Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speeding Fine - lesson learnt
Ivan

posted on 22/5/09 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Speeding Fine - lesson learnt

Just got a speeding fine - on my old car after I traded it in.

Problem is I transferred my old registration number to my new car and the fine administrators didn't care about car colour or type just that I owned a car with that number

Lesson learnt - pull your registration number off your trade-in at the dealers

Now a major mission to get fine cancelled - and you are never sure if you have succeeded until you are arrested one day for ignoring your fine. (Which is what they do in SA)

r1_pete

posted on 22/5/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Surely you have the trade in documents to show when the car left your possession, and the pink slip of the v5 - or SA equiv.

Also whoever was driving your old car was doing so illegally, as it had in effect false plates on, unless its different over there....

[Edited on 22/5/09 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 22/5/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a bummer.

From what ive heard normal morality doesnt always feature in SA society. My ex boss was Rhodesian but spent most of his time in SA, he never ceased to amaze me with his stories. No wonder he never trusted anyone.

Ivan

posted on 22/5/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
The problem isn't to prove myself innocent in the courts - it's to get it sorted out before it reaches that stage without wasting days and travelling several hundred miles to the town where it happened.

I of course had a lot to say to the agents - who basically said they would sort it out but because I don't trust them any more, and the consequences will be suffered by me if they don't it means that I have to sort it out for my own peace of mind and possibly personal safety.

Here they have a system of road side number plate readers with road blocks to pick up people with cases outstanding and they pull you over and arrest you, putting you in a holding cell with all sorts (gangsters, murderers, druggies etc) until your lawyer posts bail. And of course most are not inclined to discuss your innocence or proof thereof before arresting you. And of course they don't notify you that the case has been withdrawn. So mission to sort out.

cd.thomson

posted on 22/5/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
SA fascinates me, it seems so westernised with number plate readers etc but then it seems to have this terrifying undercurrent of corruption and crime.

I could be way of the mark, im just going on what louis theroux told me!

Craig

Land Locked

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
SA fascinates me, it seems so westernised with number plate readers etc but then it seems to have this terrifying undercurrent of corruption and crime.

It's worse!!! Though I don't think I could live anywhere else.

02GF74

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Land Locked
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson

It's worse!!! Though I don't think I could live anywhere else.

I take it you have never been to Bolton then?

Land Locked

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

I take it you have never been to Bolton then?

Where's that? somewhere in East Africa?
Seriously though, never left the shores.

omega0684

posted on 22/5/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
bolten has nothing on chaventry!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 22/5/09 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - Technologically and legally SA is most probably right up there with the rest of the world - but the people administrating it all often leave a lot to be desired - despite that, I couldn't even contemplate living anywhere else and once you've desensitised yourself to the bad the good is so very very good.

I sometimes think that living in South Africa the popular saying should be changed to: "Ignorance is bliss and its most definitely folly to be wise"

skodaman

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
"Yeah - Technologically and legally SA is most probably right up there with the rest of the world - but the people administrating it all often leave a lot to be desired"
So it's just like the UK then?

Skodaman

Land Locked

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skodaman
"Yeah - Technologically and legally SA is most probably right up there with the rest of the world - but the people administrating it all often leave a lot to be desired"
So it's just like the UK then?

From that which I've been reading here over the last while, yes very much so.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.