Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone used Toyo R1-R's in anger yet?
gingerprince

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone used Toyo R1-R's in anger yet?

Wondered how they compared to R888's. When they first came out they were more expensive than R888's but they've now swung the other way - 195/50/15 from Camskill are about 96 quid for the 888's and 65 for the R1R's.

Ordinarily I'd be going straight for the 888's, but since I'm planning (when I can get the 13's to fit!) on running slicks on dry track days, these seem like in theory they'll be a better option for fast road + wet track day option. They will have to do at least one dry track day at Cadwell next week though assuming I can't get my 13's to fit in time (nail in Marangoni's sidewall forces immediate purchase!).

Thoughts?

A1

posted on 29/6/10 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
not sure how good the r1 rs are, but the r888s are awesome, even in the wet. I was out in the winter when it was snow/icy and didnt have any bother at all.
gingerprince

posted on 29/6/10 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I have heard the R888's are surprisingly good in the wet just not standing water.

I'm likely going to go for the tried and trusted R888 anyway , just throwing it out to see if there was any particularly positive experience from the R1-R's

turbodisplay

posted on 29/6/10 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Uniroyal rainsport 2 are cheap tyres.
I find the grip very good, on track and road.

Darrren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dazzx10r

posted on 29/6/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Well I've been scratching my head over what tyres to use for a little while now, finaly plumped for Yokohama Parada spec-2, read a couple of write ups on them and I think they will be a good compromise between track/road, hopefully
Hammerhead

posted on 29/6/10 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I've got R1-Rs on my elise. Put them on fresh for a trip to the nurburgring. I'm impressed with them, good in standing water and nice and sticky in the dry. A million miles better than T1-Rs. I haven't tried R888s though so can't compare.

All in all I like them a lot.

skippad

posted on 29/6/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ive had both on MK's
R1's good all rounder, but when pushed, bubble up and go right "off"
888's superb, like to get hot, hotter the better, loads a grip, damps ok, don't like standing water though, aquaplaning yeha!
got 4500mls on current set and still plenty tread left!

[Edited on 29/6/10 by skippad]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gingerprince

posted on 29/6/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. Went for the 888's in the end, don't want anything that I'll destroy at Cadwell! I'm guessing the R1-R's struggle then because they're a softer compound but move around too much because of more tread pattern?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.