Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loadsa members, how many builders
Simon

posted on 12/9/02 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Alan B

Jus thought you'd be interested to know that a Meerkat features on the front of this months National Geographic.

ATB

Simon

mark_rayfield

posted on 12/9/02 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I feel kinda daft calling myself a builder at this stage, as I'm still turning my donor into a set of useful parts!

Nearly there tho - building should start in earnest soon, so expect a sudden tirade of 'can anyone help with.....' type posts.

Many thanks again to all who've helped me so far, and to all those whose fine creations have been an inspiration.

Simon

posted on 16/9/02 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis nearly done. See pics in archive.

Just had to modify part of rear end to allow coilovers to be fitted!!

Need to make top suspension brackets then rear end more or less done (aside of h/brake/plumbing/tank etc). Front needs top suspension bkts. Steering rack needs shortening further 2" then fitting. Car should then be on its wheels!!

Then I can take it home and (hopefully) start making some real progress (panels/wiring/plumbing etc etc etc)

Want it ready for spring '03. Would like to do Brighton Trials in it. Nice to think that my £1500 (ish) car (might) outperform some dodgy Italian "Supercars" (in the 1/4 mile sprint anyway).

ATB

Simon

Macca

posted on 14/10/02 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Things finally got moving now as I am the new owner of an unfinished MK (so I was told)project.Some people will say it's the easy way out as the hard work is done.I just think I was lucky to find it.On the road in the summer? Who knows.There is a very rough photo in the archive, would anybody know how I could check if it is an MK!
Cheers Col.

Liam

posted on 14/10/02 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Graduated from uni last summer and decided I was actually gonna do it. Having never done anything like this at all, I decided to make it stupidly difficult for myself and make a 4WD one with an engine and box that dont fit together and complicated suspension. Doh! Well I figured I will only do this once so I want it to be everything I wanted first time round.

Spent ages researching available 4WD gubbins, learning a bit about suspension, designing the chassis and solving many other design headaches. Everything's all planned in my head/autocad/on bits of paper, I've finally moved house and have enough space to work in, donor car bought and striped (butchered), various other parts sourced, bought enough tools, and I'm FINALLY GETTING ON WITH IT!!

Chassis is nearly completely tacked together, then I get to make some suspension.

Need to: Fix my lathe (new belt - but from where), make an adaptor plate for my engine/box , find someone who can weld ally to fettle my bellhousing slightly, have more money. Apart from that I'll be OK.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 14/10/02 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I am on the last 10% of the build (you know, the bit that takes 90% of your time...and money)
I am at the rolling chassis with engine installed stage, just the expensive bits to get!
I also flicked through 'The book' thought "ahhh I can do better" and went off on a tangent. Its now three inches shorter (shortarse), four inches wider (fatarse too) with a VX16v and Dedion. Hopefully spring 2003.....

Dont just build it.....make it!

David Jenkins

posted on 15/10/02 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Need to: Fix my lathe (new belt - but from where)

Liam,

Try here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

If they don't have it, it ain't available in the UK!

They sell off-the-shelf and made-to-order drive belts. Fairly cheap, too.
David

StuartA

posted on 15/10/02 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
Rolling chassis, engine in bits in the garage, trying to get hold of some engine mounts and keep looking at that 'cost so far' list... I guess I qualify as a builder?!
Mi167

posted on 16/10/02 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
YOu will find a few like me who have totally forgotton their user name and have had to re-register
Mi167

posted on 16/10/02 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
but i could be wrong
steve faunch

posted on 19/10/02 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
been on the road for 8 weeks and getting a real thrashing although weather may soon take over the novelty
DEAN C.

posted on 20/10/02 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ,my Toyota engined MK is about 80% finished and I'm hoping to get to a few sprints & hillclimbs in the springtime.
Made things twice as hard by shoving the engine and box as far back as possible for maximum handling.Ended up chopping the footwells,altering the engine bay diagonals,adding top rail and other stiffeners,and because I had no room to fit a clutch slave I had to adapt an internal slave from a Saab copying the Aussie lads.Oh yeah! had to add anextra joint into the steering shaft to get round the alternator.
Apart from that is was a doddle!
Just got to buy the clocks and fit the dash and wire everything including the ecu and fit the lights,and a few dozen other finshing jobs yet to be found.
Dean...

Spyderman

posted on 21/10/02 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Definately locost, but not sevenesque.

Like MrFluffy, I too am using a VW based kit and rebuilding a new chassis for mid engine.
Mine is a GP Spyder (Porsche RS60 replica).
Had enough of VW running gear. Wanted something more in keeping with style of car.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/terry.hill/

Terry

sting

posted on 22/10/02 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
finally up and running builder.
Floorpan on, but how my palms hurt(uhh err)
after using ordinary pop riveter,now swopping to one of those easy tong riveters so should be easier now

sting

Roeland Uitslager

posted on 4/11/02 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry guys, I've stopped dreaming and decided that becoming a motorbike driver is much more of an realistic option to me. In the Netherlands getting your kit on the road legally means a lot of paperwork and money.

So, it's goodbye Locost and hello Moto Guzzi. I will keep on reading and posting.

chrisg

posted on 4/11/02 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
That's a shame Roeland,

You can't fall off a Locost you know!

Maybe you'll do it one day.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.