Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why Pinto Power ????
Viper

posted on 3/7/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
nothing wrong with the pinto, bit on the heavy side admitidley i would have another look at your machining costs they do seem a bit over the top..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dilley

posted on 3/7/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
To start with not many becs weigh 600kg,

secondly, a bike engine is used for 250kg, but it is also geared for about 160-180mph, becs are geared for around 100-135mph depending on power thus puting the engine under no more strain than in a bike

pajsh

posted on 3/7/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry still not convinced about the longevity of BEC.

First my 600Kg was based on 500Kg ish car plus 75Kg driver. It was noted on here some time ago less than 500Kg is expensive. A bike would be normally 150Kg plus rider at 75Kg. However you look at it it's still twice the weight.

It may be geared for 150 mph but rarely sees that where as in a car it would regularly see 75 mph plus.

Also there is a small matter of aerodynamics. A bike is 1/3rd the width of a car and streamlined. A seven has the aerodynamics of a barn door.

I think bec's look great fun and are impressive but I'm still think the engines are going to suffer prematurely.

Not a problem if you can afford and expect it but I think it's something to factor into the debate.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

iank

posted on 4/7/06 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
I'd love to see you push it out of my driveway if it weighs more than about 100kg!

Lack of reverse also rules out any autotesting which is a sport where the Locost can excel.

It rules out most competitive motorsport, most regulations require a working reverse - including F1 incidentally. It's seen as a safety feature.

DarrenW

posted on 4/7/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just to give you an idea of mahining etc, i researched pinto rebuilding. Local firm in Northallerton gave me some ideas. They favour 2.0l and match block to head to give desired compression ratio etc. Have had very good results (ask Mookaloid). They can do 2.1 conversion but extra costs are not always economical.
All plus VAT and self assembly

Cyl head porting approx £200.
Head rebuilt with new valves, guides etc approx £120.
FR33 kit approx £220.
Bottom end bore & hone, new pistons, shaft grin, new big ends, fully balanced, lightened flywheel approx £520. Not sure if tis includes the block decking.
you will also need gaskets, pumps, bolts etc.
if engine is in good nick to start with you may not need pistons. This work has been shown to give around 150bhp at the wheels depending on final tune and fuel system etc. Carb and exhaust costs not included here as you will need them no matter which way you finally go.

Its up to you at the end of the day. If you already have pinto and ancills etc its worth considering.

andyharding

posted on 7/7/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
I still need the carbs tuning on the RR and a better ignition curve and I'm holding it back 1000RPM from the redline and I still kept up with a VX220 Turbo last night (0-60 in 4.7) so I wouldn't worry about Pinto's not being able to cut the mustard!

If your bottom end is in good condition just get a hone and fit new rings. Fit heavy duty bearings, ARP rod bolts and a high capacity/pressure oil pump. This will give you a reliable 7K RPM bottom end for a couple of hundred.

Get a very good port and polish, this is more important than big valves if your budget is a tight. Coupled with a Piper 285 cam, increased compression and bike carbs you'll be on the good side of 150BHP with ease.

I almost torn my Type9 box and diff in 1/2 in 1000miles with the power my Pinto is making.

With regards reverse:- I was sitting at traffic lights behind a MPV the other day and a lorry was having difficaulty crossing the junction. The MPV decided to reverse back to let him past but didn't look / didn't see me. The was no one behind so I stuck it in reverse and lit the tyres to just avoid a collision. Now I wouldn't even consider having a car without reverse...

[Edited on 7/7/06 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/7/06 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
In defence of the pinto. They are nicknamed boat anchors, ok so boat have anchors they are generally big and heavy, but consider this. When a boat sinks, and inevitably they do, then after a period of time there is generally not a lot left. Apart from its anchors. The moral of this is that they tend to go on and on and on & on & on....................... .
If a cambelt breaks on a pinto you replace the belt. If a cambelt breaks on a Zetec ............ .

Ultimately the choice of engine that you use MUST be your choice. Personally I hope that the information that you have recieved here helps you to make that choice.

Oh yes, just changed my Taxi to a Mondeo 1.8 and after a week its burnt a valve. When the head was removed we found a piston has slight damage. New piston £85

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Toady1

posted on 7/7/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
andyharding - whats been done to your pinto and what sort of power are you putting out?
andyharding

posted on 7/7/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
andyharding - whats been done to your pinto and what sort of power are you putting out?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=46561

Toady1

posted on 7/7/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
ah yeah i remember now replying to that thread! looks a nice motor mate! did you do all the work inc head gas flowing yourself? where did you get the r1 inlet manifold from? make me want to tune mine seeing as its got a fresh bottom end!
andyharding

posted on 7/7/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I assembled it although I paid a mate to do the actual porting as the Pinto heads are very hard and I couldn't spare the time as I was busy with other things.

The manifold is from Bogg Bros www.boggbros.co.uk

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/7/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pajsh
I did consider BEC but I think it would be best from scratch. I'm still undecided about the longevity of something that's designed for pulling around 250Kg having to drag 600Kg.

Ah but its designed for far more than 250kgs, the bikes weight best part of 200kgs on their own, plus a rider an pillion add (in worse case scenario) best part of the same again, then there's the possibility of luggage etc, all things that will be taken into account by the manufacturer when designing the engine. Add in the fact that a BEC is ~50% lower geared than the bike meaning it can lug more weight without adding addition stress to the engine, then suddenly its not as bad as you first think. Im not saying there isnt additional stress over a bike, but its not as much as you think and considering the amount of miles most kit cars do annually, a BEC engine is well up to the job as long as you aren't expecting 6 figure mileages etc.

Getting a BEC well under 500kgs is a no brainer too, unless you're fitting out the car in the ultimate luxury, a stock built BEC 7 with all donor parts (brakes, uprights etc) and no tarty light weight bits can still easily weigh 450kgs or less (dont forget the entire engine AND box weighs 60kgs - compare that with the "light" Zetec and a Type 9)

at the old torque chestnut AGAIN btw, ignorance is bliss Zetec7

[Edited on 8/7/06 by ChrisGamlin]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.