Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HiSpec brakes
Matthew_1

posted on 11/7/04 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
HiSpec brakes

Hi, I was considering HiSpec calipers and disks, however they dont seem to be too good to their customers

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~richw426/brakes/brakes.htm

Anyone here dealt with them ?

Hellfire

posted on 11/7/04 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just read the page of chaos... I'm really surprised that a company such as HiSpec allow this to happen. I assumed (probably wrongly) that such a 'nice' product would be well serviced afterwards - obviously this tale is only negative. Hopefully there will be customers who are happy with their products and hopefully these postings will be added to the website in question. If HiSpec need to retaliate they should also be given the opportunity to... if they prefer - to give some degree of fairness. It's all well and good posting negative email as long as it's fair. However, I would certainly think (probably) more than twice after reading that bad publicity.

If it's all true, I can't see HiSpec being in business for very much longer...

Jon Ison

posted on 11/7/04 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
mmmmm, no Hi spec for me either.......

loafersmate

posted on 12/7/04 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
Willwoods for me too then!
zetec

posted on 12/7/04 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Good post, I was thinking of going this route not now.
ned

posted on 12/7/04 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I heard some sorry tales a few month's ago about delivery times and bad fitment, none as bad as those..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MonkeyHunter

posted on 12/7/04 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I was considering Hi spec, glad i have read that. I think i will go elsewhere now...
Jasper

posted on 12/7/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Rally Design were very helpful with the Willwoods, would defo recommend them.
chriscook

posted on 12/7/04 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted to use wilwoods on my sierra front uprights but couldn't find a way of doing it other than getting custom discs made! So I have gone for the Hi-Spec option. However, I am getting them through Martin Bell at the Kit Car Workshop (www.kitcarworkshop.co.uk). Martin is pretty honest about them and is well known amongst the Sylva (Striker, Fury, Phoenix, Mojo etc) community. I think they are used by most of the RBG race cars and by Martin Bell himself.

I'm not sure how long they will take to arrive but i've got plenty of other things to be getting on with in the mean time.
I'll let you know how I get on.....

mackie

posted on 12/7/04 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
There are always the outlaw m16 direct replacements. They are billet ali and have 4 pots
Wingnut
Junior Builder

Posts 51
Registered 21/6/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: mid engined spaceframed road legal racecar

posted on 13/7/04 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hhhmmmmm Hi Spec.

I placed an order (£1200+) & was quoted 4-6 weeks delivery.

I've waited 18 weeks. I've phoned & faxed them more times than I can remember & each time get a load of old tripe about "the machinist is on holiday" or "we're waiting for another supplier".

FOUR times they've told me "we'll despatch the kit this week".....

or they say "we'll phone you back today" & never do.

To place the order I drove a 400 mile round trip for them to take measurments from my hubs (they're a bit special).

So that was a waste of my time & money then, & I've also waisted 18 weeks waiting for parts that will never come.

Such a shame, as their product looks really good & the manager/owner seemed very knowledgable.

Rant over...

kingr

posted on 13/7/04 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone who has these on his road car and says they are very good, but he only got them because he works for a magazine. He'd ordered a set before he was a journo and never got them, when he ordered them again (while making it clear he worked for a motoring magazine) he got them next day! So there's your answer - if you want hi-spec brakes, go get a job for a car mag!

Kingr

PAUL FISHER

posted on 13/7/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
HI SPEC BRAKES

I also had problems with HI SPEC , but I at the time put it down to my job being a one off special,now I no better .was told waiting time was 4 weeks , they took 11 weeks, they never return my calls,even after they had sent the wrong parts twice,It just went on and on.
But the product is top quality,the calipers are only 800 grams each!,and best of all they look nice (see picture)

subk2002

posted on 13/7/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i aslo had problems with them i only orderd rear discs and pads allround waited 4 weeks for them. and thay never answer there phone
chriscook

posted on 3/8/04 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Well I got my HiSpec brakes yesterday - i collected them from Martin Bell at a track day at Bruntingthorpe. I think I've waited about 4 weeks for them since I confirmed my order with Martin - i've not been in any great hurry for them. He's had the calipers for a while but was just waiting for the discs. They seem fine and are now on the car looking very shiny If I was being picky i'd say that there were a couple of bits of swarf in the threads on the adaptor brackets, but that was easily sorted with a handy slotted screw I have in my toolbox.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.