Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TomTom car kit any good?
goodguydrew

posted on 29/11/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
TomTom car kit any good?

Does anyone have one of these?
I was thinking of buying one to improve my iphone gps pickup.
What's your opinion?

wilkingj

posted on 29/11/10 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Got a Tomtom One. Good bit of kit. I use the pocketgpsworld.com speed camera files, as its cheaper than tomtoms.
although I only update before going away from my normal teritory.
Not that I speed, its the ones in the towns etc, that catch you out when you are paying more attention to where u are going etc.
I find the POI (Points of Interest) most useful.

In hindsight I would have preferred the wider screen as I am an old fart and my eyesight isnt that good for small print without my reading glasses. Hence wanting a bigger screen!

Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 30/11/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I have the iphone and tom tom kit. Its the only way my gps will work inside my car, so yes get one.
The only exception is if you have a heated windscreen as I believe they block the signals? Dont think the tom tom has an external anntena socket.

Jasper

posted on 30/11/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Check the reviews online as they are quite mixed. Some reckon it didn't improve the poor signal, though I'm sure it works for most. I find my iPhone Tomtom works fine without it, don't know why they would be different ....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

wilkingj

posted on 30/11/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have a heated front screen (Ford Mundaneo)
I run 3 GPS's in the front screen (one in each top corner, and the tomtom bottom right), and the tomtom works fine. Just a little slow in locking up.
One of the others loses lock when in narrow streets with at least 3 floors of buildings either side.

For those that want to know why I run 3 GPS, its 1 x Tomtom, 1 X analogue Amateur Position Reporting System, and 1 x Digital APRS)
Yep.. maybe a bit on the geeky side
Not a major problem, but some screens have an open section so GPS's work better.

Hope this helps.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 1/12/10 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I still think TomTom is the best satnav standalone but don't have it on my iphone due cost. I have co-pilot on iphone which is considerably cheaper but I don't like it so much - maybe I'm less used to it. It works well without any in-car kit, ie good signal etc. So not sure why TomTom needs the kit for signal boosting so much.

Incidentally, there is a free turn-by-turn satnav app: NavFree

Not sure about it yet, it seems OK if you follow the route but is less good if you go off route - it took a long time telling me to turn round, until it realised going straight on was better.

goodguydrew

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feed back.
I found i was past the junction before the iphone tomtom caught up.
I have bought a tomtom car kit for the iphone of ebay.
I looked at some reviews which seems to say the improvements are more noticable on the 3G and less so on the 3GS.
I'll let you know the results.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.