Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol Resistant Gasket
James

posted on 23/1/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol Resistant Gasket

Having ballsed up cutting the hole for the sender in my tank I have to seal the spare 2" diameter hole in the top!

Not having easy access to a TIG set right now I just want to cover the hole.

I've made a disc up to do it but I need some gasket compound that's petrol resistant.

I've seen Hermetite Red at Halfords but it just says petrol resistant. I want something that will definately survive petrol long-term.

Any ideas? Or is the Hermetite Red fine for this?

Thanks,
James

EDIT: added in the missing 'G's!

[Edited on 23/1/06 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

DarrenW

posted on 23/1/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you get a petrol tank repair compound that comes in a stick still. Ive used it before. Im sure you can work it in your hands to soften it up (just like plastercine). Im wondering if this will then act as a seal??
It was in a cylindrical pot, roughly 1" dia, 3 or 4" long. Only a couple of quid. Granvilles rings a bell as the make.

I used it on an old cars tank that had a slight leak around one of the pipes. Worked a treat.

I seem to remember my neighbour used the red stuff on his vintage car to seal the sender in, it squished inside when tightened down and then broke free when it cured and worked its way partially up the fuel feed to the carb. I dont think it 'melted' as such but had a similar effect as dropping a plastic bag in your tank - ie car will always run fine when your mates are standing round trying to help but when you are poshed up taking wife out it will break down just as it starts raining.

lsdweb

posted on 23/1/06 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
Frost automotive?
emsfactory

posted on 23/1/06 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
You can use epoxy.
02GF74

posted on 23/1/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
the sender on series land rover is fitted on top of a cork gasket using 6 small screws.

if it was me, I'd use some gasket material under the disc instead of cork; you can buy it is sheet form and cut to size.

flyingkiwi

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Got a large supply of stuff called PRC, use it for fuel tank repairs on the RAF jets (the RAF use it to stick almost everything together)

Great stuff, but bloody stinks. U2U me if your interested and I'll bung some in the post.

Chris

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

paulf

posted on 23/1/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I used red hermetite to seal my fuel sender and had no leaks, however when I removed the inline filter recently I found a lot of hermetite particles inside it.It hadent dissolved but appeared to be bits that had broke off from the inside of the gasket and bolt holes.
Paul

Mix

posted on 24/1/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Flyingkiwi has the 'solution'

Mick

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.