Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Destroying our heritage???
russbost

posted on 5/2/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Destroying our heritage???

Was sent this recently, hope it's not been posted b4, but probably deserves another airing even if it has:-

Dear All,

I understand there is a very strong evidence to suggest that as a defence cut, the Govt is planning to axe the B of B Flight - the Lancaster, Spitfires and Hurricane etc.

It cost only about £3 million (0.1% of the Defence budget) but gives joy to millions of all generations around this country. Moreover it remains a fitting tribute to the sacrifices of those in the 2nd WW in both Bomber and Fighter Command. In short it is a part of our national heritage!

The petition against this can be signed on line at http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/BBMFCuts/
If you feel strongly about this, you might like to pass the website address on to one or two others

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Myke 2463

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is nothing sacred, DONE.

Mike.

britishtrident

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I am sorry but money is better spent properly equipping our guys in Afghanistan. There is no shortage of airworthy Spitfires in the UK although I know the situation is very different for Lancasters and Hurricanes.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

miikae

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Done

With the amount of money this government wastes this amount is chicken feed.

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bodger

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Done too.
philw

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is a lovely sight, taken from the roof of our camper at the Goodwood revival,

ps the sound gave me the horn.

[Edited on [1265401957R0=082828p: by philw]

Must try harder

scootz

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
I am sorry but money is better spent properly equipping our guys in Afghanistan. There is no shortage of airworthy Spitfires in the UK although I know the situation is very different for Lancasters and Hurricanes.

+1 I'm afraid!

It's Evolution Baby!

Steve G

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

+1 I'm afraid!

+2

I've got 2 cousins serving in Afghanistan and would rather see that money spent properly equipping them and their colleagues.

If the cost is only £3m a year to keep the WW2 planes flying, then stick an extra quid or two on the price of a ticket to the numerous airshows throughout the year and pay for it that way.

StevieB

posted on 5/2/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
That's 12,000 sets of body armour...

For all those who would sign the petition - are you happy to keep seeing stories about 20 year old kids being killed or coming home with no legs for the comfort of knowing a couple of WW2 planes can keep flying every now and then?

I'm a former serving soldier, and as such am very proud of our heritage. It must come second to making sure our current serving soldiers are given the best advantages possible on a difficult battle field.

whitestu

posted on 5/2/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

For all those who would sign the petition - are you happy to keep seeing stories about 20 year old kids being killed or coming home with no legs for the comfort of knowing a couple of WW2 planes can keep flying every now and then?

I'm a former serving soldier, and as such am very proud of our heritage. It must come second to making sure our current serving soldiers are given the best advantages possible on a difficult battle field.

totally agree, but it seems a shame that the government can't spend a bit less on all the wasters in this country and use that to pay for the military.

Dangle_kt

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
or just not fight a war in a mess of a country and save billions?
Benzine

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
or just not fight a war in a mess of a country and save billions?

+1

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
They don't care about our heritage.

They give the UK away to Europe and are too busy apologising for the past.

They don't care about anything but themselves, that's why I left!!

sebastiaan

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve G
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:

+1 I'm afraid!

+2

I've got 2 cousins serving in Afghanistan and would rather see that money spent properly equipping them and their colleagues.

If the cost is only £3m a year to keep the WW2 planes flying, then stick an extra quid or two on the price of a ticket to the numerous airshows throughout the year and pay for it that way.

+3

3M a year to keep the old stuff going that doesn't do anything else then look good? No way I'd like to pay for that (I'm not from the UK...).

It surprises me more and more that "you" ( a blatant generalisation, I know) are very good at looking back at how good the UK used to be and complaining at every available opportunity on how it is falling to pieces. Instead of complain, ACT.

/Rant ;-)

Confused but excited.

posted on 5/2/10 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
+3

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

tommyab

posted on 5/2/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB

This is true, however if they were to cut this would it actually have any benefit to the current forces seeing as it seems they are cutting funding to all of those as well?

They should concentrate on saving money elsewhere like all the useless things they spend it on - for example those illegal immigrant centres.

Or, if they hadn't of given back 1bilion pounds from the EU rebate - think of how many body armour sets that could have bought!

Chippy

posted on 5/2/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well having been around when those planes had work to do, and did it bloody well, (which is part of the reason you don't have to speak German now). I find your comments, (disenters), small and petty. This flight is about the only thing to remind us of the hundreds of young RAF men, and women, lost in action to protect this country. Would you complain if it was to remember the young people lost in these last and pointless wars? If our wonderful government cared anything for our guy's, there would be no shortage of money to supply the correct gear, they waste millions on R and D and then don't put the whatever into production, (bet not many remember TSR2), but there are many, many more cases just like it. Plus they all, (well most), seem only to quick to stick their fingers into the honey pot, and don't give a monkeys about the troops. Rant over. Oh! and yes I HAVE signed it. Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

tommyab

posted on 5/2/10 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Well having been around when those planes had work to do, and did it bloody well, (which is part of the reason you don't have to speak German now). I find your comments, (disenters), small and petty. This flight is about the only thing to remind us of the hundreds of young RAF men, and women, lost in action to protect this country. Would you complain if it was to remember the young people lost in these last and pointless wars? If our wonderful government cared anything for our guy's, there would be no shortage of money to supply the correct gear, they waste millions on R and D and then don't put the whatever into production, (bet not many remember TSR2), but there are many, many more cases just like it. Plus they all, (well most), seem only to quick to stick their fingers into the honey pot, and don't give a monkeys about the troops. Rant over. Oh! and yes I HAVE signed it. Ray

