Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tin top mondeo help needed
DorsetStrider

posted on 29/10/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tin top mondeo help needed

Hiya guys.

Just had a call from my girlfriends dad. He has just changed the servo and pads on his mondeo. Having bleed the system and pumped the pedal till it's rock hard. When he turns the key the pedal goes halfway to the floor (not normally a problem) but then stays there.

I've not looked at the car yet (going over tonight) but assuming there is a problem and he's not being paranoid any tips on where to start looking? Don't want to waste time searching if I don't have to.

Oh it's a 2ltr mondeo 97 reg. Doesn't have ABS (apparently)

Who the f**K tightened this up!

snapper

posted on 29/10/10 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
If no ABS then bleed brakes with engine on.
May need to bleed all 4 from nearest to master cylinder to furthest then turn engine on, check, then try bleed with engine on.
If this does not work then you may need a pressure bleed system.
The other thing to try if all else fails is bleed nipples in the master cylinder, if you turn on the engine and the pedal goes down then the master cylinder is the problem

[Edited on 29/10/10 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

meany

posted on 29/10/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
From Haynes Manual...hope i helps.

Vacuum servo unit-Testing.

1. To test the operation of the servo unit, depress the footbrake four or five times to dissipate the vacuum,
then start the engine while keeping the footbrake depressed.
As the engine starts, there should be noticeable 'give' in the brake pedal as vacuum builds up.
Allow the engine to run for at least two minutes, and then switch off.
If the brake pedal is now depressed again, it should be possible to hear a hiss from the servo when the pedal is depressed.
After four or five applicayions, no further hissing should be heard, and the pedal should feel harder.

2. Before assuming that a problem exists in the servo unit itself,
remove and inspect the Vacuum servo unit hose and non-return valve.
Examine the non-return valve for damage and signs of deterioration.
The valve maybe tested by blowing through its connection hoses in both directions.
It should only be possible to blow from the servo end towards the inlet manifold.

DorsetStrider

posted on 30/10/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Update.

Have looked at the car and there is a definate problem. Pedal pumps up nice and hard but once the engine is on it is REALLY spongy. Apparently it's been bled twice, we are going to bleed it again so I know it's been done right. It's had a new servo, master cylinder, pads, disks and vacume hose. But with no change.

Where is the vacume hose valve? something in my mind says this could be the problem. Any other suggestions?

DorsetStrider

posted on 30/10/10 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well we have bled them again but still no joy. With the engine off the pedal pumps up fine and feels solid. With the engine on the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor with very little effort. It's almost like there is too much vacume if that makes sense?

One thing I did notice is that when you come off the pedal the pads seem to move (to my mind at least) a long way off the disks.

Any ideas people as my brain is starting to hurt.

For the record... new pads, disks, servo, master cylinder, vacume hose. System has been bled 3 times.

Grimsdale

posted on 31/10/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
i had a problem recently when i fitted new calipers - the caliper seals were sticking to the pistons and pulling them back too far.
If it's this, remove caliper, force piston out a bit, lubricate the outside of the piston with some brake fluid and push them back in.

rusty nuts

posted on 31/10/10 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Try clamping the brake flexi hoses and then checking brakes with the engine running, if it is a caliper at fault it should show it up . Have had similar problems on a couple of Vectra's and a Volvo where the problem has been the ABS unit
omega 24 v6

posted on 31/10/10 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Does it have rear discs? with handbrake operating on them?? Are the pistons screwed out (adjusted).
If the pistons are not screwed out the the seals could be pulling the piston back to far.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Ninehigh

posted on 31/10/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Mine were spongy after replacing them, the pedal would eventually go about 4/5 the way to the floor, but when moving the abs would cut in way before that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.