Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there something wrong with the rest of the world?
tegwin

posted on 3/6/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Is there something wrong with the rest of the world?

I am a member on quite a few car related sites...

And being a "locostbuilder" at heart I like to do things for myself and stretch the pennies as far as I possibly can....

So why is it, whenever I mention that I have done something myself on the car, or have made a part for the car I get the death stare from most members..

Is it totally unbelievable for someone to try and use their own initiative to make a part and fit it?.. no? GRRRR

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
maybe its not the 'rest of the world' who has something wrong

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/6/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's like the food thing. People can't make the link between what's on their plate and that it once belonged to one of them cows from the field around the corner.
Same thing with a car part. Someone somewhere (okay probably a machine but hey) has made that part in a workshop. Well you've just made one in a smaller workshop wearing slightly dirtier overalls.

tegwin

posted on 3/6/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
How rude.. my overalls are cleaner than all of yours!!! (I wish)

I wasnt refering to an incident on this website... but a few other forums seem to be a bit anti "DIY" ... Im just waiting to get my Bugatti Veyron and start servicing myself!!! Think how much I could save!!

And its worth noting that I am NORMAL! Everyone else is just totally messed up

[Edited on 3/6/09 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I think it's like the food thing. People can't make the link between what's on their plate and that it once belonged to one of them cows from the field around the corner.
Same thing with a car part. Someone somewhere (okay probably a machine but hey) has made that part in a workshop. Well you've just made one in a smaller workshop wearing slightly dirtier overalls.

i think you've got it right there.

people think cars just somehow appear in the showroom, you buy it and its outside your house. and some people go as far as thinking machines make them, and they're all perfect. the thought of someone actually making a part themselves is unheard of for some, and a lot of people will think its un safe, even if a bought part is made exactly the same way as your own.

as for animals, you buy a steak in the shop, take it home, cook it and eat it. tasty.

but if someone asked you to go into a field of cows, pick one, slaughter it, butcher it etc, i know i wouldn't fancy doing it, or eating it after... same sort of thing i guess

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tegwin

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy

i think you've got it right there.

people think cars just somehow appear in the showroom, you buy it and its outside your house. and some people go as far as thinking machines make them, and they're all perfect. the thought of someone actually making a part themselves is unheard of for some, and a lot of people will think its un safe, even if a bought part is made exactly the same way as your own.

as for animals, you buy a steak in the shop, take it home, cook it and eat it. tasty.

but if someone asked you to go into a field of cows, pick one, slaughter it, butcher it etc, i know i wouldn't fancy doing it, or eating it after... same sort of thing i guess

Yup.. just like the kids at the "minifarm" that were disgusted that the farmer had to "stoke" the cow to get his milk when theirs came from a bottle... so much easier out of a bottle isnt it!!!

zetec

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
It is funny when people only trust a main dealer to fix or service their car. I can't believe the number of times I see Caterham owners insisting that Caterham service their car or they must have Caterham only parts...great if you have money falling out you ar$e .
l0rd

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, and the first word that will come out their mouth is

"Did you notify the insurance?"

and then they are

I wanna stay away of your way, you are a safety hazard

B@@@@@S

blakep82

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
mind you, there was a guy last year had that really heavily modded land rover, did it all himself, and a suspension bracket broke, went of the road and plunged into a a river or something, killing his kids, can't remember what happened to him, maybe he drowned too.

people tend to think about these type of instances.

edit:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/dec/08/gresham-land-rover-river

theres the story there, ok the accident was more to do with his driving, but it mentions the mods he made (badly) and that still gives us a bad name

[Edited on 3/6/09 by blakep82]

tegwin

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
But if some backstreet garage had done the same mod... it might still have broken!

The risk is, in financially tight times like this, is more and more people trying to do DIY work on their cars and making mistakes....

I know i make mistakes all the time, but I have seen people fit brake pads the wrong way around etc

coozer

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I visit lots of other forums as well, the DIY way is not everyone's kebab... some of them (PF) hardly do anything cause they use oem cars and don't understand how they are built, farming out mods to mod shops.

Once you know how things work the easier it becomes. Maybe there are different 'mods' depending on which side of the oem you are. So, we engineer our own cars and appreciate anyone manufacturing things, but there are others who buy a car then buy bolt on bling mods who look down there noses at us.

Better to appreciate the type of forum and post so as not to upset the non-engineering peeps.

I saw lots of locostbuilders turning there noses up at the two Corsa's cruising round Stoneleigh making a racket but I had a little chuckle to myself thinking they in the wrong place and don't have the basic adventurous to build and engineer their own cars.

I've no doubt there will be some who comment on my new Jago in much the same way...

[Edited on 3/6/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mistergrumpy

posted on 3/6/09 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Did I ever tell you that I once made my own car once? It's true. I made it all. What from? Well some steel tube from a shop on the road and then some bits off a scrap Sierra.
Pardon, I'm a what?

DarrenW

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
As some know ive been having problems with BMW tintop. As a result i joined BMWland. Having read some other problems people were having i offered a locost diy solution - suffice to say i learned my lesson!

iank

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
The advertisers have managed to persuade the population to only want 'new' stuff then throw it away and buy more new stuff.

