Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Linux anyone?
Ninehigh

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Linux anyone?

Does anyone use Linux? If so are there any major compatibility issues? I mostly surf, web based games ect. plus I download podcasts (which involves turning the volume up on the file using Roxio) and playing poker.

Also is it possible to try it out without removing windoze in case it's more of a pain?

tegwin

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, Yes, Yes to all...

Download Ubuntu... Burn it onto a CD and you can boot into it without damaging windows...

Its awsome for exactly as you say above.... Some of the grafical interfaces are awsome!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

AdrianH

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I use Suse and older version and can do most things There are flash downloads for stuff when doing video etc. I am sure that most of the major distributions can offer what you want.

If you look for a Linux Magazine in smiths there is useually a DVD you can try, some offer a try it and see version.

TRy http://www.linux.org/ and look around the site they list various distributions and can lead to download sites, but hope you have a very fast download speed!
Cheers

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Land Locked

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
been using linuxmint for the last 2 years.

Hardcore gaming is not on the menu
It comes with most everything you need to get running and the cd is a live cd which means you can boot from the cd and play a wee bit before committing. Running the live cd is SLOW cause it doesn't affect your existing operating system at all, but it gives you an idea of what can and can't be done as well as hardware compatibility.

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I use MINT, UBUNTU and PUPPY (on an old low spec laptop)
All have worked faultlessly. It can all what you want and far far more.

Doing a duel boot is very easy to do, lots of resources on line give a full step by step guide.

tegwin

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I asked a similar question about 6 months ago..

I downloaded about 6 versions of linux, including Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint, Kubuntu and a few others...

Ubuntu was the only one I could get to work out of the box for web browsing and basic network interface...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Keith Weiland

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
There should be no major compatibility issues, Ubuntu is nice but you may feel more comfortable with Kubuntu.

You can download the live cd and change your BIOS to boot from CD and try it without installing or you can actually install within windows using Wubi which can then be uninstalled from within windows if you don't like it. It uses the windows boot loader and will give you more of a feel of the speed of it as booting from the CD will be very slow.

Another nice versions is Linux Mint (which is based off Ubuntu) it uses all the Ubuntu repositories so you arent missing out on anything and also has some of its own and includes some non Open Source software by default so you can play DVD's and view Flash web stuff etc. without having to install those applications, another alternative is so add the medibuntu packages which will give you those features also.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Keith Weiland

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Land Locked

Hardcore gaming is not on the menu

Rubbish, there are many great games which work on Linux. Sometimes better than on windows. I have also had good success using wine for games which don't run natively on Linux

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 20/3/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Added bonus - the scrotes who write trojans and viruses don't bother with Linux because there are too many variants to attack. Even if something does get through, it will only affect the user who's logged in - the 'root' user who has all the administrative power is not accessible (unless the owner is stupid enough to log in as root and do browsing etc.). In the case of Ubuntu, there is no 'root' user - you have to formally request admin rights every time you want to do anything significant (known as 'sudo' - 'super-user do' which needs a password before you can do anything important).

The scrotes consider that it's too much work for too little reward to attack a Linux system - unlike Windoze, which is far too easy, and being a 'universal system' offers big results for their efforts.

[Edited on 20/3/09 by David Jenkins]

nstrug

posted on 20/3/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I work for Red Hat, which is the largest enterprise Linux vendor.

I suggest you have a look at Fedora which is our community Linux versions, and of course is freely available.

You'll find an extremely stable, secure and fast operating system.

And on that note, if anyone with linux skills needs a job, I currently have headcounts open for linux and JBoss consultants and instructors and I'm looking for CVs

Cheers,
Nick

Keith Weiland

posted on 20/3/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
How much skill are you looking for? I can install it and use it. I am better with Linux than the average person is with windows but that's about it.
mediabloke

posted on 20/3/09 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Does anyone use Linux? Also is it possible to try it out without removing windoze in case it's more of a pain?

I use Redhat at work, so CentOS was a great option for for home use. As a comparative noob when it comes to installing / configuring Linux, I wanted to avoid finding any "on-the-edge" problems, so I thought twice about Fedora. Can't speak highly enough about RH for business use though.

CentOS has a partitioning tool, that allows you to decide how you want to install it. If you add another HDD, you'll have even more options - you oould keep one drive for Windows, the other for Linux, and just change the boot order in the bios.

Francis.

britishtrident

posted on 20/3/09 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
If you want top know what is hot in linux the current ranking in terms of page hits on Distrowatch are a good guide.http://distrowatch.com/ ---- down to 10th place most of the distros are pretty well sorted.

Ubuntu is the great white hope of Linux, it is a truly major project with the aim of ousting Microsoft, however the released versions tend to be a little usorted for the beginner.

Started as a one man operation Mint is a properly sorted customised desktop/laptop version of Ubuntu -- lags a few months behind Ubuntu but has all the multimedia stuff sorted.

