Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 Gearbox onto 1600 xflow
flyingkiwi

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 Gearbox onto 1600 xflow

Right, after searching for most of tonight for the answer to the problem of fitting a type 9 onto a xflow I'm really stuck for ideas. I'm sure there are people out there who are thinking - do a search, its been covered before. I've done one.

So far I found out that I should fit a 1300 sierra clutch plate, so I did - the splines are different.

I then tried out idea no 2, a 1600 sierra plate. Splines ok, too big for flywheel.

Great, so after hours of trawling through almost every engine and transmission posts, I'm still lost.

People have fitted 1300 sierra, 1600 sierra, 1300/1600 sierra 7.5" 4 speed clutch, 1300 capri or 1600 mk 3, 4, 5 cortina clutch.

My local motorfactors is getting annoyed with all the bits I get him to order then return slightly battered, so does anyone out there have the definitive answer to Clutches, the type 9 and Xflow engines?

I'm sure its a type 9 as its cast iron (weighs a ton) and has a left input clutch arm.

Help please as my wife is on hot standby with a petrol can and a lit ciggie ready to torch the damn car......

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

iceman26

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
you want a clutch from a 1982 -1985 1600cc sierra
190mm plate with 23 splines have just fitted one last week
this is one on ebay 4584938161

David Jenkins

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a Burton Power catalogue, they list the clutch plate you require...

DJ

Markp

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have sitting in my garage a virtually brand new clutch (about 250miles to it's name) it came off my 1600 xflow which was funny enough bolted to a type 9. Now I'm putting in a zetec I have no use for it, U2U me your details and its yours for the price of postage (around a fiver I would think) the pressure plate is also brand new

hope it helps.

Cheers Mark

Markp

posted on 2/11/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked out cottesmore as your location. If you don't want postage I'm sure I could meet you half way around melton mowbray.
flyingkiwi

posted on 2/11/05 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers MarkP, will take you up on that offer! IF you don't mind mate, is there any chance I could meet you in Melton on Sat? As by chance would have it the missus wanted to go there to spend money in wollies. Will donate some dosh towards beer/fuel for all your troubles, seeing as you just saved me no end of grief!

[Edited on 2-1111-0505 by flyingkiwi]

britishtrident

posted on 3/11/05 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
for the record 2 types of Sierra 1300 clutch driven plate exist, the one that fits has the same part number as the Hillman/Chrysler Avenger.
flyingkiwi

posted on 3/11/05 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
found a bloody good website that details all the clutch diamensions, so managed to find the right number from there.

www.azmotors.co.uk

relatively cheap too, could be a good place for strange bits!

Markp

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Saturday not a problem mate, might be about 11-12 as I have a bonfire party on the friday and will be having some devil drink

Mark

flyingkiwi

posted on 4/11/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
hiya mate, 12 is no problem (got bonfire party friday too) were abouts in melton is best for you? Can meet you in the focus Carpark or Mac D's? or anywere else really

Chris

Markp

posted on 4/11/05 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmm

I don't really know melton that well, only been there once. Whats easy to find??

flyingkiwi

posted on 4/11/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Really depends which way your coming down.

If your coming down the A606 from nottingham, you turn left at the traffic lights onto the 607, you should see signs for Oakham. Follow that road around in the right hand lane past two sets of traffic lights then you'll come to another set of lights, if your still in the right hand lane its dedicated right turn only to Oakham and Leicester, just down there on the left is Mac D's (I'll buy you lunch!)

If your coming another route, I'll find another spot for you.

Markp

posted on 5/11/05 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
i'll be at maccy d's at 12 I have u2u my phone number just in case.

see you soon

Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.