Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RS2000 engines - Anyone Know About 'em
BigDawgV8

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
RS2000 engines - Anyone Know About 'em

Hi All,

Looking at engine options for my next project at the moment.
Zetec looks favourite but someone at work mentioned the RS2000 engine.

Anyone know anything about them?

Are they based on the Zetec bottom end? and can they be run with carbs easily? will a Type 9 bolt straight on?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

SeaBass

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Stick to the Zetec...
meany

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
to my recolection it was a further development of the Twin cam as found in Sierra's and Granada's....

as said, go with a Zetec , much easier.

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical_1/dohc_i4.aspx

[Edited on 18/8/10 by meany]

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
They are the 16V version of th sierra dohc 8v.

They have nothing in common with a zetec other than they are an engine made by ford.

There are no of the shelf tunning parts like exhaust manifolds and oem parts are very dear, just look up the price of a cam chain tensioner. They are also very tall and heavier than a zetec.

They will bolt up to a T9 or a MT75 but the flywheel is a bit chunky.

Get an early one complete and you will have an engine thats a bit differant, cheap and producing 150bhp with its own fuel injection system.

Some of the guys on the sierra forums are getting 190 bhp by adding a 2.3 ultima bottom end.

ali f27

posted on 18/8/10 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
hi marks makes 200 bhp on bodies mild cams good manifold only prob bit heavy like pinto but not to dear
deezee

posted on 18/8/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhhh the RS2000 engine. Its pretty popular to dislike them and it rapidly becomes a zetec vs conversation, rather than focusing on its benifits.

The RS2000 engine doesn't have a chunky flywheel like its DOHC sister. Infact its 1kg lighter than the flywheel off a 1.8cvh. I know as I've tried both on the engine. As for being heavier, 5kgs (or 4% more). They both have cast iron blocks and aluminium heads, not much in it.

The engine is quite tall and you'll need to shorten the sump by around 30mm in order to get it to fit. They have a built in 36-1 toothed ring and sensor making them perfect for running carbs and megajolt. They make more power than a zetec, but they'll never make big power without lot of money..... but nor will a zetec. Its just popular to dislike them.

big_wasa

posted on 18/8/10 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
^^ You learn somthing new with the every day re the flywheel i was under the impression it was the same part as the Granny/Sierra.

But it is fair to say that general parts are dearer and harder to get. And you wont go and buy a shortened sump or other 7 parts of the shelf.

I may try one for my next project with a 2.3 bottom end.

deezee

posted on 18/8/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Your absolutely right Big_Wasa, there are no engine tuning parts and its all a case of butchering other ford parts to make it fit. But I think thats Locost for you. Making a manifold to take bike carbs, or shortening a sump, isn't really that special anymore.

MikeRJ

posted on 18/8/10 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
They make more power than a zetec, but they'll never make big power without lot of money..... but nor will a zetec. Its just popular to dislike them.

One of the things people dislike is availability and cost of engine parts (and engines), and the options you have for tuning it which are more limited than the Zetec.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.