Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on garage floor
J-16

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Advice on garage floor

I've recently bought a new toy - a two post car lift for my garage.

Before I fit it I'd like to level the floor and repair the worn concrete.

The floor is around 12" thick but made from a couple of separate pours with the top layer very rough and starting to break up in places. There is also a slope of around 2-3" across the width.

Can anyone recommend a suitable fix? I'm thinking of a self levelling screed but obviously need something suitable for the lift to stand on and capable of being laid deep enough to level out the slope.

Would prefer not to break up the current floor and re-concrete if possible.

Cheers,

James

r1_pete

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
If its breaking up I think you're on dodgy ground fitting a lift on it.

To be safe and future proof I think you know the answer, take it up and start again, imagine the mayhem, not to mention potential for serious injury if the lift failed due to the floor breaking up....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
J-16

posted on 2/6/15 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
True, but I should have said, its only a very thin layer on top which is breaking up. Someone has tried to repair the floor a bit in the past and this layer is only 3/4" thick in places where it's been feathered out. This was always destined to break up but the concrete underneath is solid.

I'm planning on using much longer bolts than standard to ensure I'm definitely anchored into good concrete.

hkp57

posted on 2/6/15 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
no real short cuts if you want to have a lasting finish.

Scabble the area where your lift posts will sit down to clean solid concrete.

use Steel packers to create a level load bearing surface for the post to sit on.

Position the posts and then drill in your anchors.

Create a form (mould) around your post base plate about 2" wider all the way round.
Fill the form with 5 star non-shrink grout.

For the rest of the floor the hard work starts, scabble the entire floor to remove all traces of loose floors and then clean down with an air line.

Create a edge at the final height you want the floor to be similar to the form around the base.

Then fill the entire area upto the level you want with "Self Leveling Epoxy Grout"

Will last for years if applied right, if the concrete underneath is damp or dirty it will not stick though.

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.