Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mobile broadband PAYG
MK9R

posted on 29/11/10 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
mobile broadband PAYG

We are buying my grandad a new pc for xmas, he is also still on dial up and i'm sure this is the main reason he has so many problems getting online. He won't sign up for broadband, and i can't sign him up and prepay for it, so only real option (unless someone has a bright idea) is mobile broadband payg. Only problem with that is, orange are the only people with decent coverage (according to the website), and they don't do payg dongles!!!! Now if i bought and unlocked dongle, or an orange dongle, can i insert any orange 3G payg sim into it and use it, or is it a special plan/sim??

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 29/11/10 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
You can see the top 4 phone providers gsm networks here if that helps but sorry dont know the answer to your question but would think as long as the sim is data enabled and the device is unlocked I cant see it not working as the connection software for each vendor would be available, but saying that it may not support the hardware (usb dongle)

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonrotheray

posted on 29/11/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I bought the O2 dongle for my dad, and you buy so many days and MB as you want - so its not an ordinary tariff as far as I can tell.

It's been just the job, though - we weren't sure he'd use it, so didn't want an annual contract, so he just buys a month at a time.

tony-devon

posted on 29/11/10 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
just dont bother with 3

they are rubbish, supposed 2 gig connection

I kept a log of my useage, and then tallied it with the software in the dongle

one evening, 3.5 hours of surfing ebay, facebook etc

average download speed was 68kbps

HMMM yup rubbish

never ever seen over 140kbps

currently going through the motions of getting out of the contract as Im climing its not fit, due to insufficient signal

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/10 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
For me 3 were fine for speed but lousy for coverage -- effect on my usage as I only use the dongle as a fall back connection and i live 200yds from a 3 tower.

Different dongles give different data rates -- the latest WIFI router dongles are faster than the USB keys.

[Edited on 29/11/10 by britishtrident]

RazMan

posted on 29/11/10 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Does he have Sky or Cable? You can get some really good 'all in' packages for phone, tv and broadband for less than the cost of having just one of them. Free calls might sway him

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Bluemoon

posted on 29/11/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Watching with intreast as inlaws have a simular problem
Ninehigh

posted on 29/11/10 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Watch for this PAYG that's actually pay monthly... Like mine... paid for 3gig and it's going to vanish in 4 days the robbing gits..

Mr G

posted on 29/11/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Never had any trouble with 3 for coverage, speed etc down here in the sticks

Their payg works out at £5 a month for 2gb (You buy the monthly internet add-on for a phone instead of their dongle top up which is more expensive) You initially have to register the 3 sim in a 3 handset but after that it doesn't have to leave the dongle.

You really need to test the water with signal by going round with a friend who's on one of the networks with a internet capable mobile. I wouldn't trust the online coverage checkers as they are only roughly a guide.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

stevebubs

posted on 29/11/10 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Watch for this PAYG that's actually pay monthly... Like mine... paid for 3gig and it's going to vanish in 4 days the robbing gits..

Aye...that's annoying....

Our Sky Router packed in a couple of weeks back and sky wouldn't release the username/password so I could plug in my spare. Instead, they insisted on sending me a new router that would take 5 days (7 days elapsed as it was a Friday)

Went out and bought a 3 dongle. Literature said 3G for 3 months - which is great when you buy it; unfortunately, after that any top-ups are only valid for 30 days....

interestedparty

posted on 29/11/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I like the Vodafone dongle, PAYG, £15 for 1 gb (so use sparingly) but you can carry unused credit over for as long as you want. They do 3gb a month for £15 too, IIRC but you can't carry unsed credit over, plus it's a contract.

Still, it's only £35 with Igb free, so worth a punt if you're not sure about the coverage.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

JoelP

posted on 29/11/10 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a vodafone one, its £5 up front at carphone warehouse, then £15 a month payg, for 3gb. It doesnt roll over though, and i only use 1gb a month. Cant say much about coverage as i havent moved, but it has been fine at home. Sometimes its annoyingly slow, but not often. Just make sure you walk away before you stamp on it!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Ninehigh

posted on 29/11/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
This is it you pay for it for a month. Do PAYG phones still do this like they did in 1997?

l0rd

posted on 29/11/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have one. Biggest cr@p i have ever used. Will never do that to myself again.

zetec mike

posted on 30/11/10 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
I brought a vodafone dongle last christmas, £25 with 1Gb included. I use it for occasional browsing and ebay when away from home. The 1Gb was meant to expire after 3 months but is still working. Others I looked at work on a daily charge and credit expires after 28 days. Speed is fine if it connects 3G. Maplins did have them for £25 a couple of months ago.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.