Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto engine
generaldogsbody

posted on 22/4/15 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
pinto engine

I am putting a 2.0l pinto engine together, i have a 205 block,1600 ported head with an fr32 cam,4into1 exhaust,and twin webber 55s side draft carbs and manifold and an electronic dizzy what is set for fast road race.Will the carbs be to mutch,while using std pistons and rods.Am not going to be raceing or anything,i just like knowing theres a bit of power if i need it.Will this set up be ok,also gonna build a test stand to run it before i put it in my car.Thanks all.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 23/4/15 at 03:00 AM Reply With Quote
Single cylinder, all out racing main Venturi selecting chart of the Weber manual calls for main Venturi sizes of 37 mm, 47 mm and 53 mm for 6000, 8000 and 10000 RPM respectively.
Also on the conversion kit chart the Capri/Pinto 2000 class for either a single 45 DCOE 1.3 or Twin 40 DCOE 2.
If you already have them, use them.
Just remember that in carbs bigger is better only to a point where drive ability suffers.
Some driveability may be regained using smaller venturis but this in turn negates the use/need of big carbs.
Last but not least, I had a 1835 cc with a single 44 IDE downdraft and was mental.
I never saw the need for more...
HTH
Angel Acevedo

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 23/4/15 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
Most fast road Pintos only need 45's
Most race Pintos run 48's
You'll need to check compression ratio as 1600 head has 38cc chambers (2.0L has 48cc) and without opening out the chambers will give 12 to 1 compression ration, this requires forged pistons and at least 100 octane fuel

The 55,s are rare and could net you a tidy sum for other more appropriate modifications.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

generaldogsbody

posted on 23/4/15 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
twin webber 55s

The twin webber 55s with manifold are the only ones av got,i won them on fleabay cost me £400 pictures of our lady.You know how it is,you see, you want.But now av done a bit of reading,the best place for them is back on the bay.Thanks for your replies.ps the 1600 head has been ported.

[Edited on 23/4/15 by generaldogsbody]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 23/4/15 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by generaldogsbody
The twin webber 55s with manifold are the only ones av got,i won them on fleabay cost me £400 pictures of our lady.You know how it is,you see, you want.But now av done a bit of reading,the best place for them is back on the bay.Thanks for your replies.ps the 1600 head has been ported.

[Edited on 23/4/15 by generaldogsbody]

Been there, done that...
You'll be glad you did.
As progression and acceleration are more important than flat out power on a street car.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 23/4/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
.ps the 1600 head has been ported

The trouble is that there is ported and 'ported'

Do you know what was done and who did it?

-

generaldogsbody

posted on 23/4/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
.ps the 1600 head has been ported

The trouble is that there is ported and 'ported'

Do you know what was done and who did it?
NO,i bought it with a 205 block and a few bits,the head has a a new fr32 cam on it.Just got to put it together.

mcerd1

posted on 23/4/15 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
In that case I'd be very careful with it and check what work has been done, what chamber size you got and has it been done well enough to give you any gains or will it just make it worse ( easy done on a pinto)

As snapper said you could end up with a very high compression ratio which will limit you to using very expensive fuel and or octane boosters, you need to measure the volume of the combustion chambers to see what you'll get.

A common mistake folk make is to enlarge the whole port when its really too big to start with!
Badly setup valve train geometry can even give you less valve lift than the cam should, this can be caused by large valves with stems that are the wrong length.

You really want to get hold of the Dave vizard and or des hammill books for this engine as they go into alot of detail on good port shapes for the pinto

Also have you considered bike carbs or distributorless ignition?
Bike carbs are a cheap and very effective alternative to webers
and a modern ignition system can help you squeeze the best out of it.

-

generaldogsbody

posted on 23/4/15 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
In that case I'd be very careful with it and check what work has been done, what chamber size you got and has it been done well enough to give you any gains or will it just make it worse ( easy done on a pinto)

As snapper said you could end up with a very high compression ratio which will limit you to using very expensive fuel and or octane boosters, you need to measure the volume of the combustion chambers to see what you'll get.

A common mistake folk make is to enlarge the whole port when its really too big to start with!
Badly setup valve train geometry can even give you less valve lift than the cam should, this can be caused by large valves with stems that are the wrong length.

You really want to get hold of the Dave vizard and or des hammill books for this engine as they go into alot of detail on good port shapes for the pinto

Also have you considered bike carbs or distributorless ignition?
Bike carbs are a cheap and very effective alternative to webers
and a modern ignition system can help you squeeze the best out of it.
Thats give me something to think about,i might just put the fr32 cam on a 2.0l unleaded head i have and put that on my 205 block.i have a webber carb off a capri,with the jets to match the cam.With a 4-1 exhaust and electronic ign,that will be ok will it.

mcerd1

posted on 23/4/15 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
It would be a safe bet at least, but how much you can squeeze out of it will depend on which carb it is... you could be looking at as little as 110 bhp....

As much as i love the pinto, you could do better than that with a stock 1.8 zetec on carbs

I'm not saying that your 1.6 head is no good, but you really need to do the research first to avoid nasty and expensive problems later on

[Edited on 23/4/2015 by mcerd1]

-

generaldogsbody

posted on 23/4/15 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
It would be a safe bet at least, but how much you can squeeze out of it will depend on which carb it is... you could be looking at as little as 110 bhp....

As much as i love the pinto, you could do better than that with a stock 1.8 zetec on carbs

I'm not saying that your 1.6 head is no good, but you really need to do the research first to avoid nasty and expensive problems later on

[Edited on 23/4/2015 by mcerd1]
I have a sierra with a pinto engine std block in it,i have a spare engine with a 205 block,and enough bits to put another together.I just haven't got the cash to spend on another engine.Have been doing the 205 block up,cleaning and painting it, then gonna put that in my car and sell the other pinto stuff.Gotta do it on a budget.Thinking about bike carbs now.

mcerd1

posted on 23/4/15 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hows your alloy welding?

fastdan on here sells DIY manifold kits for bike carbs (as well as pre made ones)
it saves you quite alot of ££ if you can weld it up yourself...

-

generaldogsbody

posted on 23/4/15 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hows your alloy welding?

fastdan on here sells DIY manifold kits for bike carbs (as well as pre made ones)
it saves you quite alot of ££ if you can weld it up yourself...
Never welded alloy,brother can so keeping that info in mind.Cheers.

snapper

posted on 23/4/15 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
Go for an injection head with thin gasket and you'll be around 130bhp
Check the 1600 head before selling it, it may be ok if done properly with chambers opened out, your looking for a chamber of 42cc and a gasket thickness to give 10.5 to 1
Pinto pistons are known to get a bit marginal over 10.5 to 1 due to heavy rings and deep ring land slots
Rods are 6800 to 7200 but I visit 7500 here and there

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

generaldogsbody

posted on 23/4/15 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Great info.Thanks all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.