Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade engine oil cooler
loafersmate

posted on 21/7/04 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Blade engine oil cooler

Any-one know what size cooler to go for from MOCAL?? was thinking about 115mm wide by 7 row?? also is the SP5 takeoff plate ok for the blade engine (it says suitable for 4 cyl honda).

Ben

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/7/04 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Speak to Think Automotive as they've supplied lots of these kits for BECs so should be able to confirm the sizes and parts required etc.

Chris

titch

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Is a cooler required then,is the factory jobby not up to the job.Going to use mine for track days as well as road,perhaps i need to fit a cooler aswell!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Suck it and see first is my advice, but leave space in your build just in case you needs one.
It seems that some blade engines run hotter oil than others. The first two engines I had in mine, I couldnt get the oil above 100c even with 25 minutes hard track use on hot days, yet my latest engine seems to run hotter and can get up to 110c in 10-15 minutes on some circuits.

Chris

loafersmate

posted on 21/7/04 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen mine up to 120 deg C! Assuming the guage can be belived.

Ben

ChrisGamlin

posted on 21/7/04 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts is your gauge? Mine is in the sump, and has been as high as 115c when blatting round Anglesey but I think that was partly because the cooling system wasnt 100% at that time so was running hotter generally, as I havent seen it above 110c since (using an SPA digital gauge)

Jasper

posted on 21/7/04 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mine sits at 103deg on the motorway, and can get up to 120deg on the track. From what I've heard this is absolutley fine.
loafersmate

posted on 22/7/04 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
My sender is in the sump too(smiths telemetrix), saw 120 at Donnington last year, on motorway this will sit just over 100 mark as with Jasper. Just fancied getting about 10 degC out of these temps.

Ben

Jasper

posted on 22/7/04 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth checking with Honda what the good operating temps are, you don't want it lower than it should be.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/7/04 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Some of the RGB guys report up near 150c which is a little excessive! From what Ive read, up to 120-130c is OK, although Id like to err on the side of caution because if its 110-120c in the sump then its likely to be 10C+ more when its actually between the bearings doing some work, and oil can start to break down if it gets much hotter than that.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.