Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Fail
johnwilders

posted on 24/7/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
sorry scrub my last spoutings You need smaller cylinders not lager ones and you have lager drums than me, if you have the larger cylinders fitting the smaller ones would be a simple cheap fix.
owelly

posted on 24/7/12 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
My Altas axle had discs on and to circumnavigate the rears locking-up before the fronts, I chopped half the friction material off the pads so the contact area was smaller. Can you munch some off the shoes or fit narrower ones?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
@neilp1 - The hose I used was from either CBS or Europa at Stoneleigh last year, I can't remember which. It is the canvas-type stuff with a wire-wound inner, no markings. I am waiting on a call from the tester to clarify whether he needs marked pipe and/or paperwork to state it is fit for fuel use.

The stick-on cable tie holders are a defo no-no I'm afraid. He said that they are liable to 'weather' and come off over time.

@owelly - I always thought that discs were much better than drums hence discs on the rear of mine would make the matter worse?

I see what you are saying about 'adjusting' the brake shoes on the rear, but am worried about reducing the performance too much so it fails the brake test on serevice brake efficiency at the rear?

I am also going to speak to the tester regarding using bias valves and the rulings as they interpret it on using disabled 'adjustable' types.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

johnwilders

posted on 25/7/12 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
If I remember my tech days correctly, “Friction is independent of surface aria ” The size of the brakes is more to do with wear & heat dissipation than efficiency , for less efficiency you need less pressure, either a regulator or smaller wheel cylinders.
renetom

posted on 25/7/12 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
filler hose

Hi
I have a piece exactely 6" long left over, its 51mm I/D 60mm O/D
Ultra flexible fuel filler hose with embedded spiral wire
Part no #FFF51 from car builders solutions. page 37 on their catalogue.
Your welcome to it FOC , UTU.
René.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 25/7/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi René,

Thanks for the offer, but I need 57mm ID and that looks like the stuff I already have so they would probably not be happy with it anyhow.

Cheers

JB

emwmarine

posted on 27/7/12 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

The stick-on cable tie holders are a defo no-no I'm afraid. He said that they are liable to 'weather' and come off over time.

JB

So when running the loom across grp, such as under the wheel arches to the rear lights, how do you attach the loom to the grp? Don't want to rivet through grp panels.

Building a Dax Rush.

johnwilders

posted on 27/7/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used PU all the way along
Daddylonglegs

posted on 28/7/12 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^^ +1

I used Tigerseal to stick the pads to the inside of the arch then tie-wraps to hold the loom. Works a treat, it ain't gonna move

(famous last words )

emwmarine

posted on 28/7/12 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnwilders
I used PU all the way along

PU?

Building a Dax Rush.

loggyboy

posted on 28/7/12 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Polyurethane

(ie sikaflex, tigerseal)

Mistral Motorsport

Bizarro

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

I am also going to speak to the tester regarding using bias valves and the rulings as they interpret it on using disabled 'adjustable' types.

JB

Hi

Did you get any feedback re bias valves and IVA?

My car is pre IVA and I have fitted an adjustable Willwood Proportioning Valve on the rear brake lines, after reading a few posts on here I was looking at removing it before the IVA, but obviously due to rear locking I would rather leave it if it is IVA compliant if locked!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.