Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bikers wearing very little in the hot weather!
NigeEss

posted on 22/7/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dualist
I thought I read years ago an artical in PB that at 60mph you can grind an inch of bone per second.
I always wince when I see an idiot just wearing a tee shirt and shorts on a bike

Heard that, also heard that at 30mph it;s like putting your hand flat on the tarmac, having a 14st chap
stand on your hand with both feet and then pulling your hand out.

I never ride without full gear but I will fill the tank up whilst sat on the bike.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Peteff

posted on 22/7/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Last year we went to fetch a SV650 in as the rider had come off it and he was still there with the bike. He said he was alright and had just ripped his jeans knee. He pulled the hole to one side and saw his kneecap showing through the skin and decided he needed hospital treatment.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Fred W B

posted on 23/7/13 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Do we make an exception in this case?

cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

iank

posted on 23/7/13 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
Do we make an exception in this case?

cheers

Fred W B

She looks a lot better with her skin still attached I'd imagine.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 23/7/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
No problem.. I suspect a lot of that will be dermal fillers and silicone...
russbost

posted on 23/7/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Does silicone help you slide down the tarmac more smoothly???

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
r1_pete

posted on 23/7/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Does silicone help you slide down the tarmac more smoothly???

Don't know about silicone, I invested in a Kangaroo hide suit, it slides about the same as Cow, but bounces much better.....

I'll get my coat....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 23/7/13 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by pewe

And whilst I'm at it - second to lack of kit what really makes my blood boil are the biking tw*ts who sit astride the bike whilst filling it up with petrol!!!

No problem at all, try dribbling petrol on a hot engine or exhaust and see what happens... it boils off before touching it and just turns to vapour. I reckon 95% of people sit on their bike when refuelling. I know I do

I had a gas leak on the chop shortly after filling it, peed a lot fuel all over the hot cylinder head and exhaust. No dramas.... Sparks set fuel off, not hot engines. And sparks are most likely when you get back on the bike to start it up after refuelling, maybe we should start them up while not sitting on them too

That said I've got a vmax now, so have to get off to refuel as the tank's under the seat!

Well actually chaps , Flak monkey and Mike RJ, your assertions that it needs sparks to ignite petrol is wrong.
The auto-ignition of petrol is 246–280 °C 475–536 °F and that's vapour as opposed to neat petrol.
So the evaporation of petrol is exactly what causes the auto-ignition - ask Joss Verstappen whose Benetton exploded in flames whist re-fuelling.
linky

Apart from which do you really want want to take the risk?
AFAIK male genitals aren't asbestos coated!
Darwin Awards await you.

Cheers, Pewe10

MikeRJ

posted on 24/7/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
That's reminded my why I don't ride bikes

That's reminded me why I wear proper boots when I'm on the bike.

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Well actually chaps , Flak monkey and Mike RJ, your assertions that it needs sparks to ignite petrol is wrong.

You might want to read back and amend that, I made no such assertion. The risk is so negligible that it's not worth considering IMO. If it was even as dangerous as using a cell phone, then the attendant wouldn't be allowed to even switch the pump on.

[Edited on 24/7/13 by MikeRJ]

pewe

posted on 25/7/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
MikeRJ granted you didn't say that so I'll redact the comment.

However you may be interested in reading this linky

Chaqun a son goo, Mike, but personally I'd rather not risk fried or petrol burnt nads.

Cheers, Pewe10

Ninehigh

posted on 26/7/13 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Using a cellphone while refueling is slightly more dangerous than using toothpaste to clean your teeth

02GF74

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Using a cellphone while refueling is slightly more dangerous than using toothpaste to clean your teeth

I've wondered about that but can't see it myself. It is like having to turn off mobile phones off on planes. If you assume that a tiny proportion of air passengers do not turn their phones off, that still leaves probably hundreds if not thousands of switched on phones simply due to the numbers, then why aren't planes not dropping out of the sky? If you were a terrorist and wanted to bring down a plane, pack a couple of mobile phones in a suitcase and leave them turned on - job done.

Ninehigh

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Mythbusters has tested them both actually. Yeah the cellphone does nothing. The main problem with it is in the states you can pump your gas without having hold of the pump so you can get back into the car, build up a static charge, get out and create a spark where all that fuel vapour is

iank

posted on 26/7/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Re: mobile phones. Phones do put out a fair bit of AM noise due to the packet slot structure. That's why you get the bee-chuck-chuck noise if you put your phone down next to a land-line.

They were originally banned on planes initially due to the extreme paranoia of that industry and is still in place as they want to sell you time on the satellite phones at £££ per minute, and a plane coming in to land will log on and off ground based stations rapidly causing problems for the phone companies near heathrow et.al. I doubt a switched on phone in a bag will get on to the plane simply as it would make a very convenient remote control detonator.

I suspect there probably was an accident many years ago at a fuel station which could have been a phone, but these days they probably just don't want people standing of the forecourt for 20mins with a queue building up behind them while they yack on to the boss.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

02GF74

posted on 26/7/13 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I doubt a switched on phone in a bag will get on to the plane simply as it would make a very convenient remote control detonator.

How can the airport security tell if a phone in a suitcase is switched on or not? If it were to be used as a remote denotator, then there would be give away wires on the x-ray scan.

iank

posted on 26/7/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by iank
I doubt a switched on phone in a bag will get on to the plane simply as it would make a very convenient remote control detonator.

How can the airport security tell if a phone in a suitcase is switched on or not? If it were to be used as a remote denotator, then there would be give away wires on the x-ray scan.

A switched on phone is chatting away with the network, fairly simple to detect the RF (same as putting it next to a speaker phone).
Indeed they would be able to detect wires etc, but there's always going to be the concern.

--
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.