Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to move a 2 post car lift
NS Dev

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
How to move a 2 post car lift

Right, looking at a Bradbury 2103 2 post lift.......

first off, anybody know what they weigh? I'm guessing around 750kg all up.

How much do the individual pillars weigh, and any ideas how to get them onto a car trailer without too much hernia?

Also, how long have these been around for and what goes wrong with them (guessing lift nuts and thats about it?? )

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

speedyxjs

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just my opinion but i never feel safe under a 2 poster. They always look like they are about to topple over when having to undo stubborn nuts etc

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
These guys could probably answer, and they're based in Bedworth - so not far.

You probably know them already?

http://www.garageequipmentdirect.co.uk/index1.html

NS Dev

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
have you worked under a 4 poster? They are always in the way!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Land Locked

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm always tempted to give a simple reply like "very carefully".

Without toys like overhead cranes, a wheeled engine crane and straps to lay the posts flat, same to lift at centre of gravity and load flat onto a trailer. One could replace the lifting gear with many hands, but it's much easier on the back to use the crane.

(wish I had space for a 2poster in my home workshop)

[Edited on 8/4/09 by Land Locked]

NS Dev

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
really was a case of, "anybody else done it?" and "how many bodies do you need to lift it?" I'm guessing 4 but I really don't know!?

speedyxjs

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
have you worked under a 4 poster? They are always in the way!

Yeah. I think the scissor ones are best but they are really expensive atm

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

NS Dev

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ps, Dave, yep I could go there, no, never come across them before but thanks for the tip, may be useful for spares.

We were looking at possibly spending £700 to a grand on a used lift, but now found one for £200 that "seems ok" but its a good few miles away and I'm trying to hatch a plan for pairs of hands required!

Mal

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've Done it

5 weeks ago I bought a second hand 2 post lift. I removed the motor from one of the columns to lighten it. Then the columns were unbolted from the base.
3 of us were able to manually lift the columns and the base frame into my box trailer. Once home I used my manual hoist to lift the components from the trailer on my own.
So, easily do-able.

Mal

Danozeman

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
4 men to lift it. If the posts have the motor on the top theyl be f'ing heavy.

When we had our Tecalemit 2 poster moved at work the post with the motor on fell on a bloke and dam near broke his leg. They were moving it with 2 people and it took 4 of us to lift it off him and stand it up again.

So if you can lay it down and take the motor off.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

NS Dev

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Its dismantled into the base "h-frame" and the two posts, one of which still has the motor on, though I guess that won't be a huge job to remove.

Krismc

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you where closer i could of lent the tools for the job, but im in newcastle!

Need anyparts im sure i can help, as thats basically my job

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

hillbillyracer

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a hydraulic/cable 2 poster & had to dismantle it, we unbolted the motor/pump from the top of the post it was on & then unbolted the pillars & laid them down, then lifted them with an engine crane onto my trailer, the base was light enough for us just to lift ourselves.
The only real problem was the pullies for the cables stuck out of the bottom of the pillars & one took off across the floor on us as we started to lay it down & could have been very messy but we were lucky & nowt was damaged as it fell. If you're on mechanical screw threads that wont happen to you!
This was done with just me & a mate, looking back we were daft & it should have been a four man job.

ashg

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
your looking at about 300kg a side. have moved a coupe for friends and its allways taken 4 blokes and an engine crane to move them any distance.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

NS Dev

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
ashg, cheers, comfirmed my suspicions!!

blakep82

posted on 8/4/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
engine crane should be man enough to lift each post, the leg can manouver under your trailer, legs either side of the wheels, should get you sorted i'd think?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 8/4/09 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeah the engine lift can get it to the trailer once its on the ground but it cant un-bolt it lift it off the floor studs and lay it down on the ground thats where the 4 blokes come in to guide it lol

the best way to move them is with a H beam A frame using a winch and pully system but the aframe its self is also a beast to move about.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.