadband , mobile phones, ipod/ipads, computers, televisions, sky TV, cars, magazines, telephone, designer clothes, fast food as luxury items that are not essential.

With regard to the lack of local shops this is the case country wide because we as a nation voted with our feet and choose supermarkets instead of our local shop, again we chose this path we were not forced down it.

I'm sorry if things are tough for some people at the moment but it is pointless compalining about it, best bet is to look after ourselves and make responsible choices in life.

Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/3/11 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
I took a job that is 37 miles away after I got made redundant.

I cant afford to buy a new fuel efficient car.

Mine does 35mpg if I drive it careful, and its only a old T reg brava, nothing flash or fast.

if the fuel prices end up the way the papers are talking about at £2 per litre, then I will have to spend A QUARTER of my wage, just to get to work.

Now however simple your view on life is, financial or otherwise - that is a pretty painful thing to absorb.

Yes it is doable - but I'm already pretty tight. No holiday for 5 years, rarely eat out/drink - my only luxery is the kit and that is getting sold soon, and was funded when I had a company car, higher wage yadda yadda.

The tax is based on %, the governement couldn't have factored in the middle east difficulties/japan into their tax sums - so your arguement is rubbish. The governement is making more than it thought it would. Period.

It could cut some slack - the 1p fuel rise for example - and it could do more, by stablising the price through a more sophisicated calculation than a % increase as the taxation. When fuel prices are high, take less % but the same overall cash value, and when prices are low, bump up the % so the income stays flat.

Simples.

A1

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
i dont grudge the fuel companies taking my money, but its the fact the government are raping us...
we could cut the dole money we give out by a huge amount, and that would take into account a huge cut in fuel duty...

Bare

posted on 21/3/11 at 03:04 AM Reply With Quote
A couple of Observations:
The vaunted British "educational system" is becoming a widespread Joke, at least outside of the UK.
It's been reduced to a degree mill for third world 'foreign' students who pay large.
The medical system is in poor condition, far worse than acknowledged and British dental remains as the laughing stock of the western world.
There's No being too smug.. you are getting appallingly Poor return for your taxation.
Interestingly , recently read a report that suggested world oil prices are almost doubled over the actual delivered prices by 'Futures Speculation' A semi recent and clearly growing trend.
Somebody is making Good Coin:-) Unlikely it's going to reverse.. realistically it will double.. soon enough.

Best buy some Good shoes, move next door to your workplace and /or buy a decent bicycle.
As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, buying fuel will become a... far greater.... burden, like it or not.

tony-devon

posted on 21/3/11 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
round here its 132 and 142 petrol and diesel respectively

soon I wont be able to afford to travel to work, its getting that simple, cuts in wages, cuts in hours, rent gone up, all household bills gone up, food, car insurance, water gas etc etc etc etc

after paying everything, each week I currently have £4 left spare!

Im hoping my job goes down the pan to be honest, will be better off on benefits for a while, maybe do some free training courses or something? never claimed a penny in my life, but sick of working for nothing.

theres no work round this area, anything that you do find is only seasonal, council tax is high, water rates are one of the highest in the country, and as its a tourist area the local places are expensive, even if I could afford to go out.

just about every job is minimum wage, skilled jobs are even crap money, a mate of mine is coded welder, a place was advertising for skilled welders and sheet metal workers, wage according to experience etc etc, wage on offer was £7.01 per hour.

over the last 2 years I have applied for either extra jobs, part time, or full time replacement jobs, ideally ones with overtime opportunity etc, last count was 280 job apllications in 26 months, of them, I got 7 replies, during a chat at the 3 interviews I managed to get, I was told that basically I was either too qualified, or found that that wage wouldnt support my living, it would appear that theres some sort of pressure on companies to employ people that are unemployed?

recently a tesco store opened up, 400 jobs apparantly, well 250 went to staff from the other tesco stores, that left 150, and they were applied for by in excess of 3000 people!

on Friday another large company in the town went downhill, thats another 250 people unemployed, sadly most are of older years, worked in that factory for many years and dont know any other skills

too many people in this country are now just existing.

fuel prices arent the total problem, but for many people like me, they are just about the final nail in the coffin

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
I just use a motor bike, costs me £10 a week to go to work and if I used the 125 which really I could no problem it would be less than £8, to use the car it cost me £50! Also changes a 1 1/2 hour car journey to just 20 mins.

Cars are too big an inefficient. I’ve never seen so many bikes being used as last year and already there’s heap this year to as folk are just fed up with the traffic jams. Also you can get 8 motorbikes parked in the same space as one car!

[Edited on 21/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tony-devon

posted on 21/3/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Im the same, I ride a bike every day, snow delayed me, but didnt stop me LOL, couldnt afford a 125, so ended up with a 600 diversion, but they are pretty economical £10 does the weeks 135 mile commute

however we still need a car for my wife to take daughter to school and various activities, thats a turbo diesel and always returns in excess of 40mpg.

we got really lucky with the car, was dirt cheap, and hopefully will last longer than the 6-12 months that most of our cars last.

its that old catch 22 situation, never got enough money to buy a decent car, but end up scrapping the car and trying to find another cheapy every year thats got some MOT LOL

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/11 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
^ buy an old nissan, seriously they cost naff all and just keep going. I got 5 years use out a £250 one and it never failed an MOT but got bored with it as there was nothing to do with it but drive and clean it so scrapped it! then bought another one and it too never has any issues just mad

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

bi22le

posted on 8/1/16 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just stumbelled across this.

Enjoy it while it lasts peeps

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Andybarbet

posted on 8/1/16 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Crazy, that's when we mothballed our 2nd car (Seat Cordoba Coupe) & I ended up cycling my commute for 3 + years, last month I finally put it back on the road so I can commute in warmth this year.

We also ended up selling our beloved Saab 95 2.3 litre petrol as i was managing 25mpg which was crippling with the cost of unleaded, replaced it with a diesel Meriva, I still really missed the Saab but my Cordoba coupe puts a smile on my face each morning.

I bet the less than £1 per litre won't last though.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

sdh2903

posted on 8/1/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
The forecast is oil will dip another 20-30% yet. Doesn't necessarily equate to cheaper fuel tho.
Simon

posted on 8/1/16 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I think most oil producing countries have cottoned onto the fact that places like the US have shale oil and could do fracking along with the rest of the world, which only happens if crude price high enough. If they keep prices low, they'll keep on selling and make shale/fracking too expensive.

Just replaced my Grand Espace after 7 1/2 years (had two) with a 2004 Rover 75 2.5 V6 and I'm loving being back in a Rover

ATB

Simon

morcus

posted on 9/1/16 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone else think that cheaper fuel and car tax changing to be based on car value and not emissions mean the return of big engine cheap cars?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/1/16 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just grateful that petrol is cheap. If I buy another car (and I plan to soon) I will still be looking for something that gives me good mpg. I'll take any savings as a short-term bonus (as I'm sure it's going to be).

I'm sure that this low oil price is political - I'm fairly sure that the USA is trying to undercut Russia and the Middle East, trying to mess up their economies. But this is entirely my own opinion!

[Edited on 9/1/16 by David Jenkins]

coozer

posted on 10/1/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Just filled up with diesel for 99.7 at the Asdas... I do not expect it to last as I reckon the gov will whack fuel duty come march...

And I still wonder why the engine in my old (96) 106 gave me 85mpg yet new cars are know where near that..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.