Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donnington meet
Rob Lane

posted on 5/9/04 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the whole show a rip-off.

No real parts stands, plenty of manufacturers, yes.
Stafford or Newark were three times better.

£10 for driver and passenger and then shunted off to far end of grass car park.

No real display area that would attract anyone (not just Locost).

Organisers must have received a good offer from Caterham and Westfield to give them pride of place right outside hall!

What happened to original area ? It was given over to general parking, that's what!

It was a kit car show for Gods sake, why did they shunt everyone off away from hall area.

Martin at MK and others were saying it had gone over top on costs. Martin tried to talk to organisers but they had time for no-one.

Apparently ALL the cars for track failed the morning noise test, it was set so low.
Turns out there are two types of track day, quiet and noisy. Noisy costs more for organiser. Guess what the event organisers had paid for?

blueshift

posted on 5/9/04 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had a good time, got some sun, insulted some cars, drank some beers, bought some tools, met some people.
Ferg

posted on 5/9/04 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lane
Apparently ALL the cars for track failed the morning noise test, it was set so low.

Not quite. One manufacturers car passed the noise test...the TeamGTM 1.6 Libra, but the readings were being taken from the wrong place. Once corrected the V6 and most of the other cars passed.

theconrodkid

posted on 5/9/04 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
think the show was a bit naff this year,orginisation was non existant and i cot charged to take my car in,free last year.wasnt the only one either,someone was coming round canversing opinions and it seems lots wernt happy

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Deckman001

posted on 5/9/04 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I had an ok time, got lots of bits i needed, but the organisation left alot to be desired !! The club area outside was a complete mess, cos we all had to camp in the same area!! and as for only having one toilet block for the camping area, and even that ran out of power in the evening and filled up beyond use by morning!!!!! the only other place to 'go' was about half a mile away, past the entrance to the halls !!

Rant over

Jason

OX

posted on 5/9/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
well it was an ok day for me ,got the stuff i wanted and put a few names to faces ,bob,james ,shortie,ned and jon.i saw conrod but didnt get chance to say hello.
weather was nice and didnt spend much money woohoo

bob

posted on 5/9/04 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
nice to meet a shed load of people as usual,was good to catch up deanC saturday and the rest of lads that camped.
Big thanks to deckman for chaufering me there and back and company was good in the evening

bob

posted on 5/9/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Show

there were bits to be had,but its not a proper show.
Badly organised club areas,anyone would think westfield and cateram were the only 7's in existance.

And wheres the autojumble gone ?

we need a new show i think,or maybe a new organiser

James

posted on 5/9/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Enjoys boys !!!

Who does?

Anyway, cheers for the loan of the car Jasper- I knew you'd only forgotten to mention you wanted me to keep it ticking over for you.
Did you a favour too- discovered (having gone to all the effort of cutting out that pointless immobiliser wiring) that there was something wrong with the engine and it wouldn't start. So we ripped out that little Japanese starter motor you had in there and fitted a nice 1600 Pinto that I had kicking around- I hope you're greatful!

Had a great time with it- and I've returned it to yours 'substantially' intact. Was a pity about that slight 'event' with the tyre wall at the end of the main straight but I'm sure that corner of the chassis will pull out eventually.... and fortunately Lolocost do a lovely (and cheap!) nosecone you can replace yours with.
Oh, and I found your tyres were crap too- we only managed 15/20 minutes of donuts before they were gone completely! Good thing I was there to check them out for you!

--

Other than that I wasn't that impressed with the show. Best thing about it was meeting so many LB'ers:

Conrod, Bob, Ned, Matt, Mackie, Blueshift, Deckman, GasGasGas, SteveO, Shorty, Splitrivet, Dick Axtell, Viper, Marcus, Ox, DeanC, Jim Giblett, saw Bass around too. Saw Ash3's car but didn't see him!

Usual collection of manufacturers and sellers. Other than that nothing special.

I did like the engine's on Webcon's stand- some great throttle body stuff to copy for doing my own!

Bob,
How do you fancy organising a southern show? August is disctinctly short on show's. I reckon you could fit something in the middle of Stoke Park, Guildford a treat!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 5/9/04 by James]

James

posted on 5/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
As for the track day- I reckon those that didn't bother this year missed out:

Last year when I was down in the pits the whole thing was packed out with cars and drivers and there was a 10/20 car queue to get on for each session. This year I counted about 10 cars total on track plus the few manufacturer demonstators.

You'd have had an empty track this year!

