Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0 ford zetec or vauxhall XE *edit: or Ecotec 2.0?*
blakep82

posted on 5/11/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
what's likely to be in a K/L plate calibra (turbo)?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega 24 v6

posted on 5/11/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
mines came from a K plate sri 16v (there's the clue) the engine was fitted to quite a few of the late sri's.
In a K or L plate calibra it could be redtop LET (turbo'ed XE).
Look for a spark plug cover with a leg on it as opposed to straight (if you know what I mean).

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

blakep82

posted on 5/11/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
^ yeah, i know the ones. look like one of these things-> ¬ instead of -

i'll check it out! theres one being broken near me.

this may be a stupid question, how easy is it to remove the turbo? I'm just thinking if it either 1) doesn't come with everything it needs and i can't afford to buy the missing bits, 2) i'm struggling for space (which shouldn't be a problem) or 3) i could sell it to make some money back, and replace it later when i've got more money

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

omega 24 v6

posted on 5/11/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Usually the turbo'ed models will have a lower C/Ratio so unless you want a turbo then go for the right thing from the start.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

NS Dev

posted on 5/11/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
turbo has wrong pistons and quite possibly wrong clutch, but is worth much more and is much more saleable

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 5/11/07 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy Dave
If you can show me an Astra GTE, or a Cavvy GSI available for 400 in a loved state (not 'loved' as in 'f**ked', then I'll buy all I can - I never keep one on the books for more than a couple of days before it's gone. I actually have two people waiting for engines now if you can show me one going for this price?

Even Sierras round here now are £500, and this isn't exactly an affluent neighbourhood.

It doesn't change the fact that they've gone the way of the mk2 and the Cortina, and they're going to get harder and harder to find, and people are going to have to accept that the Ecotec for want of its failings, is a perfectly useable motor.

Blimey I must really live in a dump then! The chap across the road that i am mates with has just bought a very tidy GTE 16v with perfect engine (replaced and the replacement has done under 50,000miles) 6 speed gearbox, bilstein suspension (not chav rubbish, the rally strut casings etc) and a whole pile of decent bits, for £300. he was going to break it but now having driven it he's using it for winter then breaking it.

6 months ago I bought an MOT'd 1994 cavalier SRI with an XE in it (on the changeover year, some had ecotecs, some XE's, you have to look! ) that had 98,000 on the clock, recent (non-dealer) service history, and best of all, it had had a porous head and as a result had a fully (and nicely) recon Coscast head on it. Even the bodywork was tidy.

I paid £200 cash, pulled the engine, box, electric aerial, lights and radiator(it had a new one) out, sold all bar the engine on ebay, which netted around £125 iirc, then weighed the shell in which made about £75 iirc, so the engine was free.

The head or headgasket then started leaking on my locost, so rather than fanny about the head from that cavvy engine went straight on and the one that came off is in my pile of Coscast heads awaiting checking over!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

blakep82

posted on 5/11/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
i hate engines... the scrap yeard round here are full of shite. metros, polos etc, and all very rusty. I live right next to the river Clyde, so the air's very salty all year round. anythings decent has been abused by chavs, and usually rolled

there's really not much round here

chriscook

posted on 5/11/07 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Problem is, when did you last see an XE for £100 that was worth having? That doesn't even get you a decent head these days.

Not had the one I've got apart yet all I can tell you is that I can turn the crank. My old head seems to be okay so I can probably use that if the one on the (new) engine is knackered. I was always going to rebuild it properly anyway so if it needs pistons and a rebore i'm not really bothered.

Fatboy Dave

posted on 6/11/07 at 02:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:
If you can show me an Astra GTE, or a Cavvy GSI available for 400 in a loved state (not 'loved' as in 'f**ked', then I'll buy all I can - I never keep one on the books for more than a couple of days before it's gone. I actually have two people waiting for engines now if you can show me one going for this price?

Even Sierras round here now are £500, and this isn't exactly an affluent neighbourhood.

It doesn't change the fact that they've gone the way of the mk2 and the Cortina, and they're going to get harder and harder to find, and people are going to have to accept that the Ecotec for want of its failings, is a perfectly useable motor.

Blimey I must really live in a dump then! The chap across the road that i am mates with has just bought a very tidy GTE 16v with perfect engine (replaced and the replacement has done under 50,000miles) 6 speed gearbox, bilstein suspension (not chav rubbish, the rally strut casings etc) and a whole pile of decent bits, for £300. he was going to break it but now having driven it he's using it for winter then breaking it.

