Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 won`t start
scudderfish

posted on 14/4/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've got some photos here (https://picasaweb.google.com/dave.g.smith/BlownCoil#) which may help. It turned out I had a dodgy alternator that was cooking the amps so some of the commentary is misguided. There are also extra connections to my coil for the rev limiter I was running at the time.

snippy

posted on 16/4/11 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Still no Spark?

Thanks for the continued posts.
Have fitted the replacement electronic dizzy etc but I am still getting no spark. So I think the problem is wiring.
As far as I can see I have 2 wires coming from the coil lead which are white and black. On the Westy loom I have one green wire and one black/white wire. The green wire has 12 volts when ignition on and the white/black has 7 volts. Do I connect the green wire on the loom to the white wire from the coil? Can anyone confirm the connections for me or offer any suggestions why I am getting no spark?
Cheers all.

rusty nuts

posted on 16/4/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Buy yourself a multimeter and test the wiring , you will probably find one of the wires has battery voltage with the ignition switched on
wilkingj

posted on 17/4/11 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
You have put some fresh petrol in the tank?? ie its not been in there for 18 months or more? ie its stale petrol.
Had this a couple of times, and makes it a pig to start.

I usually squirt a bit of neat fresh petrol in the carb, but be carful and have an extinguishger handy incase it spits back and catches fire.
I tend to use a squirt of propane gas from the gas gun in these days... Works just as well.

Old Rover Dizzys can be a bit troublesome.
Hope all goes well and you get it to Stoneleigh.

Keep at it, you will get there in the end.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snippy

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there is plenty of fresh petrol in the tank! I had someone look over the car tonight and it looks like both coils are buggered, bad luck or what. So, shopping for a new shiny coil tomorrow and hope to fit it later in the week and finally get this beast into life!
paulf

posted on 19/4/11 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Check that it hasn't fried the coils due to a fault with the wiring or ignition amp, also note that some earlier engines used ballast resistor coils and later ones 12v coils so if your using a newer ignition module make sure the coil matches.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
Yes there is plenty of fresh petrol in the tank! I had someone look over the car tonight and it looks like both coils are buggered, bad luck or what. So, shopping for a new shiny coil tomorrow and hope to fit it later in the week and finally get this beast into life!

scudderfish

posted on 21/4/11 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just stumbled across this guide, it should help you out

http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8215

britishtrident

posted on 21/4/11 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
One other thing, if the coil gets hot, it's probably duff.

All coils get hot

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.