Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis problem
whitstella

posted on 23/1/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
chassis problem

hi i was after some info from all you locost builders. i have welded my chassis and it has moved a little due to the welding. there is a 5mm gap under the frame near the transmission tunnel. will i counter any problem if i carry on with the build??

cheers steve

interestedparty

posted on 23/1/11 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
166 views and no replies? I'd better give it a go then-

The most important bit is the 4 corners, are they level with each other? If they are, then you will probably be OK. If they are not, you will probably be OK anyway, depending on what use you will put it to, if it's a racer you will want it bette than that, but there is a good bit of adjustment available, and I expect there are plenty of 7s out there with some distortion that aren't falling off the road.

If you are concerned then you are going to have to look at rectifying the problem, have you had a look to see if there is anything you could cut out and maybe replace with a longer piece so as to force it back level?

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

richard

posted on 23/1/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
is it just by the tunnel ( centre of body width ) or outside edge of chassis?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 23/1/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Its it an even/balanced 5mm, ie is the chassis still symetrical?
blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
if the tunnel is the only bit raised a bit, then i shouldn't worry.
does the rest of the chassis rest on a flat board as it should? any photos of the problem area?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

whitstella

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
chassis

hi thnks for the help. its the tranmission tunnel that has moved down and the chassis rocks on it. if i put it on some box section its ok front to back. it just rocks on the transmission tunnel.

cheers steve

blakep82

posted on 23/1/11 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
i shouldn't worry too much, the most important parts are your suspension mounting points really. if something isn't quite straight in the tunnel, but fine everywhere else, it shouldn't be a problem

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.