Agreed. It is one important way of remembering what so many others gave for us.

Ninehigh

posted on 6/2/10 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Bugger it, stick a tenner on the ticket and have the proceeds going to serving or injured soldiers. I agree with both sides we have to better equip our soldiers but we all have to have something for the enjoyment and to remind people of the past. If it weren't for things like this and Eden Camp (highly reccomended by me) the next generation would have no idea who was actually in WW2

t.j.

posted on 6/2/10 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

Hmmmm, that's not nice. The thinking of Europe is to help each other and to become a stronger "country" together.
In that case money will be saved as trade between the memberstates is free and easy.

And as the UK must import a lot off stuff from abroad it's a must you stick with Europe......

And imo those planes must be saved by people who love them, and not be payed by tax-payers

[Edited on 6/2/10 by t.j.]

Please feel free to correct my bad English, i'm still learning. Your Dutch is awfull! :-)

Canada EH!

posted on 6/2/10 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
I am a Canadian as was my Father and Stepfather.
My father is buried at Radcliff on Trent RCAF Base Langar.
My stepfathr flew Spitfires with the RAF and RCAF in Britian, Malta, France and Holland before being shot down and captured over Germany in Nov 1944.
I believe these aircraft should be kept flying.
I attend the Oshkosh Airventure every year and the number of Mustangs the Americans keep flying is astonishing.

Steve G

posted on 6/2/10 at 01:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Well having been around when those planes had work to do, and did it bloody well, (which is part of the reason you don't have to speak German now). I find your comments, (disenters), small and petty.

So its small and petty to think its actually more important to want to spend the money saving the life of a single current British soldier than some token gesture remembering a war that was 65+ years ago???

If that money is diverted into saving ONE soldiers life then its worth it in my eyes - and if you actually think otherwise then i just hope its a member of YOUR family that dies for the privilege of keeping a WW2 plane flying and not either of the two of mine that are serving currently. Maybe you wont think its so petty if its a member of your family that lays their life down!!!!!

Who needs a Spitfire to remember what the people of this country did for us?? I dont for sure - heard enough from my grandad who was at Monte Cassino to remind me of what happened

[Edited on 6/2/10 by Steve G]

posted on 6/2/10 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I go to the occasional air show, my favourite being the free one held over two days at Lowestoft.

To put things in perspective it costs less to put on than our MP's have "over claimed" on second homes.

Everyone used to be asked to chuck £1 in the bucket (this year it will be £2) and this pays for the show.

"The event has been organised by the Lowestoft Seafront Air Show charitable trust for the last five years with the help of corporate
sponsors and donations from visitors to the seafront. It will cost between £320,000 and £326,000 to put on this year's festival.

Last year's event raised £81,000, of which more than £28,000 went back to charities, and they were hoping to at least raise that amount again.

An estimated 420,000 people came on the two days last year and the event won the Tourism in Suffolk award for the Best Festival or Event in 2008."

Do the maths. I chucked a fiver in and I feel mean.

The BBMF and the Vulcan etc. need income from shows to keep in the air and it makes my blood boil to think that people can be so tight.

Afghanistan is another issue. While I fully support our troops you can't win a guerrilla war.
Look at Vietnam, Ireland, etc. The people that throw the bombs end up running the country.

All IMHO you understand.

Paul G

[Edited on 6/2/10 by 907]

morcus

posted on 6/2/10 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
I find this whole thing very intresting. I think it would be wrong to drop the Flight and not spend the money they would have on our forces (Which seems to be the plan) as its about 50p a year per person.
I think the money would be better spent on equipment and think the flight should be able to survive as a charity because I do think its important.

I think there are much better ways to redistibute government spending, and the idea of defense budget cuts whilst we're at war in two countries sickens me.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

sebastiaan

posted on 6/2/10 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t.j.
quote:
Originally posted by designer

Hmmmm, that's not nice. The thinking of Europe is to help each other and to become a stronger "country" together.
In that case money will be saved as trade between the memberstates is free and easy.

And as the UK must import a lot off stuff from abroad it's a must you stick with Europe......

And imo those planes must be saved by people who love them, and not be payed by tax-payers

[Edited on 6/2/10 by t.j.]

100% agreed.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.