Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bye Bye Mallory ?
CNHSS1

posted on 1/10/13 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Campaign for it to become a site of significant national interest or National Heritage site?

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

jeffw

posted on 1/10/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
The site is still owned by the same company it has been for 30 odd years. The company, Titan Properties, is owned by Chris Meek who is an ex-GT racer apparently.

There has been no suggestion, as far as I'm aware, of the sale of the site to a property developer.

quote:
I will leave this now to the pompous tub thumpers

So you wade into the discussion with the default line of NIMBYism without looking at any of the information available and you think I'm being pompous pointing out some of the information available which goes contrary to you world view.

[Edited on 1/10/13 by jeffw]

Irony

posted on 1/10/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I think that if you buy a house near a

1. Train line - You should expect trains
2. Airport - You should expect aeroplanes
3. School - You should expect children
4. Race Track - You should expect racing cars

Its easy. If they had built the track recently and people properties had devalued because of it I would agree with the local residents. If the noise had increased over the last year then I would also agree. I guess the Racetrack has been operating long before most local residents moved into the area.

I bet the local shops and garages aren't complaining. I bet the local residents who work at the circuit aren't complaining.

[Edited on 1/10/13 by Irony]

jeffw

posted on 1/10/13 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
The 'other side' from a resident of Mallory

Hi all I posted this in March this year to put the residents side forward - we have all taken a kicking from many of you out there so can you all please take the time to read and digest - it is NOT all as MPML like you all to believe. There were many many breaches of the notice last year and previous years, the fact is, that HBBC decided to take five as a sample that happened to be Saturday use. What has transpired since is that BARC/MPML were found guilty of these breaches and it is clear that BARC understood what the real version of the notice meant. They seem to emphasise that they have only 92 days per year of usage when in fact they have 5 days per week. The landlord it transpires charge them an extortionate amount of rent but this was also made clear when BARC signed the lease in 2005, BARC also paid £200,000 dividends to their shareholders last year..

As a log term resident of Kirkby Mallory I am fed up to the back teeth of all the incorrect remarks on various social networking sites most of which have been put there by probably the very ones that come to the track race the balls of their bikes and then go home to their nice quiet homes, and are not fully aware of the facts,only what is fed to them from one side of the story. I have been a suporter of Mallory Park for many years and have lived quite comfortably with it when the Overends ran it. I have listened to both sides and more recently been updated with the facts about the 85 notice and what it allows, I have read most of the derogatory and probably liable remarks on the facebook page brought to my attention by my grandson. Therefore the reason for posting this on Pistonheads is because you all seem to be more level headed than others. Because of these idiotic comments, my support for the track has diminished and quite frankly I now feel that they deserve everything they get, the management of the track have only themselves to blame for contnually breaking what is a legal notice which in its self a criminal offence. There are a few facts that I have found out that need to be voiced whether you like it or not , to give a balanced view on this whole mess.
• In 1985 a noise abatement notice was put on the track, this is because obviously there was a noise nuisance. This allows 2 noisy days a week and three quiet days, 5 working days, then it gives us residents two no use days –it has been like this for many years beofre BARC took over in 2005.
• They signed the lease for the track and if their lawyers had done the work properly they would know this was the case. If this was not viable for them they should not of taken the lease on. They may of had every intention of breaching the rules who knows, and it has now come back to bite them –again incompetence on the part of the management in by book.
• They HAVE blatantly breached this notice on countless occasions over the past couple of years - the awsome fest was the final straw for many residents it seems.
• If this was a pub, factory, or any other business continually breaking the law it would of been shut down regardless if it was making a profit or not.
• BARC it seems have two other circuits that run very effectively on less than the 85 noitce allows Mallory Park. The difference being they are not allowed as many track days there so they bring them all to Mallory Park – is it any wonder that residents get pissed off.
• Ironically with all the attantion lately and the full facts of the 85 notice revealed, the very operators that have set up / endorsed the mallory park supporters facebook page are the very ones that had a horrendous track day yesterday in the village on what is a No Use Saturday exept below 55db – so arogant are the management that they have alowed this to go on and stick two fingers up to the law and residents.
• It has been documented that John Ward states that the track days are money spinners, this might be true and maybe their downfall, it was said that we had 80+ track days last year. This seems to be easy money for them. Perhpas now they have to work and go and look for less noisy activity to contiue to stay vialble Croft, Thruxton and Goodwood seem to have it sorted, good business sence prevails obviously.
For this, my support over the last week or so is NO longer, it might even be that they want to close the track but are blaming the council and residents which will take the heat off them !! who knows with all the false information been fed out they are certainly not trustworthy business men – maybe a change in management would be the answer. You have to ask yourself whether all the derogatory remarks being put out on the internet by the staff of the track is proffessional, this does not bode well for BARC . To make derogatory and indeed mabe incrimidating remarks about certain residents is certainly NOT protraying a professional enterprise.
And, need we ask where is the general manager is in all this, sitting in his office making all the bullets for everyone to fire no doubt, If I remember correctly there was not even an appology after the awsome fest. Now they are acting like a spoilt child that has had his/her hands caught in the cookie jar. The meeting last Wednesday was cancelled because Mallory Park did not distribute their new proposals in time and also because of all the resentment whipped up by certain individuals on facebook with threats made to residents it was obviously sensible for all that it did not take place.
I’m sorry if this statement has offenden anyone but do your own research it is all on the internet for every one to read.
May common-sense prevail in all this and if more effort was put in to comming to an agreement than putting all this stupidity on the internet we might have an amicable solution

Some of the above comments might now be our of date but att this stage, MPML have gone into administration not BARC, Mallory Park no doubt will continue but under different management - so before further abuse towards residents shall we wait and see what happens in the next week or so - as they say every cloud has a silver lining and I am sure this will be the case.

adithorp

posted on 1/10/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Its easy. If they had built the track recently and people properties had devalued because of it I would agree with the local residents. If the noise had increased over the last year then I would also agree. I guess the Racetrack has been operating long before most local residents moved into the area.

