Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building own chassis
chris666

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Building own chassis

Would a chassis that you built yourself need an sva or a diffrent test?Also how would a tester check the quality or the welding?Also what registration could the car get?

Thanks

Chris

big_wasa

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
iva same as any kit. They have seen lots of cars and if it looks ok it usually is. They did coment on a mates saying some was a bit ify but there was plenty of it lol.

Reg would be a Q or age related I dont know if you could get a new reg without a reciept but if your building your own chassis your not going to be the sort of person that just buys everything new of the shelf and bolt it together.

I made my own chassis. The only down side is, the resale value tends to be less than a kit built car of the same spec.

chris666

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
If i was going for a Q would the emissions be tested in iva ?Because i think in an mot its visual.

Thanks

Chris

big_wasa

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
even on a Q emisions will be bassed on age of the engine, along with the need for a cat.
chris666

posted on 31/12/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for help.

Chris

panichat

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Go on...

build your own....
Buying one is just cheating!

Dave

big_wasa

posted on 31/12/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yep there is a lot of pain and pleasure in making your own chassis.

But the book lies doing the chassis is 5% of the build not 50% as per ron

I cut all the tubes and tacked them together in one weekend.

richard

posted on 31/12/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
we managed to get an age related registratin as we used enough parts from the doner.
But it is true that it is far lass than 50 per cent of the whole job and we continued to add to it right up to the end of the rough build.
I did say i would never do it that way again, but now not so sure.
Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
marcjagman

posted on 31/12/10 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Built my own chassis, a pain but gratifying too. A good table is a must, go for 18mm or thicker for your build table top.
Valtra

posted on 2/1/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with all the above the more work you put in yourself the more satisfaction (plus frustration, time,blood sweat and heartache ) you will get out of it . I would guess that 90% of self built chassis car owners would never sell "their baby" anyway so value not an issue . those that "build" a Westie or Caterham in a weekend don't have the same bond , I't's all relative!

Welding is not rocket science but if you are not confident just tack it all yourself then get a pro to zip it up, but i would think by the time you've tacked it all you would have the hang of it . If using mig it's all about preparation clean metal and a good "crackle" will nearly always be a good weld.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.