6 months ago I bought an MOT'd 1994 cavalier SRI with an XE in it (on the changeover year, some had ecotecs, some XE's, you have to look! ) that had 98,000 on the clock, recent (non-dealer) service history, and best of all, it had had a porous head and as a result had a fully (and nicely) recon Coscast head on it. Even the bodywork was tidy.

I paid £200 cash, pulled the engine, box, electric aerial, lights and radiator(it had a new one) out, sold all bar the engine on ebay, which netted around £125 iirc, then weighed the shell in which made about £75 iirc, so the engine was free.

The head or headgasket then started leaking on my locost, so rather than fanny about the head from that cavvy engine went straight on and the one that came off is in my pile of Coscast heads awaiting checking over!

Yup, must be a complete hole!

Best you get round here is 250 for a Zetec, or any number of Omega motors with gearboxes for 150. A type 9 is 50-75, an MT75 is 100. XR4x4 axles (if you can find one these days) are 300. I might add that these are remove yourself prices.

And no, never once seen any XE powered motor in the flea ads for the last couple of years (well, unless you count good runners that have been modified; they come up from time to time).

It won't change the fact that there are now more Ecotecs out there and the XE is getting rarer.

Anyway, this argument is getting pointless now...

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

NS Dev

posted on 6/11/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
lol true!

Certainly won't argue that ecotecs are common, and yep, one with gearbox plucked from an omega makes for a cheap donor that is on equal par or maybe slightly better than a zetec.

iank

posted on 6/11/07 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty of Cavalier SRi's up here for around £350 with 6mo MOT.
http://www.adtrader.co.uk/classhome.php?class_id=110&trader_id=8864&search_words=cavalier

Stick the lights, wheels, interior and bumpers on ebay and weigh in the shell, should get back £100-200 depending on how mad the ebayers and Chinese steel buyers are feeling that week.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 6/11/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
that turbo'd xe has already gone.

I'm not really up for buying a whole car and breaking it. too much effort, i'd rather just buy an engine.

I guess its an xe from ebay then...

NS Dev

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
be very careful, the hassle of breaking a car is nothing compared to the hassle of installing your ebay engine to find it needs a new head cos its gone porous.

You need to see it running before you buy

blakep82

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
true... what yould be the symptoms of a porous cylinder head? smoke? water/steam?

I've not got the space to break a car (already got too many cars...) or the time to strip it, time for ebaying the parts etc.

I know a decent head for them are more expensive (usually) than a complete engine, but it there anyway to repair a porous head?

I was speaking to a guy the other day, who might have a mate with a XE for sale, I'll have a word. I'm planning on getting it stripped down anyway.

these things are a minefield... I might be luck (unlikely...), maybe a coscast head, but how do you tell the difference?

iank

posted on 6/11/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
these things are a minefield... I might be luck (unlikely...), maybe a coscast head, but how do you tell the difference?

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52898
NS Dev post about half way down the thread.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

NS Dev

posted on 6/11/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
aye its a minefield, but not as bad as some would suggest as long as you can see it running.

Check for oil in the water and pushing the water up in the header tank with the cap off, usual headgasket signs really.

Coscast head also isn't a total guarantee of ok-ness, as my locost engine was a coscast and started getting oil in the water. Pretty sure it was the gasket from when the engine had stood as it was fine when it was in the donor calibra (it was my mates road car!), but I had a spare recon coscast head so just swapped that when I did the gasket to make sure, seeing as it was just before SVA!

If you do struggle, drop me a u2u, I do have various heads in various states of repair. Unfortunately I have no blocks spare at the mo though.

PS yep the porous head is usually completely repairable, basically sleeving a head bolt hole where the drilling gets very close to the waterways.

[Edited on 6/11/07 by NS Dev]

blakep82

posted on 6/11/07 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
^ i'm sure you will have the odd u2u about this! like i said before, the calibra engine from the one being broken has already gone, but when i dropped my axle off for welding one of the guys there mentioned a vauxhall engine a mate of his had spare. I'll ask him tomorrow. I'm planning on getting any engine stripped and rebuilt, so hopefully won't be a problem, and i'm happier that the heads can be repaired if a problem hopefully it'll be fine, its just something i didn't think i'd have to think about, and it'll cost more than i thought it would

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.