Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Belt and Braces - no more lost bonnet !
givemethebighammer

posted on 1/7/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Belt and Braces - no more lost bonnet !

Bonnet is now secure

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=27872

Got these catches from the car builder solutions people. They have a spring clip to lock them, however I also bought some r clips from my local fastener supplier just to be sure .

With a bit of fettling they also fitted perfectly over the original mounting holes so no damage to make good.

On another note I had fitted the original catches with some "cherry" type rivets Mix sent me. They were a real pig to drill out, he wasn't wrong when he said they'd last forever !

Anyway I now have two pairs of rubber SVA compliant catches first £6 gets them (inc postage). Not damaged, so if you want some cheap catches for the SVA drop me a U2U. Rescued attachment secure.JPG
Rescued attachment secure.JPG

nick205

posted on 1/7/05 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
ypou have U2U!

Sorry - ignore that, I shouldn't drink and locost at the same time

[Edited on 1/7/05 by nick205]

flyingkiwi

posted on 1/7/05 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Tip for the next time you have to drill out cherry rivets. There's a locking collar that holds the mandrel in place that you have to remove first then pop out the mandrel. Bit of a bitch to do but if you buzz a drill over the top of the locking collar then use a centre punch to knock it off. Great rivets, been using them myself. Just a b******d to get off.

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

givemethebighammer

posted on 1/7/05 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Deckman has the old catches.
Mix

posted on 2/7/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
To remove a cherrry rivet grind the head back until the locking collar comes off / is ground away, punch the mandrel through the rivet and then drill out the rivet as normal.
A bit more involved than a standard pop rivet but not difficult once you know how.

If you are careful or don't mind marking whatever the rivet is holding on the easiest method is to grind the head off completly and punch out.

Mick

cerbera

posted on 2/7/05 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
If they are the same cherry rivets we use at work all you need to do it punch out the mandrel then with the punch pick out the locking coller then drill the head off as normal.

givemethebighammer

posted on 2/7/05 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I worked out the remove the rivet head and use a pin punch thing after about three rivets and a lot of swearing. no wonder they use them to hold aeroplanes together !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.