Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Old car broken into worth claiming on insurance?
Bluemoon

posted on 21/11/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Old car broken into worth claiming on insurance?

Our old ford fiesta 3 door (1998) 1.3 Encore (millage 105K!!) was broken into yesterday. Unfortunately they chose to do this with a cold chisel and have holed the door smashed the lock barrel (in a multistory car park of all places). The Tom-tom and a few books (Christian ones, wife is a vicar, thief might find them useful??) were taken so not to bad, probably at most 200 quid worth.

Door still closes, but obviously will not lock.. (PITA in london, where can you park an unlocked car on the street!!)

Called the police, so they know about it.

We have fully comprehensive cover, with no-claims protection, but the car is worth peanuts. So do we:

1) Report to insurance and let them deal with it (I guess we will end up with the car written off, due to expense of repaires??).

2) Just get a "new" door from a scraped car and fit (hopefully with key and barrel).

Thoughts/comments please.

Ta

Dan

[Edited on 21/11/10 by Bluemoon]

nitram38

posted on 21/11/10 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think your insurance excess along with subsequent hike in insurance (unless you have protected ncb) will outweigh any repairs. I think breakers is a good place to get a door and lock

owelly

posted on 21/11/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Leave the door knackered and leave the car unlocked. Leave nothing in it to steal. They won't need to break in next time.....
Failing that, find another door in the right colour (it's worth the hunt to get one the right colour!). Don't bother wasting tyour time with insurance unless you want your premiums to go up! Even if you have protected NCB, they still 'load' the premium!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 21/11/10 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a thought, Ford do re-inforced lock plates to go around the barrell of some cars and vans. Maybe worth giving them a call. You stick them on with a 3M backing tape and put your lock through.

Bluemoon

posted on 21/11/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Just had a thought, Ford do re-inforced lock plates to go around the barrell of some cars and vans. Maybe worth giving them a call. You stick them on with a 3M backing tape and put your lock through.

Humm Something like this:

Armaplate Lock Protection Kit for Ford Courier Van BNIB on eBay (end time 21-Dec-10 18:35:00 GMT)

mookaloid

posted on 21/11/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
if you are not going to claim then what ever you do don't let the insurance company know about it. They will load your premium next time just because you had an 'incident' whether you claimed or not.

My self I would find another door at a scrappies

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

AndyW

posted on 21/11/10 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
just a comment, protected no claims will not stop them hiking you premium next year. all it will do is keep your discount. The premium WILL increase..
thunderace

posted on 21/11/10 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
My self I would find another door at a scrappies

will cost you arond £40-£60 for a door in the same coulour as yours.

skodaman

posted on 21/11/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Like AndyW says don't involve the insurance company. Grin and bear (bodge) it.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 21/11/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Another door from the scrappies, make sure you get a key ! If they have no keys ford sell a lock kit which you assemble yourself to match your own key, no need to pay for this service, cost around £20 a few years ago for this.

[Edited on 21/11/10 by mark chandler]

Bluemoon

posted on 22/11/10 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, looks like a long search at the breakers...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.