Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade Expansion Tank
ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/8/04 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Blade Expansion Tank

What do others use as a blade expansion tank?
Ive got a fabricated ally tank at the moment with 2 small feeds, one going into the bottom hose, and the other into a Y piece that feeds into the top of the rad and also the head above the stat, but its mounted on the engine cradle and the vibrations keep cracking it after a while so Ive decided to go for a plastic one instead.

What I need is a bottle that has two 8mm inlets coming from it, plus a sealing (non pressure release) cap. From doing a search it would seem that some use an Astra bottle like this

Image deleted by owner

However, my expansion bottle (same layout as the ST ones) has the two feeds below the water line at the bottom of the bottle, whereas this one has one at the top, so Im not sure it would be suitable? I guess the feed that comes off the top of the rad / stat is only a return feed anyway so could be above the water line as in the pic above.

Chris

[Edited on 10/8/04 by ChrisGamlin]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 10/8/04 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you isolate the tank with some bobins. Cost pennies! Just an idea
locoboy

posted on 10/8/04 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
or move it

I assume it is the joint between the outlet and the tank that keeps breaking?

can you or someone not turn up an ally sleve to go over it and get it welded onto the tank to give it a bit more wall thickness - just an idea which will be cheap and allows you to keep the original tank and in the same position.

If its breaking somewhere else then im buggerd for ideas

ATB
Locoboy

loafersmate

posted on 10/8/04 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using a veedub jobbie (sphere shaped) but it has a pressure cap so may not be of use to you?? Has 15mm ish connection on the bottom which I've tee'd into the bottom hose and a 8mm one at the top which the thermostat bleed goes into..........works fine.

Cheers

Ben

ChrisGamlin

posted on 10/8/04 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its actually cracking where the mounts are welded to the body of the tank. Its the second tank Ive had on the car, the first was the actual ST square tank but that cracked along a folded edge.
This second one is a design thats been used on lots of other race cars before without a problem, but even with it mounted on rubber its still cracked again after being re-welded and dye pen'd to ensure no cracks, so for a cheap and easy solution I thought Id just replace it with a plastic one. The problem is that its sods law that things like this crack at the start of a trackday meaning you're faffing around with Araldite etc in an attempt to seal it, and / or lose a portion of the day, so Id rather sacrifice a bit of bling and go for a manky plastic one if its gonna guarantee reliability.

Chris

Hellfire

posted on 10/8/04 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ours is from a Rover 4** series... only monted on one side and I think has two inlets/outlets not sure to size tho' Chris... have a look at our pics... may help?

Jon Ison

posted on 11/8/04 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, thats the tank i used on the isonblade, cav/astra, fits fine, got latest nissan micra on this one, explanation, it was FOC, there allways the best ones.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.