I bet the local shops and garages aren't complaining. I bet the local residents who work at the circuit aren't complaining.

[Edited on 1/10/13 by Irony]

On the whole I'd agree but in this case... If I was buying a house and the search (or my own research) showed that the nearby track could only operate a fixed number of days, I might think "OK I can live with that". Then I move in and find the track operators are ignoring the rules... I might well be pissed off.

So...
You move to near...
A train line with only 2 trains a day, you'd object if they started running 2 freight trains/hour.
An airport that only operates daylight flights, you'd odject if they start 24hr flying.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

TimEllershaw

posted on 1/10/13 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

That is the heart of the problem. The circuit has been used more and more over the last few years and (anecdotally) the level of the noise has got louder. There have been all sorts of accusations of incompetence and wrong doing between MPML, the Council and the villagers. Slanging matches in the media and on social media. It has turned disappointingly ugly so some of the basic fact are lost in the bitterness and backbiting.

I have friends that live in the village and others who have businesses located in the workshops at Mallory. They have lived there for as long as I can remember, so are not new-to-the-area-nimbys, and some of them are proper petrol-heads too, but even they have started to question how the track is being used. My brother (car lover and former Mallory/BARC marshal ) lives in the next village a couple of miles away. He has always quite liked the sound of the track in the distance, and can usually tell you what is racing just from the sound, but he has acknowledged that the sound "is different" these days. Louder : maybe? higher pitch : perhaps? More annoying: possibly ?

IMHO, in the past when Mallory ran a few days over it's agreed limit for "noisy days" nobody noticed. I bet nobody even counted. Traffic was never a big problem and everything seemed to run happily. But when they started getting louder, more frequent and later at night, someone asked the inevitable question and opened the can of worms. To keep the company in the black MPML ran more events, and more varied events. I have heard that for some residents the last straw was a recent event ( drift day ??) that went on late into the night and gridlocked the village with visitors doing doughnuts and p'ing about on the public roads.

Tim.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thefreak

posted on 1/10/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
whoever was at fault in the past is now irrelevant. It's a brown site - I wonder how they'll cope with the alternative of their village being turned into a commuter town - should get a thousand dwellings on there - that'll be much quieter?

I've lived on or near active military runways my whole life and now live on a new development (on the site of an old airfield funnily enough) and know which I prefer!

The wishes of a minority ruin it for the majority once again

Kingsway? You a local?

[Edited on 1-10-13 by thefreak]

Irony

posted on 1/10/13 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me then that the local residents are in the right.
jeffw

posted on 1/10/13 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
You see what happens when you have both sides of the discussion.....

Hellfire

posted on 1/10/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
As one door closes, another one opens......

Even if the door is in a completely different room.

Phil

JacksAvon

posted on 1/10/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
i am sure someone told me that all the naysayers will fail their noise test next time at mallory park.

Nothing wrong with a good conspiracy theory

mjb199

posted on 11/10/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
An update

http://www .thisisleicestershire.co.uk/New-firm-set-hope-running-Mallory-Park-race-track/story-19906976-detail/story.html#axzz2hRQyDmkA

jeffw

posted on 12/10/13 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
The owners of Mallory Park say the circuit's operator is "solely to blame" for the difficulties the Leicestershire race venue finds itself in.

Mallory Park Motorsport Limited, the company that runs the circuit on behalf of leaseholder the BARC, was put into administration at the beginning of last week, after negotiations over an increase in the number of days it could operate for, plus a reduction in rent from the landowner, broke down.

Landowner Titan Properties, the company owned by former racer Chris Meek that saved the circuit from closure 30 years ago, says it offered a "50 per cent" reduction, but that this was rejected by MPML.

Titan managing director Brian Robinson said: "This amount was less than the rent paid in 2005 and indeed 2003.

"MPML demanded a much lower figure and subsequently the company was placed in administration with a view to protecting it, at the expense of the racing activities at Mallory, by threatening closure and not offering the company and its lease for sale.

"The previous owners of MPML - the Overend family (who ran the circuit until 2005) – had an excellent relationship with Kirkby Mallory village since 1985, with no problems, but circumstances have changed, due entirely to actions by the new owners of the company.

"Over the last three years the turnover has virtually halved, due to loss of major events, a disastrous relationship with the village, and failure to negotiate an improved racing use schedule. MPML is solely to blame for all this.

"Tragically it appears that Mallory Park is being sacrificed by the leaseholder for reasons other than racing."

Sloan85

posted on 4/12/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Buildbase BMW boss Stuart Hicken takes over Mallory lease.

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newsid=11015

http://mkindygsxr.blogspot.co.uk

mjb199

posted on 4/12/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
That's cool news. Interested to see how it develops. Really hoping to be able to do track days there next year as just live down the road.
rick1962uk

posted on 4/12/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
As above the track is owner is still going and intend to have meetings on im not 100% upto date with it all but sunday i had a meeting and was signed up for the 1000 bikes so thats still on
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.