Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hoist trolley - traverse setup
zilspeed

posted on 10/1/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hoist trolley - traverse setup

I've had one of the inexpensive electric hoists for some time now and it has been great. It removed the crossflow and gearbox and I used it to lift the bike engine in and out while I made the engine mounts. All that time it was mounted statically from the roof joists using a monster sized wrecking bar as a support. This worked fine, but being static it wasn't as usefull as it could have been.
So as I now want to haul my engine back out, drop it at the side of the car and clean the engine bay, I decided it was time to enable some movement of the hoist.

Basically, I have bolted 40mmx40mm x 3mm equal angle to the side of each joist with bevel cuts at the ends to allow them to sit right on top of the wall heads. This was done on two adjacent joists with the angles facing each other.
I then made up a trolley which the hoist bolts to and this has 5 roller bearing each side mounted on M10 bolts. The trolley was made such that even if all ten bolts were to fail simultaneously, the layout of the steel would prevent complete failure.

Steel cost £12
Hoist cost £40 a couple of years back.
Bearings cost £4 for all ten.
Bolts cost About £1.50 but I had to buy a tenner's worth from Screwfix.

That's a good value addition to the shed of Zil for under £60 all in.

Anyway, as the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are some pics.

Hope this is of help to some of you and remember, you are responsible for your own safety. Make your own decisions and accept responsibility for your own safety and well being.

Cheers

JF

Steel on joist
Steel on joist

trolley mounted to hoist
trolley mounted to hoist

Hoist on position RHS
Hoist on position RHS

Hoist in position LHS
Hoist in position LHS

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/1/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Holy crikes tight *rs is spending money.......are you ill?????????

zilspeed

posted on 10/1/09 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I know, I'll have to go and see the doctor.

Thing is thought, it means that I'll be able to stand a chance of getting somewhere now.

Working on your own can be a bit challenging, so you have to be crafty sometimes, don't you think ?

MikeR

posted on 10/1/09 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
blooming heck, that is some hoist, didn't realise you could fit an engine powered hoist in that space - hope you vent the exhaust gas properly
zilspeed

posted on 10/1/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
blooming heck, that is some hoist, didn't realise you could fit an engine powered hoist in that space - hope you vent the exhaust gas properly

Yeah, ok then.

That'll be the spare exhaust for the Golf.

Anyway, you now how it is when space is at a premium. You store stuff wherever you can.

britishtrident

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
nice one
zetec7

posted on 10/1/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same thing in the new shop I'm building. The track it rolls on is 16 feet long, so I can lift an engine at the front of the shop, give it a gentle push, and roll it back to the work bench. And vice-versa. A very precise & controllable way of removing/replacing a motor by yourself. The track/trolley bits cost more than the hoist itself, though!

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyw7de

posted on 10/1/09 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good john

Im not offended that I didnt get a mention in the credits after all the angle holding i did when cutting the bits for this marvelous contraption.

Hope those joists are well nailed in and SWL is painted onto the angle

All the best

Andy

zilspeed

posted on 10/1/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
That second one was 1mil short......

SWL is about half a bag of cement.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.