Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alignment of engine
Andy_B

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Alignment of engine

Anbody got any tips or tricks to get the engine aligned properly...been using spirit levels on the cam housing for horizontal and block for vertical ...would this be ok or is there a better/easier/more accurate way ? DOHC twinky !!
designer

posted on 15/2/11 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
The top of the cylinder bloke is the usual referance when leveling an engine, and the centreline of the engine must be parallel to the centrline of the car.

Also, it is acceptably for an engine to lean back a maximum of 4 degrees.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andy_B

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Right thanks so i am on the right lines then...cheers
daviep

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
The top of the cylinder bloke is the usual referance when leveling an engine, and the centreline of the engine must be parallel to the centrline of the car.

Also, it is acceptably for an engine to lean back a maximum of 4 degrees.

Can you explain the origin of these "rules" please, are they specific to this engine or to all engines?

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

hillbillyracer

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming this a RWD application the big thing is the propshaft joint angles & whether you've a live axle or a diff fixed to the chassis will influence this too. I've tried to find a link to a good description but not found one in a hurry, the basics are that the flanges to which the prop bolts either end are parallel to each other, this means prop joint angles at the front & rear should be the opposite of each other. You'll get a vibration if both the UJ angles bend the same way.

I'm sure someone on here will decribe it better, mabye get as pic of it which will show it better.

As for the engine itself I dont think the angle which the engine sits at is too important beyond that it doesnt get oil drain down/pickup problems & the float chamber of the carbs needs to be at the right angle if it's not injected.

The 2nd pic down on the left on this page shows it:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/driveline/

This applies whether it's veiwed from the side or from above/below. I dont think that's it's critical the flanges are perfectly parllel but the angles need to go the opposite way so it cancels vibration out.

paulf

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
If it looks level by eye then it will be fine, if it was that critical you would not be able to drive on anything but a level road.
Paul.

Andy_B

posted on 15/2/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I think i read somewhere about not having the gearbox and diff flanges aligned exactly aas this causses "brinning" i think ...basically causes premature UJ failure...think i will string a line down the chassis ...get the frame plum then eyeball the engine...see how that looks...
rick q

posted on 15/2/11 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, lots of clubbies have the engine offset to one side to give more footroom on the "important" side.

Mine certainly is [see below]. This also means the gearbox can't be line with the diff [i.e. flanges can't be parallel]. To make it "worse" in mine the diff is bolted to the chassis [deDion] which means the universal joints in the propshaft are always going through the same torture.

Mines been on the road since 1995 without any problems!!!

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
engine leveling was more for the carb float chamber, even then it made little difference. The roads are hardly level anyway...

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 16/2/11 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Mines also offset a small amout to allow the oil filter to miss the steering, 10,000 miles later and no issues or vibration.
mrwibble

posted on 16/2/11 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
there was a good thread on here about prop and diff flanges a while back.
Andy_B

posted on 16/2/11 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rick q
For what it's worth, lots of clubbies have the engine offset to one side to give more footroom on the "important" side.

Mine certainly is [see below]. This also means the gearbox can't be line with the diff [i.e. flanges can't be parallel]. To make it "worse" in mine the diff is bolted to the chassis [deDion] which means the universal joints in the propshaft are always going through the same torture.

Mines been on the road since 1995 without any problems!!!

That is a stunning looking car !! you may have made my mind up on the red colour scheme...but with black wings....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.