Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Make your own loom kit
flak monkey

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Make your own loom kit

Seen these on ebay recently.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thinwall-wire-custom-loom-kit-ECU-kitcar-engine_W0QQitemZ8029544951QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Contains enough wore to make your own loom apparently. If you want to save some money it could be a good way of doing it!

Anyone had any experience of doing their own loom? Only ask as I am try to save money in anyway possible!

David

Edited because my spelling sucks today!

[Edited on 19/1/06 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

flyingkiwi

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, its bloody hard work if your not leckie minded.

I think research is the key to making or modifing looms, the more info you have the better, and do your own diagram for your car.

Lastly, dont! assemble it in situ. I've learnt the hard way. Its a right bugger to wrap the wires.

Otherwise. Not a problem. Dead easy (will update this reply after the weekend when I test the whole thing for the first time......)

Cheers
Chris

[Edited on 19-101-0606 by flyingkiwi]

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

k33ts

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
i used the siera loom but stripped it down so that i had all the different colours i needed took a while todo though
omega 24 v6

posted on 19/1/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm gonna make my own loom but in 4 stages. Rear loom for lights and possibly fuel pump. Front loom for lights horn cooling fan. Engine loom for whatever I decide and dash loom.
flak monkey

posted on 19/1/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I am fairly electrically minded. Have done plenty of electronic/electrical projects in the past.

I cant see any reason why it would be too difficult to do if done in stages.

That pack of wires any good for making a custom loom? Certainly sounds ok to me...

David

Sera

mark chandler

posted on 19/1/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
"Lastly, dont! assemble it in situ. I've learnt the hard way. Its a right bugger to wrap the wires."

Could not agree more, measure the various distances then make a two dimensional jig with a board and nails, make the loom around that.

Its the ends that cost, I made a rover EFI loom to suit my megasquirt, the connectors and fuse box etc cost nearly £100 !!!!! aarrgh. Trouble with old looms around engines is that the insulation is very brittle so its had to recover the various plugs and re-use so you need to cost this in also.

Regards Mark

Marcus

posted on 19/1/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'd still assemble in situ, BUT wrap the loom with cable ties.
Take it out and wrap properly.

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 19/1/06 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can either use Velcro cable ties as a temporary measure and when you are happy with the finished loom, slide some split plastic corrugated tubing over the top, removing the Velcro ties as you go. Finally put a few turns of black insulating tape in appropriate places to hold the tubing together.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 20/1/06 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Wire your individual circuits back to the fuse box then take power to them, via relays where necessary. Strip the donor loom to see how they do it and leave plenty of spare, you can always bundle it in and tape it or cut it off. Fasten your terminal to the battery with a small mole grip when testing, it's quicker to release than a bolt and think it through when allocating fuses, 2 for sidelights and headlights so you can still see and be seen.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DEAN C.

posted on 20/1/06 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,I made all my own wiring except for using the original engine loom,suitably chopped and modded at the ecu.

For the front and rear looms I used a high quality German made sheathed 11 and 18 core cable.
No wrapping as it is already protected ,looks neater too.
It just happens that the company I work for uses it on the bodies of our refuse lorries to run the hydraulics and lights etc,and we get offcuts occasionally when doing repairs.

Why mess about wrapping it all up if you can buy sheathed cable cheaply,and for the rear loom I would say use trailer cable(7 core)already wrapped in a nice black weatherproof outer.
I would not bother buying loads of seperate cables it will take too long and you'll probably find it very slow work.

If you look in my archive (electrickery),in the bottom right you can see the multi core cable I mean,this is before I taped the ends and tie wrapped it all up.

[Edited on 20/1/06 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

ed_crouch

posted on 20/1/06 at 01:49 AM Reply With Quote
Im planning on making the loom for my Indy.

But then I was taught how to make wiring looms to aerospace standards at Uni, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

flak monkey

posted on 20/1/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.

Will have a go at making my own I think.

Dean: Where did you get your fuse holders from? RS dont do them...

Cheers,
David

Sera

andyharding

posted on 20/1/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
I made my own loom from scratch. Took me a weekend and that includes a transponder immobiliser. SVA didn't make any comment about the wiring specifically.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

splitrivet

posted on 20/1/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Why bother with a loom use a flexible conduit to adaptable boxes at either end,then trailer cable from the lights into the adaptable boxes,looks neater and the wirings better protected.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

iank

posted on 20/1/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Can get fuseboxs, relay bases etc etc here:
http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/

DEAN C.

posted on 22/1/06 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
Flak monkey, as iank says I think premier are as cheap and good as anyone,mine are the same as the extra fuseboxes on commercial vehicles for body feeds.
They came out of a scrap lorry as we quite often chop one for spares.

You will also find plenty of good prices at autojumbles and the kit car shows,definately buy bladed types though as it is harder to get the old fuses now.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.