Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Electric planes
tegwin

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
OT Electric planes

Following on from Nitrams slightly annoyingly inspirational thread...

I dont fancy the expense and complications of a heli.... so quite fancy a nice RC plane...

I bought a plane about 10 years ago and didnt fly it much (if atall)...

But quite fancy having something that I can hand launch on the local common and have a bit of a bimble with..

I tried a couple of Zaggi flying wings a few years back.. one powered and one un-powered.... they are not the easiest of things to fly!

For all intents and purposes I would be a novice....

So what model is fairly easy to fly but can still "perform" once I get the hang of the basics? Oh... and it needs to be pretty indestructable...

Open to suggestions

[Edited on 28/4/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

nitram38

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
electric piper cub, great slow planes to fly, bright as hell in the sky so you can see if your upsides down!

don't go it alone though, for gods sake go to the local club and get training otherwise you'll just crash the dam thing

linky

[Edited on 28/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Balsa and ply?..... that is going to HURT when it crashes....

Are there no "non toy" indestructable foam aircraft out there? When I was just leaving the sport EPP had just come in... fantastic material....

This is the plane I bought 10 years ago.... its a bit "big" to just carry down the road onto the common..... hence why I wanted something smaller (for low wind)

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/robbe_cessna_152.html

[Edited on 28/4/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
can you take off, fly a circuit and land by yourself?

there is the little foame pico cub that tend to come out for a dual in the evening. They're quite small but cope amazingly well in light winds, can be glued back together

linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.... just about....

What do you recon to something like this:

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/airelon_traiiner_wing_dragon_4.html

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/4/09 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Yes.... just about....

What do you recon to something like this:

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/airelon_traiiner_wing_dragon_4.html

yeah that'll do, plus it has ailerons rather than just rudder so it'll handle the wind better, buy a couple of spare batterys to take with you to make the most of the evening. One of my fave planes is a very simple electric glider that just gets flown when I come back from work if I can't be bothered going to the club or hauling out the heli. You don't need something fancy to have fun.

cloudy

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I spent £10 on one of these:

No flight controls - but as they were on offer at a tenner, I thought why not.

Would fly high enough to be a pinprick, 10min flight time and lugged around a little wireless cam I have. Eventually the frustration of having no real control meant it ended up in the bin...

James

www.warnercars.com

02GF74

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
novice, cheap, indestructable?

here

Dickyboy

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Watch out for the local council jobsworths, there are restrictions on what can be flown in public places, I believe weight and wingspan come into it
chrisg

posted on 28/4/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these

Super cub

Easy to fly and virtually indestructable.

If you do break it all the bits are available seperately.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

f1ngers

posted on 28/4/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one of these
Great fun to fly, cheap and virtually indestructible. My 7 year old daughter flies it and it has been in the trees and stuffed in the ground a few times but escapes unscathed as it is contructed from EPP. Makes a good beginner aircraft as it's only got throttle and left/right control. You climb on the throttle and the left right control is achieved by slowing one of the fans. Makes a great sound too!
I've got a Zagi as well but it needs a big space. These little Silverlit planes can be flown in a large graden or small field.

[Edited on 28/4/09 by f1ngers]

rf900rush

posted on 28/4/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I would agree as above .
"Hi wing" trainer type, and if possible aerolons.

And if you can't fly, find someone who can to help.

Don't buy anything like this.

Lost my bottle after above 5 flights then ebayed it.

Just too fast.
Brushless motor ment a propeller tip speed of 300mph.

hicost blade

posted on 28/4/09 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Buy an ARTF electric glider with a 540 buggy motor to run on 7 NiCad’s and you will never look back, these are by far the easiest to fly and will stay up for hours in the thermals. Also if you smash the wing you can buy another for one cheap. Just watch out for ground effect when you try and land it!! they seem just to float at about 2 feet off the ground forever.

I have one of these and it’s a delight:

http://www.elitemodelsonline.co.uk/Products/Aircraft/Gliders/item342

Umm Lovely

keith2lp

posted on 28/4/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Look at the Multiplex range of planes, they are made from epp foam and are very difficult to break.

The Easy Star is a good place to start and is easy to fly. As the prop is above the wings it takes away the problems of any damage to the motor or prop. The wings are in 2 parts so is easy to transport.

I have one of these which now has a brushless motor running on 11.1 v lipos and it is fun to fly.

mad4x4

posted on 28/4/09 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Look at the "hobbyzone" range of Planes I have 2 a firebird command and an aerobird.

The firebird is easy and simple I have only every skillfull crashed the aerobird

Hobbyzone

Moorron

posted on 28/4/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keith2lp
Hi

Look at the Multiplex range of planes, they are made from epp foam and are very difficult to break.

The Easy Star is a good place to start and is easy to fly. As the prop is above the wings it takes away the problems of any damage to the motor or prop. The wings are in 2 parts so is easy to transport.

I have one of these which now has a brushless motor running on 11.1 v lipos and it is fun to fly.

i started with the multiplex minimag, but stuck a brushless motor into it and used my futaba TX. Amazingly easy to use, i had never flown planes before just helis and found i needed no help with it. it doesnt like wind so you need a nice still day but good fun. Had some crashes with it, all from messing about and flying in small closed fields which were full of trees.

Definatly recomend this, even with the poor motor and battery that comes with it. On the 2500 3 cell battery i get 30 minutes it of it.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

MautoK

posted on 28/4/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
I thought you meant one of these...

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

MikeRJ

posted on 28/4/09 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do get something made from EPP foam. Balsa is great if you really get into the hobby and learn some skills, but having to sweep up the remnants of your your plane and take it home from the park in a bin liner is a bit disheartening. I know all about that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.