Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dodgy gauge reading - Oil temp. Thoughts please.
bi22le

posted on 30/9/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dodgy gauge reading - Oil temp. Thoughts please.

The lava hot oil temps saga boils on. . .

Previously. . Did a track day on a hot dat @ Langdow and the oil temp was bonkers hot. 140deg with water staying below 100deg. It had been slowly creeping up and up over other track days but put it done to me spanking the car more and more as it getting better set up and im getting more confident.

So, fitted a small oil cooler and did another baking hot day at Rockingham (I have been lucky with the weather this year). It made NO difference. Oil temps rocket to 150, water struggles to stay below 100deg.

So, I fitted a 19 row 235mm monster oil rad and did another track day at Snetterton yesterday. Made a little difference but still getting 140deg far too easily. I also fitted a Rally Designs ali water rad and now water sits perfect at 80deg.

What I dont get is:

1) How can I get such a big differential between oil and water temps. Yeterday I was 80deg water, 140+deg oil?
2) How can my oil be getting so hot with such a massive rad?
3) When I stop the oil temps seems to drop off pretty quickly (30+deg in 5mins), if its hot it will stay hot for a while.
3) 150deg oil is mega hot and my engine should be showing signs of wear or at least hear a rattle. Now signs at all.

Sensor is on a sandwich plate at the filter \ oil take off. Racetech or Smiths gauge. Air flow is fine, loads of ducting.

My car is kept out side 24 \ 7, could my gauge be wonkey?

Discuss!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

INDY BIRD

posted on 30/9/14 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a gauge fault do you have air cN you get your hands on a I fared heat detector with his you could check all temps etc incl tyres and get a reality of what's going on ?

Hope you get it sorted

Sean

mcerd1

posted on 30/9/14 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
gauges can always be wrong - even when they are brand new !

the gauge could be dead but so could the sender or both
the sender might not match the gauge
the gauge might not have been correctly calibrated from new

one easy way to test the gauge is to remove the sender from the sandwich plate and place it in a liquid of known temp and see what the gauge says
boiling water at sea level is 100°C - so that should give you a pretty good reference temperature

-

britishtrident

posted on 30/9/14 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I can't find a previous thread but the first thing to do is a sanity check on the gauge.
Loads of digital thermometers on ebay but most only go up to 70 or 80c
I use a cheap IR one but a mate uses a digital food probe that he bought from Sainsburys.

You could also use a pipe thermometer that has a spring that you could hook round the oil filter they go up to 120c or so which should be enough to know if you can trust the gauge..

[Edited on 30/9/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bi22le

posted on 30/9/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Both very good points.

Sean, Im not sure I know exactly what your talking about. Are you thinking of a IR temp gun? If so I do have one of these and was thinking of giving it a go.

It may also be wrong but I can test it easier then testing the sensor \ gauge. You would of though gauges just work or not but following a little searching it seems they can do all sorts of stuff.

I wanting to go to a Digidash this winter and this is one of the reasons.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 30/9/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
left field suggestion - oil pump? if you aren't getting much flow, perhaps the oil is getting very hot from lack of circulation?

EDIT: presume you're getting good pressure so thats probably a daft suggestion.....

[Edited on 30/9/14 by Norfolkluegojnr]

johnemms

posted on 30/9/14 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I had mine on the oil sandwich plate which always came up hot quite quickly.. My thoughts were it was picking up extra heat from the engine block..
Now sensor located is on the oil sump pan - it takes quite a while for sump temp to register or show anywhere near hot..
So do you take a reading from the block?
Or take a reading from the oil in the sump?

[Edited on 30/9/14 by johnemms]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

INDY BIRD

posted on 30/9/14 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yep a ir gun I cN get my hands on one if required as my friend has one to borrow etc cheers Sean
bi22le

posted on 30/9/14 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
I get very good oil pressure so not pump or ware concerns.

unless im getting heat soak from the exhaust I doubt the block is getting hotter than the oil.

correct me if anyone knows better

MikeRJ

posted on 30/9/14 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

How good? Excessive oil pressure will put more heat into the oil.

bi22le

posted on 30/9/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

How good? Excessive oil pressure will put more heat into the oil.

4 bar. Assuming that gauge is working properly. . . .

luke2152

posted on 30/9/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Check your wiring connectors as bad connectors could change the resistance of the whole circuit and give incorrect reading
rgrs

posted on 1/10/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Whip out the sender and stick it in boiling water, you will then prove the sender, wiring,programming etc all in one hit.

Roger

rodgling

posted on 1/10/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rgrs
Whip out the sender and stick it in boiling water, you will then prove the sender, wiring,programming etc all in one hit.

Roger

Agreed, this will tell you 100% if it's a real problem or a sender/display problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.