James

bob

posted on 5/9/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Bob,
How do you fancy organising a southern show? August is disctinctly short on show's. I reckon you could fit something in the middle of Stoke Park, Guildford a treat!

Cheers,

James

Jimbo,when you have children and they are at school you will find that august is your busiest month,apart from that NO

Organising a show would be like the imposible,you cant please all.

theconrodkid

posted on 6/9/04 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
spoke to a lady from a club who was having a straw poll,she was thinking of doing a show run by the clubs not a money making company,santa pod was mentioned so watch this space

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ned

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
right, so who was it that took the pic of us enjoying our bbq and booze, and why hasn't it been posted up yet

Ned.

[Edited on 6/9/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
i got a couple ned but dunno how to post so ill mail them to ya

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ned

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
john,

i'm not picking up my locobuilder email at the mo, i'll u2u you another address..

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 6/9/04 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
James - glad you enjoyed the car - good to have a nice bit of British cast iron under the bonnet now -

I'm not suprise the organisation was rubbish again this year - it was terrible last year.

While organising a show with trade stands would be quite hard - and costly - it seems the things a lot of people want is a good place to meet up and camp overnight - along with a bit of track action. So why not organise a track day and use a local camp site overnight? Llandau (though it is in south Wales), is a good little track to hire, they willl organise all the necessaries like marshals and St. Johns, and has a basic camp site as well, all you need is about 30 odd cars and it will work out about £99 for the day.

bob

posted on 6/9/04 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
The debate on donington seems to be going on elsewhere,regarding prices and the dreadfull facilities or lack of for campers.

http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=4753

I think the robin hood lads n lass's have a good idea on this,maybe some constructive critisism could be typed off to sally mitchel the limelight exhibitions organiser.

They mention the Harrogate show improving,i attended the exeter show for the first time last year (also organised by the same people as Harogate)and found it to be the best one i'd visited in 2003.

I reckon its a people power thing and will only improve if a lot of people voice some constructive critisism to limelight,it can only help them in the future.

Jasper

posted on 6/9/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I sent off an email to Sally after last year - never got a response.
bob

posted on 6/9/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well maybe on mass something might happen this time,2 years ago i complained about the toilets and showers on site.

I sometimes think we are better off booking out a camp site for a night or two once a year,bar-b-q friday night and big night out saturday or whatever.

Nice to have stands but most things can be bought on the net/phone,i think its auto jumbles locosters need anyway.

James

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to say earlier:

Thanks to Jason and Paul for the discounted entry to the show on the Sunday! Didn't get to actually see you in there to say thanks.

Cheers,

James

ned

posted on 7/9/04 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
ditto james above. £10 for saturday entry, waited for the marshalls to go before moving hte car to the campsite, then blagged our way in using a borrowed ticket on sunday and didn't pay for the camping. who said it can't be done for £250?

Ned.

Dick Axtell

posted on 8/9/04 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Swedish Visitor

quote:
Originally posted by Micael
Well I'm of to the airport. See you guys at Lolocost at 11. (If i find my way there)/quote]
So where did you get to, Micael? We waited nearly an hour, but no sign.
Did you make it? Would be interested to hear your impressions of the show.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

bob

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes and the company,thanks very much for that

Micael

posted on 8/9/04 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Axtell
quote:
Originally posted by Micael
Well I'm of to the airport. See you guys at Lolocost at 11. (If i find my way there)/quote]
So where did you get to, Micael? We waited nearly an hour, but no sign.
Did you make it? Would be interested to hear your impressions of the show.

Yepp I did find my way there, had Sat/nav in the rental car

I've arrived about 2 pm on saturday and left about 4.30. I manage to forget the phone number to John. So I could't find you guys.

I hooverd around Jon Isons GT1 for a while in a desperate try to see if I could recognize any of you. But after a while people start to stare at me.

If anyone saw a fat guy in a green John Deere T-shirt it was me

However I think that the show was a bit small. But i have never seen som much sevens in one place.

I took some pictures which can be seen Here

Micael Moose Åman

Petrolhead and all around nice guy

"Don't leave the duck there. It's totally irresponsible. Put it on the swing, it'll have much more fun." //Sleep Talkin Man Dec 23 2009

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
well, you can't have missed us by much, you have a pic of the mk gtr with james sitting in it, conrod with his back to you and blueshift and matt claydon in the picture. Mackie and I can't have been two far away.. http://www.amanfamily.se/bilen/DSC00154.jpg

maybe next time you'll know what we look like and not miss us all when you're 2m away from us

Ned.

[Edited on 8/9/04 by ned]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.