Mepis & PCLinuxOS are very good solid versions of linux for the desktop.

Puppy Linux is just so small and cool and fast --- runs very fast indeed even running from a bootable CD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Avoid Fedora like the plague ---- it looks fabulous but it too many issues each in each new release some major component dosen't work and takes 2 or 3 releases to get fixed. . Most of the best people from the Fedora project jumprd ship to Ubuntu. Also if you want it to play media files you will have to spent the best part of a day adding the required CODECS.

SUSE and Mandriva are out dated tend to run very slowly and have hardware recognition issues.

[Edited on 20/3/09 by britishtrident]

David Jenkins

posted on 21/3/09 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Puppy Linux is just so small and cool and fast --- runs very fast indeed even running from a bootable CD

I use Puppy on an ancient laptop. It is amazingly fast, even on that, but I have one issue with it - the user runs as 'root' rather than as a normal user.

It's also a bit eccentric... but then, so am I!

jlparsons

posted on 21/3/09 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
To my mind there are three problems with linux:

1. You have to learn a new system and get used to a new filesystem too. It's not hard, but it'll take a little tinkering (actually, being as you're on this site, that's unlikely to be an issue for you!)

2. You may not be able to use the same software. You'll find equivalents, and some of those may well be better and also free, but you'll need to get used to them and they may well assume a higher level of computor literacy.

3. If you're into gaming, forget it.

I recently reformatted and installed ubuntu and windows XP on the same machine as a dual boot. I needed to download various drivers from different sites to get all the devices on the system working with windows. Ubuntu on the other hand automatically installed and configured everything, not to mention that it installed itself in half the time windows did. Talk about role reversal... five years ago linux was a pig to install and windows was easy.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/3/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
if you choose ubuntu then this is very useful

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download3.html

in fact it explains the file system in plain english for any linux distro so worth a read to get you head round a new way of working.

Most is intuitive though.

Ninehigh

posted on 21/3/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like I shall do this dual boot thingy, but does that mean I'll have to make a partition? Making the partition shouldn't be a problem it's just reversing it if I decide that windows/linux isn't for me

Edit: by the look of things I'm going to need a minimum of 20g of space free, plus preparing the drive is going to wipe out half of what I've got on there. So it shall be waiting until the warranty's up and I get a bigger drive

[Edited on 21/3/09 by Ninehigh]

Keith Weiland

posted on 21/3/09 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just use Wubi, no preparation necessary, no repartitioning or anything, just download and install in windows just like any other program. On reboot you will now have a dual boot system, to get rid of it just boot into windows and un-install as you do any other program.
Ninehigh

posted on 21/3/09 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ah cool shall give it a go. Can I access windows stuff (documents, poker game etc) while linux is running?

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/3/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
yes, just mount the drive to access your files, and I would imagine the poker is online? In which case just type the web address into the browser which comes with linux (firefox?)
Ninehigh

posted on 22/3/09 at 06:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
yes, just mount the drive to access your files, and I would imagine the poker is online? In which case just type the web address into the browser which comes with linux (firefox?)

Mount the drive? I might be asking about that one later on. All the poker games are actually programs I have on the drive, i.e. they are online but not through a browser. Kinda like playstation games with the online play if you get me

Ninehigh

posted on 22/3/09 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Got it running, but does it rock?

I've got Ubuntu running, looking good so far. Now I'm looking for replacement software. Can anyone reccommend alternatives to the following?

Flashget: Downloads everything from torrents to music files

Roxio media creator 10: Used for burning discs in mp3 format and turning up the volume on my podcasts using the sound (so I don't have to have the car stereo on full!)

Can I access my other (windows) machines for dumping files to bigger hard disks? I'm at work so I haven't tested this yet.

Oh yeah and a mail server. I've got a hotmail and an old ntl account that I get through windows live mail.

I think if I can overcome those 4 then I won't need windows at all

Staple balls

posted on 22/3/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
I've got Ubuntu running, looking good so far. Now I'm looking for replacement software. Can anyone reccommend alternatives to the following?

Flashget: Downloads everything from torrents to music files

Roxio media creator 10: Used for burning discs in mp3 format and turning up the volume on my podcasts using the sound (so I don't have to have the car stereo on full!)

Can I access my other (windows) machines for dumping files to bigger hard disks? I'm at work so I haven't tested this yet.

Oh yeah and a mail server. I've got a hotmail and an old ntl account that I get through windows live mail.

I think if I can overcome those 4 then I won't need windows at all

download managers (IIRC ubuntu comes with a torrent client installed)

cd/dvd burner

mail server stuff

Samba (windows file sharing) guide

Ninehigh

posted on 22/3/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
What is that k3b? Looks like something I'm going to have to put together myself!

Staple balls

posted on 22/3/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
there's packages (installer type things) available further down not sure if any are ubuntu happy, a mate suggested it.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.