There was an interesting bit on the radio this morning from the woman who took over charity shops and managed to get them to actually make some money. She'd had huge problems with kids insisting they wanted to buy a 'new' made by a 8 year old in Vietnam wear once and it falls apart teeshirt from some high street tat vendor rather than a designer shirt from a charity shop made from good quality cloth, cut better and made better that will last 10 years - for the same money. The idea of fixing things yourself has been trained the general population due to greedy companies and governments.

Having said that I can see the attraction of buying a caterham and getting shiny new parts and bolting them on. Makes a change from taking a dirty greasy knackered part off a donor, cleaning it, refurbishing it, painting it and then fettling the part or the chassis to get it to bolt on.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

bilbo

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I knew a guy once who refused to ever even open the bonnet of his car.
He would even take it to the main stealer to have the washer bottle filled up

Some people live in a very different world to us.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

l0rd

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
As some know ive been having problems with BMW tintop. As a result i joined BMWland. Having read some other problems people were having i offered a locost diy solution - suffice to say i learned my lesson!

Was your locost DIY solution to paint it blue and throw it in the sea?

DarrenW

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by l0rd
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW

Was your locost DIY solution to paint it blue and throw it in the sea?

It was along those lines Unfortunately some said that if it was torched first then the water would put the flames out.

bilbo

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
The advertisers have managed to persuade the population to only want 'new' stuff then throw it away and buy more new stuff.

Ooo, don't get me started on this
I can't believe the stuff, normally perfectly servicable, that people throw away these days.
Mind you, I might be too far the other way as I rarely throw anything away. I always seem to need it the day after I got rid
Even when broken, I always have a good go at trying to fix something. I've found myself welding cheap garden spades back together in the past.

---------------------------------------

Build Diary: http://bills-locost.blogspot.com/
Web Site: http://locost.atspace.com

Land Locked

posted on 3/6/09 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
But if some backstreet garage had done the same mod... it might still have broken!

The risk is, in financially tight times like this, is more and more people trying to do DIY work on their cars and making mistakes....

I know i make mistakes all the time, but I have seen people fit brake pads the wrong way around etc

I had a free holiday once because one of my fellow mechanics forgot to tighten a sump plug, Also seen guys do brake pads wrong and both were at a main dealer!

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 3/6/09 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
People without mechanical knowledge tend to be afraid of doing anything mechanical, and this is not necessarilly a bad thing because when people they start fiddling they make mistakes (if I remember correctly that land rover had different sized calipers fitted to the same axle ). Of course a lot of these people cover up their ignorance with disdain etc. Just people.
I'm sorry but what WERE those corsa's doing at stoneleigh anyways?

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

philw

posted on 3/6/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by blakep82[/

I would, it would taste amazing, when i was in OZ years ago i went wild boar hunting and the taste of that was outstanding, ive never had meet that good since

Must try harder

chrisg

posted on 3/6/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Badger_McLetcher
People without mechanical knowledge tend to be afraid of doing anything mechanical, and this is not necessarilly a bad thing because when people they start fiddling they make mistakes (if I remember correctly that land rover had different sized calipers fitted to the same axle ). Of course a lot of these people cover up their ignorance with disdain etc. Just people.
I'm sorry but what WERE those corsa's doing at stoneleigh anyways?

Getting laughed at mostly.

I know folks who will argue with you can't use the engine from one car in another.

You can't build your own car (or write a book about it)

You'll find that ignorance is unlimited.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bimbleuk

posted on 3/6/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair I was ignorant of car mechanics up till my 22nd birthday as I couldn't even drive. I needed a car for a new job and bought a Corolla GTi off my sister. I did soon get the tuning bug and relied on a small garage for a lot of advice and labour. Mostly the advice was not to buy the bolt on tuning bits and bling tat I was reading about in Max Power & Revs.

Over 10 years later and I've rebuilt my Striker front front to rear over the last two weekends all on my own. Just to trace a vibration that was really annoying me in the transmission.

Also at the same garage I used to rely on completely all those years ago have even asked my advice on a couple of occasions recently with customers cars. I also service all their computer and diagnostic equipment regularly.

02GF74

posted on 3/6/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
mind you, there was a guy last year had that really heavily modded land rover, did it all himself, and a suspension bracket broke, went of the road and plunged into a a river or something, killing his kids, can't remember what happened to him, maybe he drowned too.

people tend to think about these type of instances.

edit:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/dec/08/gresham-land-rover-river

theres the story there, ok the accident was more to do with his driving, but it mentions the mods he made (badly) and that still gives us a bad name

this one is down in land rover folklore.

it is hard to determine the truth of what was the cause of the accident just from what was reported.

without looking it up, the car had an MOT so in theory was road worthy.

the cause of the accident allegedly was a transit van towing a bunch of canoes that veered onto his side of the road - rather than risk a head on collsion, he swerved, wheels went off road, car spun round and ended on side in river.

4 children drowned.

very likely the prosecution looked for a victim and examination of the vehicle showed several faults, such as mismatching calippers ISTR. the tests were done so as to deliberately prove their point in order to prosecute - probably most landrovers if tested in that way would have failed. also witnesses popped up stating the car was driven in a dangerous manner.

what are the actual facts, other than 4 dead kiddies, and was the state of the vahicle the cause of the accident remains speculation.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.