Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Intermittant ignition failure
dan8400

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Intermittant ignition failure

Morning all,

Recently I've been enjoying the sun in the Tiger. It has developed a problem. Seems to loose ignition. Sometimes under acceleration/overtaking sometimes when just tootling round town.

I can't put my finger on the problem. I loose all power (as if if I've turned the key off or something) If I flick the ignition key off then on the exhaust "pops" and i'm back to full power.

I'm running 1.8 zetec on bike carbs and megajolt.

Don't think it's a dodgy ignition barrel (sierra) but I could be wrong. Key isn't loose or anything. Also, sometimes loose the rev-counter (drops to zero) when driving then it comes back on sometimes it goes then I loose power/ignition

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 11/4/11 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

r1_pete

posted on 11/4/11 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Is the rev counter powered from the MJ? if so it sounds as though you have loose connections or dry joints in the MJ or its connections, I would also check the ignition switch connections are clean and tight.

It could be the switching off / on produces a spike which overcomes the poor connection.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RoadkillUK

posted on 11/4/11 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
This is interesting Dan, I have the same problem, it's not as bad as it used to be, it used to cut out on roundabouts (as well as randomly). We changed the ignition barrel and it's much better, only does it now very infrequently and usually when cold.

I tested my theory by bypassing the ignition barrel by using 2 peices of wire, one for perm ignition and touching (like in the films ) for the starter.

HTH

I'll keep an eye on this thread, see what happens.

Edited to say that we have the same setup, 1.8 Zetec, bike carbs and MJ.

[Edited on 11/4/11 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 11/4/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is the rev counter powered from the Megajolt? Or completely separate?

Might be worth checking the proximity of the Crank Position sencor and the strength of it's mounting bracket, if it vibrates at certain RPM's or conditions it could be loosing the signal. If it was a fault with the megajolt it would revert to limp home mode if it's still using the EDIS module.

woolly

posted on 11/4/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
had similar twice now with MJ. but on a pinto

1st one was the wire breaking as it goes in to the housing of the crank sensor.
found by gently moving the wire whilst ticking over, then it would stutter or stop.

2nd turned out to be the distance of the sensor to the trigger wheel was to far away.
this was harder as it only happened at 2100 revs either side ok.
both cases just as if you had turned the key off and on. and the rev counter going to zero or fluctuating badly.

dan8400

posted on 11/4/11 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
The rev counter is powered from the MJ directly. Haven't sat down and checked anything yet. Thought I would see if anyone has had the same trouble first

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

dan8400

posted on 11/4/11 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Using EDIS module with Megajolt. Just to clarify

Also the crank sensor mounting is part of the engine block casting so hopefully that hasn't moved lol.

Thanks
Dan

[Edited on 11/4/11 by dan8400]

Hey - That's Journey!!!

ditchlewis

posted on 11/4/11 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I may be a long way off the track but had a similar problem on friday, it turned out to be the fuel pump.

are you running an mechanical or electrical fuel pump? once home i found the fault to be loose connection on the power supply to the pump, the engine would die and stop. after cranking over a few times it would run again... well untill it stopped altogether on the busy duel carrageway.

it,s just a thought but it might help.

regards

ditch

RoadkillUK

posted on 11/4/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If Dan's issue is the same as mine, the ignition needs to be switched off and then back on again. It won't start again without.

I've got it down to a fine art, ingition off - on, lift clutch, vroom vroom

Again, same setup as Dan, Edis and original sensor, original hole.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

dan8400

posted on 12/4/11 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have an electric fuel pump. It keeps going all the time when stopped or started (obviously with the key on)

Sounds the same as your problem RoadkillUK

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

MkIndy7

posted on 12/4/11 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I only ever had something similar happen once with the Megajolt and that was after a long haul up the M6, just coasted over to the Hard shoulder switched it off and back on again for it never to happen again (can't rememeber if it would refuse to restart without switching off and back on presume I'd have tried bumping it off while still coasting).
Never did find anything wrong with it, just presumed maybe a stone had jumped up between the sencor and the trigger wheel or something really freak.

Could underbonnet Temps be playing any part? The EDIS is mounted to a solid metal to displace any heat from what I remember, have you done anything similar? Or is there plenty of airflow over it.

dan8400

posted on 12/4/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
The EDIS is mounted flat on to aluminuim surface but is under the dash. Would turning it on/off kick it back into life if it's already hot? And does it get hot?

Thanks
Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

gdp66

posted on 12/4/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
had a similar issue when first on the road.
I think it was due to earthing, so put an extra earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.